Music Copyright is CRAP: A Collection of Cases

Hi guys,

I recently finished a video essay and the contents of it were actually inspired by this forum.

That’s the thread I mention in the beginning of the video.

I figure since that comment is one of my top-rated comments here on this lovely site, you guys may also be interested in the contents of the essay. This is my first time branching out into this kind of medium (one I’ve voraciously consumed over the years–figure it’s time to give back) so go easy on me :stuck_out_tongue: Hope you all can learn something.

15 Likes

I think copyright should be limited to ~15 years across the board.

2 Likes

Many would argue that the artist should get paid for their work as long as they’re alive. Theres a lot of discussion to be had there.

5 Likes

The problem comes when it’s no longer the artist making the money from those royalties. As soon as record labels, lawyers, “estates” or just some rich fucker become the main benficiary it stops being about protecting the work of artists and simply becomes a money game.
We pay artists royalties out of respect for their hard work and inspiration. If we’re not paying the artist, there’s no respect, just lining pockets.
The problem, as in most areas, is with rich arseholes exploiting the system to increase and maintain their own wealth.

7 Likes

Great essay …

I think most of us would agree that people or organisations doing work, should get a fair compensation and that stealing ideas from others is undesired socially and economically.

I think the task is to get an agreement what shall be protected, how it should be protected, and how long.

And all of this should be ruled by common sense or even better ethics rather than lawyers. There have been too many cases - not only in the music industry - where lawyers have created particular business cases just to make profit for themselves.

Exactly … and let me add this … “without any benefit for the community but for themselves”

1 Like

Not about music or royalties but a good conversation about the sort of motherfuckers and bullshit “monetising” everyone in creative arts has to deal with. For every great piece of art, there’s at least a dozen bastards trying to claim a piece of it.

4 Likes

The argument I’ve heard against this is that a lot of artists (and others) worked hard to support their family, their kids, their community, etc. Many men want to leave behind a lot of wealth for their loved ones–who are we to say what they can/can’t do with their money? And, by some extension, with the rights to the things that make them money?

It all depends how you define “stealing ideas”, that’s what scares me the most. Sam Smith did not steal an idea from Tom Petty–it was coincidence that the two songs sounded similar (not even the exact same, but similar). Who defines an “idea”? The blues progression is an idea. Deciding to sing a bluesy, flatted third is an idea. Where is the line drawn?

I listened to this whole podcast the day it came out–I love these guys haha. Too bad they spent most of the time talking about cars and sports! I listen to Bill’s podcast twice a week and my eyes always glaze over when he talks about sports–which is at least half the time.

2 Likes

The royalty industry is still stuck in the past century with their mindset. A long time ago when there was no infrastructure available for artists to release and distribute music themselves big labels and managers had their place but they got so used to their benefits that over time they turned the tables. At this point they are almost like parasites, leeching other people’s work for their own benefit and when the artist is sucked dry they jump on to the next one.

Big companies never path new ways for artists but instead they‘ll do everything they can to keep things as they are for as long as possible. The music industry never realized the potential of the internet until it was too late and only after a big company like Apple came out with the iPod and the iTunes store they finally gave in and excepted the new reality. Same with the movie industry and now that streaming is successful we have countless streaming options but only after the path has already been set by others. Before that they only played their shady game of lawsuits and contracts that benefit them the most even though they only do administrative work at best.

Copyright still has its place but is so dramatically outdated that it’s just pathetic at this point. Most of the laws where made when most of us weren’t even alive and when things like the internet and affordable computers weren’t even a thing in theory. Descendants still being able to live off their passed family members‘ work is beyond me and that someone who didn‘t have anything to do with the creative process can have the rights to the creative work. Like in so many fields of life we’re exploited by people who blind other people with their bullshit because they wouldn’t make it on their own.

2 Likes

I’m glad someone is clearly as passionate about this issue as I am…As I was working on my video for countless hours I began to think I was a crazy person and that maybe I give too much of a shit haha.

1 Like

Well now we have a few enormous companies taking the whole cake instead. I’m not sure that’s better. The selection of movies available to me on streaming services where I live is actually worse than my local rentals in the late 90’s.

1 Like

UMG and Viacom hit my video for the first upload I did with three hits…But Apple music (“beatles”) was the only one to outright block my video.

As I say in the description I’m shocked only four bits of footage were hit.

The Marvin Gaye/Robin Thicke verdict is the one that really concerns me, as it has set the precedent that any element of a song can be claimed as copyright, making pretty much all music fair game for copyright holders to bully and extort more cash out of people.
A system designed to protect people’s art has been taken over by greedy shitbags desperate to find new revenue streams, in turn doing potentially huge damage to the development of the art. These high profile lawsuits are the tip of the iceberg. As rights holders get more desperate they will get bolder and nets will be cast wider in search of cheap revenue.
I’m a nobody on YouTube (less than 20 subscribers and a couple of hundred views) and I’ve had two motherfuckers try and copyright claim me in the last 12 months.

2 Likes

Yeah, UMG will get you before you finish uploading mate. They’re fucking animals.

The Youtube dmca system was never meant to protect people’s art, but rather was designed to protect corporate IP investments. The same is largely true for copyright in general.

1 Like

The algorithms are just…nuts. I was advised by someone to upload all the videos in private first and see what sort of hits I get. At least they’re very specific about where the hits happen, so I was able to go back in and just replace those bits of video with other bits of video

…then I got hit by the Marvin Gaye estate again for using live footage. Then I got hit by “THE VOICE AUSTRALIA” for using live footage and I said “Screw it” and used Band Hero footage (that I ripped from youtube).

1 Like

Amen. It’s gone too far.

I’m not radical about…well, anything really, but part of me wants copyright law to just go away entirely. It’s so damaging and stifling to all creators.

1 Like

For sure, I was talking much more about the original intentions of copyright law. The origins of copyright laws in the UK were about the breaking up of corporate control and ownership of publishing. It was the Statute of Anne in 1710 that ended the monopoly of booksellers and gave writers royalties for a defined period. It also created the public domain, the point being that the law would encourage scholars to write and give the people better access to education. It took the majority of the 18th century for the law to win over the greed and game playing of the bookselling monopolies.
Also the T.P. O’Connor bill in 1906 was a copyright law designed to protect musicians from piracy gangs copying and undercutting their sheet music. It was a real problem at the time, with musicians living in the most extreme poverty.

3 Likes

There have been enough cases, where a producer sampled an original and pasted it more or less unprocessed in a project. IMO this is stealing ideas and hard work of others.

Many of us like particular artists and listen to their music often enough to have tunes, chord progressions, and rythms of successful songs in the back of our minds. IMO we should be aware of this and ackowledge that we might have just “copied” a too large part of the artists work into our own. What “too large” means has to be defined by some law or agreement. But there is always the option, to aks for permission.

I think many agree that some chord-progression should never belong to a person or organisation, but if a song has a particular style or making, which makes it stand out from others, then protection is justified … at least for a certain time. Even technical patents don’t last for ever. After some decades it becomes common knowledge and protection is withdrawn. IMO the same should go for music.

But let’s consider an example of a hard to miss phrase like the synth-progression of Van Halens “Jump”. It’s one of the most simplest patches on a poly-synth and not at all complicated to play. But it became something like the begin of hymn, which is recognised and loved by many people. Such things need to be protected … beeing simple or complex, be it the “match”, or the “zipper”, or something like a new “software algorithm”.

Of course that can happen. But it might be a very rare case in these days. With releases through internet platforms it should be at least possible to document that somebody releases a second title such that the time between the two releases is too short - judged by common sense - to copy the idea and run a full production. But if a title is online for some days or weeks, a coincidence becomes more and more unlikly.

1 Like

If you would be the child of a ceblebritry and getting money, because your parents had some top hits in the charts, which makes money just so, would you also critisize this?

IMO there should be a time of protection and after this period the IPR should go public domain. But what would be a fair time? That’s to be debated …