Music is dying

Lots of people would already know this, but still worth 20 minutes of downtime to listen to this little piece.

4 Likes

Havent watched the Video; just relate to the Topic Title now:

Im still pushing Music on my Smartphone, listening solely to it while smoking on my balcony … just enjoying it! :slight_smile: I dont need a fancy Video in that moment, neither do i need anything else around me. Just the Cigarette and the music - thats all! :slight_smile:

So, i wouldnt say that Music is dying - theres just too much of it so its harder to find what you really wanna listen to - in whatever mood you currently are!

6 Likes

Everything dies.

17 Likes

In your case it’s difficult to tell what kills you first: your urge for nicotin or the music… :wink:

2 Likes

disagree. the video became satire when he introduced the “millennial whoop”. taking the beatles and comparing them to acts like bieber and rihanna seems like a false equivalence. no one (since the 60s) believes you’ll regularly find exceptional music with progressive artistic merits on the radio or mtv. this argument is as old as The Billboard top 40 itself. +1 for the acrobatic skill needed to substantiate this particular argument in order to justify being an old fogey yelling at clouds about “kids these days”. science n shit.

10 Likes

Long live the Octatrack! :smile:

10 Likes

Not again.

3 Likes

Am on my balcony smoking a cigar, drinking a cognac, listening to the birds and reading a wonderful comment about a guy smoking a cigarette on its balcony while listening to good music. Much better than watching this video !

20 Likes

Katy Perry is smoking

4 Likes

Everybody know’s music died that cold winter night February 3, 1959…

9 Likes

Every 5 years ‘they’ state music is dead. No need to watch videos for that :stars:

Watching the stars :sparkles: is enough to know they are lying :lying_face:

2 Likes

And we were singing bye bye MPC live, drove my electribe to the party but the dance floor was dry, them good ole nauts were drinking Octauasca on high, singing this will be the day that I fly, this will be the day that I fly…

29 Likes

there is still good music but now with the internet there is no scene where the birth and growth of a movement to be part of physically ( where you were able to search and research it and partake)…now, there is so much going on and it seems like what sounds interesting is buried underneath millions stacks of edmish stuff…its still there but intern of being a movement it is crawling.

Take your music to the streets, everywhere, for years. Then you can be part of a movement, you are the movement. Don’t upload your stuff, play it live, and let the consumers/fans upload and share. No hiding, if you’re good, you get away with it :sunglasses:

I am 43 and have a family, it’s not my ambition.

But if you have that fire, there are ways!

4 Likes

being an active member/participant in the local music community I have never once in my life thought music was dead or dying. I’m lucky to live in a major city, I guess.

music may be dying as a way to make a lot of money with relatively little effort, but that’s not really what music is for in the first place.

12 Likes

It would be like a zombie final death or something, because music is already dead since YEARS ago.

1 Like

We can react to a title, or we can read the article/watch the video. In the video he talks specifically about the popular chart industry music and compares the quality of that music in the 60s and 70s with more modern popular chart industry music.

Of course music is not limited to just that narrow definition. As this forum exemplifies.

I thought the mention of timbre, dynamic range, and lyrical intelligence as qualifiers for musical quality to be an interesting topic. As was the discussion on how music is distributed to the end listener today compared with say 40 years ago.

His point was also that older people tend to say ‘modern music is rubbish’, then, he discussed why they say that. And in parts, especially as someone fascinated with composition and production, I would agree. Rich timbres, dynamic range, and lyrical intelligence do make for quality music. The way we consume music does influence our regard for it.

A character in the film ‘‘The Commitments’’ said ‘‘Everything’s shite since Roy Orbison died’’

Personally I think it all started to go downhill when John Peel died…

3 Likes

perhaps mainstream popular high sales music… quite a narrow type of music , also seems very focused on eu/usa type genres , how about india , russia , … all the other places that exist on this planet.

not sure if autechre , plaid , prodigy , orbital , aphex , kraftwerk , modeselektor etc fall in this category … things on warp, cpu , firescope etc …
quite a lot of popular pop tunes annoy the f@ck out of me … metallica , oasis , most blur , most radiohead , all rolling stones … i’ve never deliberately put on any beatles album , it certainly hasnt lasted the full length of the album.

1 Like

radio6 are doing ok , maybe not during the day but evening wise its not too bad.

unfortunately they still have steve lamaq and some awful middle of the road tedious generic crap during the day/weekends. … have you tried to endure that bloke from Elbow doing his show ?

2 Likes

Haha no mate, I left the UK 8 years ago.
Mark Lamar did some good shows after John Peel, I could never really get on with Steve Lamaq or Jo Whiley.
As for that bloke from Elbow… I wont even start…
Cheers!