Musical Scale

If it’s Wishes Time, I would like the crossfader to be able to be assigned or Midi tracks…

Edit: Btw @sezare56 I saw on another thread that you could control Midi Scenes with Mozaic? You confirm?

1 Like

Yes please

2 Likes

I confirm that you can control different CCs mapping crossfader CC48’s with midi processors, Goliath being made with that functionality. But I can’t confirm about Mozaic I don’t know…:content:

To be honest I never used any scale lock feature in any synth, both hardware and software. Maybe it is time to look at this as an opportunity to learn some music theory. Electronic music is often too much focused on rythm and sound design because of poor musical training.

1 Like

Indeed, one could consider notes as being an important part of music :wink:

1 Like

Synth has keys and they got more than 16 notes available. It’s just convenient have 2 octave on 16 step, it doesn’t matter if I know or don’t know music theory.
Also especially in a box like the OT which people often throw LFO everywhere could be a nice option to have quantize pitch modulation instead of PLock everything.
It could be great on different usage,something nice I could think of is double a track, LFO on Pitch, Chorus/Delay and a Dark Reverb and you make a nice modulated reverb to use which will still be in key with your song.
Or when you use the crossfader to modulate Pitch or Lfo Depth to Pitch everything can be in key.
And many many more usage which none of them is related to the fact I know or don’t music theory.

I play keys decently but frankly why somebody should learn music theory when you have so many machine with scale function, midi pack, AI and autotune? I mean somebody without music theory can do a song more articulate than mine and yours why waist time learn it?
And btw music theory is just a mathematic convenient way to organise pleasant frequency and scale a way to shrink some of these frequency so for our brain they make more sense.
A scale function in a sampler is a mathematic more convenient way of doing the same thing, why one is good and the other ignorant?
I actually think that don’t worry about dissonant frequency it’s a much more an efficient way of doing music and I could play notes in a different way which can might make something new but definitely something not possible on traditional keys.

Yes, but I carefully avoided to use sarcasm as you did (nice sarcasm I should say) because this forum is often populated by kids that tend to be easily triggered by polemics and love to apply a black-white philosophy to the world.

1 Like

LFO Designer to the rescue! :elot: :heart:

2 Likes

If you see it as a waste of time, then it is probably not for you.
I guess it depends if we want tools for musicians or if we want a box that makes music for us.
For this you use auto generative apps. And they have auto-scale functions.

PS: i think it’s proven now that Autotune has killed any form of singing skill in the ones using it :wink:

1 Like

Sorry, i was just emphasing what you said before.

I may be just too oldschool or black&white as well. I tend to really dislike the fact that we’d like everything to be done for us. Kills the creativity at the highest point for me.

I’ve learned a bit of music theory, and it really helped me break out of the same few harmonies I would use on everything. It only really clicked for me when I started playing an instrument, and started listening to more diverse genres.

That said, I think having tools to assist in writing songs such as scale modes, chord sets or even AI generated patterns or progressions, is great. They can speed up your workflow and get your creative juices flowing. For me, nothing kills creativity quite like a blank page. Its still up to the musician to do something interesting with the tools they are given.

Having a scale mode on the Rytm would be a big plus for me. Those 12 pads in chromatic mode only go so far!

3 Likes

While I love NOT knowing what I’m doing on a pad layout and using my ears, I am 100% behind you on this one. How great would it be to have eight pads used for a scale and either four above or below covering half of the next octave. Or use the other 4 to switch the type of scale. Long press CHRO to enter/exit.

2 Likes

I see scale as a mean to get out of western music, as well.
AFX really helped me embrace these weird tones, to the point where my ear is now looking for this, while as a child I couldn’t stand my cousins learning violin ^^

As the wizard said, using slices on OT is a good way to go there.
Would love scales on DN though.

3 Likes

WiliWizWow!

3 Likes

Discussion help everybody they just don’t have to become offensive.
I might not change my idea but having another point of view is always better than having just mine. :slight_smile:

Yeah sure but then you use an OT which kills drummer skills.
I don’t disagree with you but then we shouldn’t use the majority of what we own. The only instrument I got which doesn’t technically kills any skills is a pair of shacker lol.
I mean even your DAW kills skills, recording skills. You should record on tape instead of using an audio interface to your DAW. Why would you record on tape when you have a much more convenient way of doing that?And you can still record professionally…the difference? You don’t have to learn millions of things like the tape guy.

But even then a scale function is handy. You could make your own scale with microtuning :wink:
Something I experiment a lot on my Korg Monologue.

1 Like

How would your perceived feature request help with making microtuned scales? @sezare56 already gave you the solution to this, make your own scales as slices and play them with the slice keyboard. You can have 64 slices, that’s 64 custom notes that are directly accessible via the trigs, isn’t this what you wanted?

1 Like

This is OK for Octatrack, and as a mono synth.
Scala support for Elektron polysynths would be nice indeed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mmmmhhh i read carefully but i have to disagree.

High skilled drummer will definitely kill your OT skills in terms of grooves and so on.
The skills needed to record on a DAW maybe different than to record on tape but still you need some skills or you’ll end with crap results. Digital is obviously different from analogue but still can end up badly. If things results are so easy to obtain that you don’t need to get interested or work anymore, then i’d ask why making music? You could just save a lot of efforts and press play on a random sound machine generating sound for you.

Whereas with auto tune, you don’t need no skill at at all. Just mumble with your hangover morning voice and that’ll be in tune. Shitty but in tune.
Once again, it has to see with the travel and not the destination: if saving efforts is more important than the rest then… good luck with your plans.

Guys I think you end up in a “bad” circle. Don’t get me wrong workarounds are nice and I abuse them but that doesn’t have to be an excuse to don’t ask Elektron or any company to do their job.
@sezare56 solutions are awesome, I learned so much from him but we wouldn’t need solutions if we didn’t have problems :slight_smile:
It’s like yeah you can kinda slice on the Digitakt but it shouldn’t be acceptable that Elektron didn’t implement Slice on a great sampler.
The problem with workaround is that they just give you a solution where features give you opportunities. You can actually do what @sezare56 said because the OT has features that allow you to do that. Why wouldn’t you want more then?

I play the OT with a midi keyboard and I also use Maschine which has musical scales.
My point is you use the OT because the OT inspire you something or whatever, you can achieve the same and more in your DAW so why you use the OT? :slight_smile:

A scale is just something that lock a specific frequency to a button, even a chromatic scale does the same, the OT actually lock the Pitch parameter. The user scale will be like the LFO designer where by holding a step you can adjust the pitch of every step, maybe A coarse and B fine tuning.

2 Likes