MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

life is about taking the good along with the rubbish my friend (pun intended)

1 Like

Confirm the MPC X doesnā€™t have the ā€˜Batmanā€™ rubber finish. Every piece Iā€™ve had with that finish has gone sticky (moog little phatty end cheeks, push 2 etc.) I think heat accelerates the deterioration as my old studio in my loft got quite hot in summer.

1 Like

happened to my push 2 as well, I think youā€™re right about the climate

I donā€™t get how the mk2 has it when it came after the oneā€¦ Plus the live1 had a akai label that was inset in the rubber, maybe that is why they used that finishā€¦ The mk2 has a regular silver painted emblemā€¦ If it was really rubber then wouldnā€™t they inset the label again? It looked really coolā€¦ Maybe it had a rubbery feel but it must be a different finish then the mk1ā€¦ I donā€™t think they would after hearing so much complaining about the rubber and switching with the oneā€¦ why would they go back to rubber for the mk2?? Makes no sense reallyā€¦

I confirmed with Akaiā€¦

Itā€™s a matte-finish paint on plastic. So, regardless of whether or not you have an aversion to dust and fingerprints, theoretically, it should not breakdown like the TPE coating on the PUSH.

Take from that what you will. Time will tell, but my Live is more than 3 years old already, and nothing has changed about the finish. By contrast, Iā€™ve seen the surface on the PUSH descend into a gooey hell, the likes of which I could not live with.

Cheers!

6 Likes
1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed this about the mpc

My Octatrack is gone, mpc is on the wayā€¦
I couldnā€™t keep both just donā€™t have enough space to store everything,
Itā€™s one in one out at the momentā€¦

Can always get another Octatrack, prefer black to match my digis if I get another anyhow,
My other Elektrons are going no where though, def not abandoning that Elektron workflow

1 Like

Oh thatā€™s great. my bad. Old habits. So can bits like track select be midi mapped?

Not certain thatā€™s available via Midi and not at home for another few days, so canā€™t test for you. But are you aware of the shortcut SHIFT + Pad to select tracks on the fly? (SHIFT + Pad 1 selects Track 1, SHIFT + Pad 2 selects Track 2, etc etc)

If you want to have a look for yourself:

All available Project mappings you can find in the Midi Control menu of your MPC Live. Just add a new assignment and browse the parameters available for mapping.

You can access a list of Global parameter mappings in the MPC software on your laptop. If I remember correctly, thereā€™s a little icon in the bottom right that brings up a list of midi mappable functions. Once you have that side window open, select ā€œGlobalā€ and youā€™ll be able to see the parameters that arenā€™t available on the MPC standalone (but could be made available with the TheKickGen hack).

2 Likes

Just saw this posted somewhere. True or false?

I heard the MPC Retro Live 2 model button function labels wear off in time

I dunno, but itā€™ll only make it look better

Donā€™t all labels, over time?

iā€™m puzzled by that dudeā€™s question myself. When I take a look at the zoomed image here, it seems like youā€™d have to fold up some sandpaper and rub hard between those buttons to get the labels to wear out

worst part about the retros is that they look too new lol

1 Like

I think you men the words on the buttons because thru donā€™t light up like the black live? The words on the buttons are not painted on like someone on youtube saidā€¦ They are just like the regular live just instead of clear rubber fir the words they are black rubber inlaid in the rubber buttonā€¦ So no, they wonā€™t wear out the words. The words just donā€™t light up but the buttons are the same with a clear slit above the words.

The original questioner just clarified heā€™s indeed talking about the labels on the buttons, not the labels between the buttons. Heā€™s concerned that the Retro button labels are ā€œtransfer styleā€ - not sure what that means exactly.

The lettering being black rubber, in theory, sounds more durable than paint or decals, even after 1000s of hours of lovingly caressing the buttons with thumbs and fingers.

What is the source of info on how the labels were made?

I looked worth a flashlight when i got it because i was curious about thatā€¦ You can see ridges just barely around the letters and it is not raised or shinyā€¦ If it was painted on like my old 1000 then you would see it slightly raised. Unless they put some kind of clear coating over the whole thing which i really doubt. I could be wrong but that is how it looks to meā€¦ They donā€™t look just painted onā€¦ Or a transfer decal, either would be slightly raisedā€¦ But if you did wear through itā€¦ You could just buy another set of buttons you know?

I thought you were asking questions about the finish and stuff because you didnā€™t have an MPC Live yet, or did I read your posts wrong?

I said in the first post i made that i only have the retro to compare. I have a retro liveā€¦ And have had a 1000 in the past and a friend with a 2000xl and have used both the 3000 and 60mk2 on projects in studioā€™s a long time ago.