MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Having the MPC 5000, which is similar, if we neglect that there is no JJOS for the MPC 5K, I would say all of the new MPCs are much improved in many ways. Would I sell my MPC 5K? If I couldn’t afford a new MPC without selling the MPC 5K … probably yes, even if it’s always hard to say good buy to an old friend … :frowning:

4 Likes

I think it might prove impossible! It was my first bit of hardware, Christmas 2017…

5 Likes

I know right it just demolishes my Desk space.
Probably going to VESA mount it eventually.

1 Like

Hopefully not the keyboard version that pops up every now and then. Even though I see it’s appeal…

1 Like

Keep it :+1:

2 Likes

Any recommended places to grab a MPC expansions?

There’s plenty in your akai account… or

https://www.mpc-samples.com/

Or

https://mpcsoftware.akaipro.com/

On a side note it appears the expansion exchange has been shut down… I did not know this…

1 Like

I keep getting an as on Facebook offering a 50% off. Browse Akai’s Website then maybe scroll on Facebook?

Edit: got it

1 Like

I’ve gotten kitmaker a while ago; but it doesn’t work that well. Most kits I make have a bunch of empty spots despite me saying they shouldnt.
For maschine kits it works superb tho; but there’s a free maschine 2 MPC website online.
For the amount of free maschine stuff available its a really easy way to get some kits.

1 Like

Off the top of my head, without having them side by side, I’d say the MPC is way more geared towards sampling, and that’s where I’ll go to if I’m working with sampling.

If I want non-linear sequencing, I’d use the Force.
That’s how I think of them;
MPC = sampler
Force = sequencer

But obviously both can cover each other.
I’m really digging the MPC for sequencing lately too, especially since I’ve started properly using the ‘explode’ feature.

I got most of my expansions from
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=dont+crack

They have sales from time to time and it was about 20%-50% reduction.

1 Like

I’m keeping my 1k even though I have the One. Long term I have my doubts that Akai will continue to look after the One/Live as a legacy product. They are so software dependent and the build quality is so plasticy and nowhere near as sturdy as MPCs of the past. The older MPCs still use a lot of standard parts for so many of the things that need repairs due to age and the community behind them is pretty dedicated. I’ll keep it as long as I can.

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect them to ever go back to metal cases as much as I’d like them to. Tbqh I expect elektron will even eventually be using crappy plastic cases. The bigger the brand the harder the cuts and they’re not getting any smaller

1 Like

I had the original MPC1K. It was a great device but the build quality wasn’t as good as the Live. Akai released a new set of pads for the 1K later on to give a similar feel to legacy MPCs after complaints about the responsiveness of the original pads. Also, after light home use, I had to send mine off to have the potentiometer replaced on the jog wheel due to the common skipping values issue that many encountered.

The JJ OS helped make the device a classic though.

G

2 Likes

I’ve had a Force for a couple months and was into it. It’s on CL now though in Seattle.

In my experience with it, I kept going back to my MPC Live. The Force quite frankly, has one too many button combos for me to do simple stuff. I’d be like, “this is way easier and quicker on the Live”

I want a One. Selling the Force will help me achieve that objective :slight_smile:

I want the Retro, but only GuitarCenter sells them. I’d rather support Patchwerks here in Seattle. And they’re having a 10% off sale…that saves like $200 after tax for the regular One compared to the Retro.

The Retro is $899 + tax at GC and the One is $799 with 10% off at PW.

Totally talking out loud right now…

4 Likes

@mapmap @G4s I suspect I’ll end up keeping 2500 and saving for Live. Spent a lot of time thinking about portable music making recently. Amazing I’ve only just considered this really.

2 Likes

Been messing around for a while now and watched a bunch of videos. Can we not tweak/modulate the internal synths from a midi controller? :thinking: I’ve figured out mapping volume and pan etc

I don’t want to make it harder for you, but I bought the Retro Edition and I don’t even have any nostalgic connections to the MPC brand. But I have to say it is so much more good looking and it makes me feel somehow more connected to it. When I watch videos of the black edition, it just seems like a more sterile/anonymous machine. Not saying this is right, it’s a subjective opinion. But my point is: follow your emotions because making music is a lot about connecting to your emotions.

6 Likes

I hope all the people who want that keyboard version get their wish but omg I hope they make a force mini first!!

1 Like

I feel the same tbf. If I didn’t love my digitakt as much I would’ve gotten a MPC one.

The force feels so much like ableton that I feel like I might as well use Ableton. But for a dawless approach it’s such a great device, especially when the upcoming update adds I/o.

Now when making music I’m always at my computer anyways. However, I do love the pads and sampling and thats the main feature I use. so if I end up selling it I will get a push 2 or an MPC one.

Btw. Force goes for 800 used and a push is half that. So if you don’t own Ableton the force is the same price range. Insane to be fair.

1 Like