MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I’m just using the free months and then ditching it… there’s some pretty good content but it’s not worth anywhere near the subscription cost… 7.99 for 100 samples seems excessive to me… and the higher tiers don’t really become any better value either…

If you have to plug something in anyway it makes no sense to me not to use an SSD, usb stick or an SD card imo and access whatever you want

2 Likes

Oh believe me I do have plenty of storage, but who doesn’t like free stuff… I’ve got literally terrabytes of content stacked up on a drive but my sample hoarding is out of control… You never know one day I might need that Foley of someone tripping over a trashcan. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It’s funny you mention that I hoard samples like no other. I upgrade to the latest Komplete and superior drummer libraries yet somehow those computer music DVDs make my eyes light up. On a quiet weekend i can bang out pads and and least figure out what I’d use in my collection

2 Likes

Yeah I really do need to devote some time to thining out my collection too, every time I open the folder I’m looking at it and asking myself if I can even remember when or where I got it all from… it’s about 15 yrs worth…

XLN XO is the best thing that ever happened to me in regards to sample hoarding. I actually had the exact idea and wrote it down a long time ago and then one day someone actually made it. You direct paths to your sample folders and it arranges the sounds into a big cloud you can zoom in and out of, samples are organised by similarity then you can build and export drum kits etc. It’s end game sample hoarding. You can even turn folders on and off and browse by collections. All the colourful dots are samples

10 Likes

This looks cool… so it’ll analyse the files and ID what they are to categorise them?

When I got the Live instead I placed an ssd but then I decided to only add one sample library and sync my Splice account only. I’m trying to get faster by focusing, after all there’s only so many variations of a 909 kick…

Yeah so basically the circular pads at the left side are the selected samples. They are the bigger dots floating in the cloud of the same colour. You drag those big dots around different samples, like the red area is kick-like sounds. You can in another screen mix and process your selected sounds and save them as a kit and export them processed or as the raw samples. It’s got it’s own little sequencer built in too but I don’t really use that. The vids a bit cheese but it’ll help you get the gist. Mine is loaded with all my random samples, random foley, vocals, drums and everything

2 Likes

Any thoughts or info on what the big differences are between XO and ATLAS?

Pros/Cons feedback if you are familiar with Atlas?

Cheers.

XO looks amazing btw.

Can I make kits in Atlas and then use that kit (samples) in other applications like Ableton drum racks, or even an MPC? If so, how do you do that?

Thanks,
Adonis

Yes…Atlas allows you to do this. It also offers up to 16 Drum sounds as opposed to the 8 Drum sounds in XO, so it’s better aligned with Live and the MPC.

Curious if you know the process for downloading the kit out of Atlas? When I save it, I just get the Atlas kit file. But I don’t get (say for example) a folder of the 16 samples in that kit.

Thanks!

You have to create a Sequence in order to export the Kit. If you just want the sounds to be exported, just create a single step on the first step in the sequencer, and export.

Or…create the drum loop you want, and export that sequence as a Mix or Stems for use anywhere.

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Just checked…you can also easily drag and drop from the 4x4 grid of the Kit to your Finder directory on the Mac. It’s a slower process to export, but you can get your sounds out of Atlas in a few ways.

Also, if you use Atlas as a plugin, you can drag and drop into your DAW of choice.

You my friend, have changed the game! Thank you!

I’m also seeing how you can select multiple drums and just drag those over all at once. Super fast.

1 Like

Hahah…no worries! You may have just saved me $180 bones on buying XO. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really shouldn’t have done it, but I just couldn’t help myself… I’m currently transferring files from my Live 2 to my, new today, Retro Live 2… :upside_down_face:

I’ll probably list my black Live 2 for sale on here at the weekend if anyone is interested DM me.

9 Likes

I demo’d XO but couldn’t justify the cost. Atlas really is a steal. It’s pretty cool.

But this new revelation for me today opens up new sample possibilities and workflow when it comes to drum kits.

I’m just sitting here, making random kits, dragging them to folders and importing them into the MPC. This is great. Lots of inspiration.

3 Likes