MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 2)

Tbh just using electronic gear is not particularly healthy……]

1 Like

No doubt. :slight_smile:

Maybe turn it in with the flippant, unfounded and unthoughtful references to cancer.

2 Likes

Question - when in drum program edit I can select all pads and then edit a parameter such as filter cutoff. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem possible to assign said filter cutoff for all the pads to a q-link for live performance. Is there a way around this?

Has to be made by a hipster company, not a established decades long brand.

Like some companies get called out because their gear does too much lol

Yes… big jumps in price during the last 8 years. There is a thread that has discussed this at great length.

I’m from the US butmoved here in 2005. For years aside from exchange rate I remember prices on MOST gear was comparable. The used gear market while not robust (aussies are hoarders in my experience :joy:) was reasonable with prices.

2 Likes

You can assign say a LPF filter to a whole program which you can modulate frequency using a qlink during a live performance.
First you need to add a LPF on the program you need it on. Say insert 3.

You need to go in qlink edit mode, hit the “project” tab (bottom left).
Once you land on that page, from top to bottom, select “program”, then insert 3, then select the fx parameter you will want whichever qlink to control (here frequency) and you should be good to go.

That qlink, in that project, will always be controlling the frequency of your LPF for this program.

Check this video where this dude explains it at 4:18, except that he assigns a qlink to a fx parameter which will control a submix instead of a program. So the only difference is that when he choses “submix” you need to chose “program”:
https://youtu.be/d1UWKRHLaZI

Hope this helps!!

4 Likes

Gonna chime in here on this rubbery plastic business. A hommie recently let me take some acetone to a completely sticky numark orbit. It was so messy and acetone ate thru some gloves (apparently there’s chemical resistant gloves derp). I had to take the thing apart, like remove pcbs and pads and everything, just the part your cleaning should receive acetone. I was skeptical but it worked. My mpc live 1 (and akai push 1) are currently beginning to show signs of this sticky business and although its gonna suck when i have to do it, at least i know there’s a way.

1 Like

#1 reason I updated from my OG Live to the Live II Retro edition. No more sticky business for me. And as an added bonus I really like the look of it, reminds me of my old MPC60 and MPC2000XL.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be easier to just get a custom vinyl skin and stick it on top of the mess?

I personally think the black Live 2 is so plain anyway, it’s screaming for some customization. I might just put a bunch of stickers on mine whenever I sense the slightest stickiness. :blush:

Im averse to skins. I live in a hot and humid a$$ climate and i fear the wraps would just make the sticky worse. Plus i like taking stuff apart. Ive taken the push and mpc apart and thats how i know its gonna suck lol.

1 Like

What do you mean?

You gotta tear it down to just the shell before you clean it with acetone. You will also lose all the text. Not a task for the faint of heart.

2 Likes

In the early days of the live I saw someone’s tear down post on the mpc forums. I had to laugh to keep from crying. A real,kick in the pants. I knew I’d never attempt it. Legacy machines were stupid easy to mod and upgrade.

I have such a hate / love with these units it’s like a disorder.

1 Like

oh that sucks man hopefully things get better in the future. Though it’s much more likely our prices will creep up to match if anything

@orion I didn’t realise the screen was on a back plate like that. Someone modded the force with a tilt screen which is quite cool. I guess it would be pretty easy in the live too if someone braved it

Too true, I used to have an 8-output expander that I would swap between an 2KXL and an S2000, and I was forever moving RAM sticks around. Also a SCSI > IDE adapter that I transferred between an S5000 and a Yamaha A4000 more times than I care to recall.

I’m not going to claim it was more convenient than popping an SD card in and out, but whipping out a screwdriver and poking around the innards of a sampler was all part of the job and part of the fun.

Putting an SSD into my Force was, sadly, not as much fun.

2 Likes

Is The Vault 2.0 included with Live 2? Didn’t have this in my MPC One.

I think it is, from memory… it should be available when you register the Live 2 online.

1 Like

I definitely got The Vault with my MPC One - just double-checked and it’s under Essential Sound Libraries in the downloads list on my account. As I recall using it involved installing it to the MPC software, after which I was able to open the containing folder and copy stuff to my SD card - it was a while ago, but I remember it being a bit less long-winded than the official export route.

1 Like

It was included in the MPC One.

1 Like