Musical Scale

Why the Octatrack and other Elektron box don’t have scale?
It’s really that impossible to ask Elektron to do this?
I found really weird especially for how Elektron box works: chaos in control. It make sense that in all that craziness you want to be able to stay in key.
In modular a quantizer isn’t a pretty module but it’s super handy if you want do something traditionally musical with all that madness or anyway it makes the process easier.
All the Elektron box have 16 steps which will allowed 2 octave or more in certain scale, I really don’t see how this won’t be handy for everyone.
Anyway we can push Elektron about this?

4 Likes

Digitone has scales. Not sure about the others.
Ive got an octatrack, it does have scale mode. For the midi tracks. So if you want to do a midi loop back, that would probably work. @sezare56 probably knows.

Cant say I have ever wished for scale mode on the sample playback side. Its not that hard to look up a scale and learn it.

3 Likes

The Digitone has the best implementation of this in my experience, but the Analog Four has some version of scales as well, and the Octatrack does have scales for the Arp I believe?

3 Likes

For controlling other gear to then sample into the OT, setting a scale on the Arp (even without the Arp being active) will lock notes to a musical scale.

2 Likes

The point is not about learn the scale, I know how to play it I sequence my OT live with a keyboard.
Workaround are nice but they’re not the same and sometimes don’t really give the utility of a function. Yeah the OT can lock notes to a musical scale but you still got only 16 keys with a chromatic layout.
The advantage of musical scale on a box with 16 pads/button is that it gives you direct access to multiple octave and make it easier playing live.
I mean the OT use its step buttons to play track, keyboard, slice, slot,delay fx and to edit sequencer and lfo designer why not musical scale? :upside_down_face:
It’s like add all the OT fxs but forget the filter :confused:

3 Likes

Aye, I would personally love to see two octave musical scales added across the 16 trig keys on every single Elektron box ever made. Send an email to feature-request@elektron.se :crossed_fingers:

11 Likes

Will do :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:rofl:

I’m in! It has been requested for Digitone too.

Workaround before update : tuned slices.
I requires more work!
I made a 64 notes from Rhodes samples inside OT. A scale can be done, and pitched to transpose.
Randomized from midi tracks (an Ethiopian scale played by lfo designer randomly, 6 tracks).

12 Likes

Yep. But not with the Chromatic or external keyboard IIRC.
A random lfo on Notes with active scale > randomized scale.

1 Like

Ah so you’d like scale mode within the chromatic mode, right?

I fail to see what’s funny??? Obviously I’m not talking about SidStation, Heat, etc.

You said it :wink:

Maybe to request a feature on the OT is kind of funny.

3 Likes

That’s extremely beautiful :yellow_heart:

2 Likes

It will be a feature request for every Elektron box really as pattern scale.
Also they still sell Octatrack so I don’t see the reason why not. The majority of groovebox has it so it’s reasonable ask for.

1 Like

Seen the few changes in the last firmware (a screensaver) and even the lack of features added to the MKII, i would not count on Elektron to support this product.

I think they are more into the Model series. I guess selling these cheaper products makes a better business than listening to owners of an 8 years old product…

Time will tell. :content:

7 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if at the very least, things like trig+yes to preview and holding multiple trigs to alter plocks get added.

I would love if the Digitone scales were post sequencer or quantized somehow, so that you could try different scales without dialing the notes again.

And on a more probable update I wish we had more than just diatonic scales and more chord options.

5 Likes