MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Just read this on the Gearspace board regarding PreSonus mixers and MPC compatibility:

Just in case anyone was wondering if Presonus studiolive mixers will work with the new update (nope, quote from presonus forum)

“Yeah, that’s not going to work.

The Series 3 hardware isn’t USB Class Compliant, only the drivers on Windows / Mac are.

Series 3 is a 64x64 I/O device, which already exceeds their I/O spec stated in the video (32x32).

This is the same reason why Series 3 doesn’t work on Linux natively. It needs a driver.

Series 3 works on iPad because Apple writes the driver for their ecosystem, which already complies based on MacOS. Now, it’s up to the App’s to support the channel count (N-Track is the only one I think).“

2 Likes

Does the live 2 and x have the same rubber finish that is on the live? Does anybody know for sure? Are we even sure the live has a rubber finish and not just a matte plastic based paint?

It’s the latter from what I can tell, but others seem convinced that it’s rubberized.

Cheers!

it’s the live mk1 that has the rubby texture, not the mk2 or mpc one

I’ve got the Live mk1… As far as I can tell, it’s just a flat-finish paint.

Cheers!

My (non-retro) Live 2 feels kinda rubbery. Can’t remember if the Live 1 was more rubbery…

my live 1 was rubbery, the live mk2 retro and mpc one retro are noticeable different, much smoother.
I had an mpc one black that was smooth as well, don’t know about the MPC Live 2 black though but I thought earlier in the thread we narrowed it down to it being only the black MPC Live 1

It’s rubbery. Shit sticks to it. Tempted to remove the case, give it a solvent bath and strip that crap. I’d just like a way to put the graphics back on.

Most flat-finish paints feel tacky to the touch. On mine, the finish is worn-off in the corners where my deck saver sits—there’s no depth to the coating, nothing to peel, shiny plastic underneath…

It’s paint.

Cheers!

4 Likes

There IS rubberized paint. The chassis is definitely metal. But the coating is rubber.

Sorry, the bottom plate was metal.

Dust does not adhere to matte paint.

Okay.

Cheers!

1 Like

Paint, rubber, or ectoplasm - whatever it is, I have never liked it. I’d have held out for the retro if I knew it was not going to have the same finish.

3 Likes

The retro makes more sense. You don’t see all that dead skin on the grey. No wonder most of the old MPCs were grey :slight_smile:

It drives my crazy how gross my Live looks. I tried to keep it clean as long as I could. But when you hit a pad one time and it’s already munged up…i kinda gave up. It’s hard as I’m a neat freak :frowning:

STRONG aversion to dust.

2 Likes

I still see the dead skin on my retro… kind of… i love my mpc but hate that everytime i use it is a constant reminder that im slowly decaying. that or I should probably moisturise.

1 Like

lol

Every Live owner needs one of these.

Meant for clothes, cheap as hell and does the job of removing all dust etc. particles off my Live.

Especially effective on the pads. This pic was taken before I used the thingy.

11 Likes

I agree, every Live owner needs a V-Synth XT!

11 Likes

It does. I use one. The tuff spots are in between. It’s a battle.

to AKAI: offer a new chassis. I’d buy one!

1 Like

My Live’s casing is alright and looks as new despite being in a dusty room, but the pads…there’s no hope for the pads at all lol.

1 Like

So from there replies, live 1 has a thicker rubber finish, live 2 retro and x and one have a different finish that might be rubbery… But different… Live 2 regular is uncertain at this point… And also, earlier in the thread there was a consensus that only live 1 has a true rubber finish but that may or may not be true…
This seems kinda crazy to me that nobody seems to know for sure…
Also, it seems people confuse a matte finish that has dust on it for the rubber finish… Lots of painted gear can have dust or dead skin on it though… All my black gear with lexan type labeling film collects it too but is not rubber…
Had anybody ever thought maybe they all have the same finish but in different textures? It seems the only difference in any of these are the varying levels of matte roughness to me… But what do i know… I would love to hear from someone that had used all these and can compare though… And not just conjecture…