Music is dying

Music is coming back to the people, and away from massive record companies. Fine by me.

Music is dying?
OP is lying!

Someone record a track with those lyrcis and post it here

1 Like

the homogenization of the lowest common denominator is an ongoing process beset by the exponential growth in populations which are increasingly complicated by their ever expanding trends of being unsustainable on every level of reality and the inevitable distortions which are clung to in a desperate attempt to deny it

you see - if there were no kids, there would be no one to get off my lawn… so it all fits together nice and neat that way

5 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: Inappropriate bickering

By Jeebus H - where’s the Has Pop Music Became British thread when you need it?

2 Likes

pandering to the millennial micro attention span with poppy hiphop rubbish… grim job., not sure why anyone tries to keep up with these shallow little smartphone operators. hearing autotuned vocal pophop makes me shudder.

What happened to the Pet Shop Boys and to Stock Aitken Waterman-Artists?
Go West and Rick Astley Hits were brilliant.

The more elektronic instruments I collect and experiment with the more I am listening to the opposite:

5 Likes

deleted

2018-07-29%2014_56_58-Music%20is%20dying%20-%20The%20Lounge%20_%20General%20Discussion%20-%20Elektronauts

7 Likes

I recently found this option . Works wonders on many threads , including the ‘my synth wont turn on , should I plug it in ? ‘
Including the threads where I ask questions without using search function / YouTube.

Well … who is really to blame?

The industry often produces, what the most people like most. Because this makes the money. You don’t sell a horribly tasting candy bar to the masses, even if you try. There is a limit to brainwash your customers … :wink:

1 Like

There’s this thing called marketing though… Spend tons of money on it and sometimes even amazingly bad music (or other products) can become popular.

The reasons for it being the best album ever recorded isn’t just because of the music, it’s also about the originality of the music and the groundbreaking techniques used in recording the album.

I agree with you though it’s definitely not one of the best albums ever recorded. I like a bit of beatles but not in an album sense, more of a compilation album sense.

Absolutely true for many cases including musc, but there is a limit … particularly with music. I think, we could put millions on the table to promote music from Karl-Heinz Stockhausen or other vanguard artists and we would have near to no success.

Sometimes I think that most people just love common standards, be it rhythm, harmony, or melody. Most of us are coined by our culture and the music we listened to in our youth. Even great composers of the past and of classic orchestral music used themes inspired by folkmusic.

Modern music industry just follows the same old formula or success. Of course they could, like in the 70ies to the 90ies, produce more diversity, but to the risk of making less money. The bigger the company, the bigger the make-money-only attitude of the shareholders, the less the accepted risk. Simply as this.

Just to switch the angle, because it’s often the same process. Once there was a woman in the UK presenting a story about a young fellow becoming a wizard in a world of magic. The big players simply told her that nobody would be interested to read her story and sent her away … well … one small independent publisher liked it … published it and I guess … made a hell of a money with “Harry Potter”.

As long as indipendent lables exist, there is hope :wink:

2 Likes

Remember all those diverse Doo-wop songs? Music was truly alive in those days.

1 Like

The industry often produces, what they think most people like most

Just my take.

I think Mr. Beato is mainly pointing out a chord progression which is apparently the most overused in all over pop music. I don’t really avoid using pop chord progressions in my music, but I have managed to not use the one that has drawn Mr. Beato’s ire in particular. For those who haven’t watched the video, it’s:

vi IV I V

Interesting that the Beatles in their 20+ top hits only used this progression once.

I’m not really sure the vi IV I V progression is what the masses consistently want. There are indeed many pop hits that use it, but there others that don’t - or at least don’t feature it a s much: “Happy”, “Get Lucky”, etc. However, it’s an entertaining thought - as hypothesized by Beato - that our favorite music industry villains are forcing this progression on lower-ranking industry pros (songwriters, arrangers, etc.)

1 Like

to what end would some shadowy group be pushing a certain progression though?
it’s just a chord progression that works.
there aren’t that many really.

my tuppenceworth:

“liking” music is generally a function of having your cultural expectations of “music” very slightly confounded.
That is to say: people mostly like what they expect with a little unexpected twist.

A lot of people don’t strain their musical muscles much beyond what their culture accepts as “music”. People that are really into music tend to explore a bit more - so there are more things for them to expect, and enjoy a little twist on.
So people on here, who have developed taste enough to think that gamelan, or noise music, or grindcore, or gabba are music are maybe slightly disposed to think vi-IV-I-V is a bit pedestrian, but your average “I quite like music, but I wouldn’t go to an experimental noise night” person still finds it enjoyable (as do I tbh, nothing wrong with something simple done with feeling)

I don’t think it’s anything but “common denominator”. Writing pop songs that appeal to millions of people involves keeping things fairly simple.

I’m not sure this is “bad”. The underground occasionally has an incursion into the mainstream and changes what the mainstream sounds like (witness how much pop sounded like dubstep a few years ago and how much it sounds like trap now)

often the people writing the “forumulaic” pop songs are pretty deep music fans and use the sounds of the underground in a pop context. Experimentalism and pop exist in symbiosis.

getting uppity about Pop being made to a formula is like shouting at the rain.

this book is really good on this stuff incidentally!

1 Like

Music ‘feels’ like it dying because its hard to find new music. You have it all at your finger tips.
The thrill of ‘finding’ new musc is gone. The days of savoring that new music is gone. Listen to half a track and move on to the next.

Thank you internet.
We dont need access to everything all the time the moment we want it.

Rather than saying music is dying…id say…the appreciation of music is waining.

But…yes…pop music is dead. It died in 1994. :slight_smile:

That is the reason i said ‘feels’.

There definitely is good stuff to be had out there. The difference is the hunt has been changed from hanging out listening to dj’s and sifting through records stores to searching through thousands of tracks available all at once.
A little less compelling, but just as rewarding when you find something that resonates.