Munro Sonic Egg monitors

Has anyone compared the eggs to the iLoud MTM? I can’t afford either at the moment, just curious lol.

2 Likes

I’m trying to resist those eggs. Does anyone know if they sound ok at low volumes, or do they need a certain level to shine? (Being in a terraced house, and doing most of my music work in the evening, I can’t crank levels very often)

To resist those eggs I had to re-read the SOS review for my Adam P11A’s

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/adam-p11a

3 Likes

The Egg 150 system arrived. Haven’t had the time to set them up yet, first impressions though:

The amp weighs a felt 20kg and is much bigger than anticipated, the speakers themselves are lightweight, also a good size (6” woofers). Everything looks well put together and the materials are nice throughout.

Will set them up tonight and start breaking them in. Excited.

6 Likes

Those eggs are bloody tempting, tempting enough for me to come out of hibernation and make a post.
Doing a bit of research and I found this SOS article for the original eggs and this paragraph made me a bit wary of ever having to get a 3rd party repair made:

The ‘no-downtime’ warranty works in a similar way. Should the Egg 150 system fail because of a manufacturing defect, SE will ship a complete new system to stand in for your own system, while the latter is returned to SE for repair. Once fixed, it is returned and the loan system reclaimed. Again, minimal downtime and minimal hassle. Of course, the reason the entire system has to be shipped back — both speakers and the amplifier unit — is because the amplifier channels are finely matched to the drivers, and any repair or replacement will require complete realignment of the whole system to maintain the original factory specifications and tolerances.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/se-electronics-munro-egg-150

Still very very tempted to pull the trig on these though!

2 Likes

Sure, but what happens if the company doesn’t exist anymore ?

1 Like

To me, that repair policy puts the EGG speakers firmly in the category of things to buy if and only if $1000 is within a person’s impulse-buy budget. When the EGGs can no longer be serviced, you simply buy another cool looking set of monitors.

Which is good, because I’m perfectly happy with my JBL 306s and collection of headphones.

4 Likes

Those JBLs are underrated IMO. I just gave away my old 308s only because we need the space, but I honestly wish I could have used them somewhere different (but we don’t have that different space yet).

2 Likes

That was exactly the point I was making. Hmm could be a risk.

1 Like

Please keep us posted. I’m seriously on the fence. I did some reading and it seems some users are stating there is a fair amount of “hiss” when using in a near field scenario. I’m only about 5.5ft away from my monitors as is so if there is hiss, I will hear it, and I will loathe it.
I’m currently using JBLlsr4828ps and though they are generally decent monitors, they are way too large for my space and I end up needing to final mix on headphones to get remotely good bass.
Anyway, can’t wait to hear your verdict.

1 Like

Ok, posting a first update here given the interest in the product/current deal:

Only got to set them up tonight. The amplifier had me restructuring parts of my desk space, it is quite big and has to be positioned freestanding to ensure proper ventilation (didn’t dare to squeeze it under my rack due to heat etc).

This is what they look like on the desk:

That’s a 27” monitor floating above the amp, for size reference. The blue LEDs on the speakers are meant to help set up the listening position, they can be turned off with a switch on the back of the amplifier (I believe).

It’s 3:30am here and I just finished setting up and am really tired, so will do the critical listening bit in the coming days.

Of course I listened to some material tonight anyway though :), first impressions as follows:

Transients are very tight — very compact, speedy sound for a lack of better words. The bass is very tight and well behaved as well. Not muddy at all, very compact but definitely not massive in the bottom end, my 8” Dynaudios (obviously) go lower. High end is very present and bright, somewhat reminds me of the sound of Adam ribbons, but slightly tamer/less harsh to my ears (my ears are very sensitive to the high end). The high end paired with the sharp transients could lead to fatigue for me, but it’s still on the “this sounds very clear and detailed” side of things — they may very well need to break in first, so take this bit with a grain of salt.

The separation and detail on these is insane as is the stereo imaging…3D and immersive, it’s almost psychedelic lol, which totally got in the way of doing any decent critical listening tonight lol.

Lots of detail in the mids and high mids, the highs are brutal in poorly recorded / mixed reference material…I listened to a terrible recording of Paco de Lucia (Que Carretera - Manuel Galindo & Paco de Lucia, 2018) and I had to actually turn it off within 20 seconds, it sounded like shit in an offensive way lol. Another example that surprised me negatively is Ibrahim Maalouf’s Maeva in Wonderland, again the high end being brutal and all over the place…Comparing that to something commercial grade like FKA Twigs “Water Me” - which sounds incredible - it seems that these EGGs will be very revealing.

I will let them go all night tonight & the next 2-3 days possibly to break em in, the tight tight transients and the sharp high end have me thinking these need to be broken in. Also consider that I haven’t really messed with any frequency compensation (accessible on the back of the amplifier) to account for the somewhat suboptimal positioning in my room (close to a wall, placed on the table etc).

Overall I’m really impressed with the quality of these and a little blown away by how bad they sound (right now) on badly recorded/mixed material - which is a good thing. But it’s hard to judge any of it confidently, I’m waaay tired lol.

Re hiss, if you mean its tonal footprint, the high end is (currently still) sharp (less sharp than Adams but sharper than eg Dynaudios or Genelecs), but I wouldn’t call that “hiss-y” at all. If you’re referring to noise when silent, there’s zero hissing on my units, they’re perfectly quiet and build quality is really good.

EDIT: I should add that compared to my JBL LSR305s and Kali Audios LP-6s, these already are MILES above and beyond in quality, resolution, detail, imaging etc. No comparison at all.

Good night / good morning everyone.

12 Likes

I’m in the US so I wrote to gear4music asking about the warranty (they state 2 years) and if it is still valid for me on the other side of the water, I’m probably going to pick em up.
I know shipping for service would suck but no warranty at all would be worse.
As stated earlier, my JBL’s are just way too much for this room and the stereo image is very poor. The bass is ridiculous too. I’ve been using these for near 10 years and my mixes still suck on them. I have to use headphones with room emulation software to polish everything off and that’s just not ideal.
Thanks again for all your efforts and willingness to share your experience!

1 Like

After some digging an emailing turns out this company are responsible for production and warranty repairs. That’s still a fair old chunk of cash for me to part with, so wanna know there’s defo longevity in it

3 Likes

Phoenix Audio is running a sale on this preamp EQ combo, this is a good deal for someone who wants two 1073s with an EQ.

3 Likes

Thx. Still on the fence. Plus I’d have to change my sound card and cables for XLR input, no TRS on the EGG system.
BTW there’s some good stuff on your desk :wink:

1 Like

You can use a TRS to XLR cable from your audio interface to the amplifier (that‘s what I do with my Apollo 8). The cables used to connect the speakers to the amplifier are included in the box :wink:

And thank you :wink:

1 Like

Great to read this. I’ve been using them as I wrote before since they pretty much came out and love them. Only had issues with the early design of the amps which kept blowing fuses when switched on.

Mine is racking in a Zadar rack and had no issues with overheating or needing more ventilation, so no worries about that.

Have fun with these lovely things!

5 Likes

You’re not helping…

2 Likes

ha ha, I’m sorry!

3 Likes

Had them play material for the past 16 hours straight to further break them in and was out working then out with the family…finally came home and now spent the last hour just listening to a playlist of favourite reference tracks…such beautiful monitors…I can’t get over that sound stage and detailed resolution, really lovely.

For under 900€ you will not find anything comparable anywhere, @Fin25

EDIT: yeah forget the value-for-money thing, these are just really really nice regardless of price.

3 Likes