MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Of the 3 standalone synth plugins I find electric to be the most useful and interesting. Editing the plugins is super intuitive. Touch a row of parameters and adjust corresponding qlink.

3 Likes

tubediggaā€™s videos are worth checking out

3 Likes

thanks.
Yes I saw his channel. seem to be the best tutorials. Iā€˜m rather looking for some creative demos but wasnā€˜t very successful.
For elektron stuff, there are hundreds of interesting sound demos, workflow, tips and tricks videos etc

I know how to chop samples and lay some kicks and snares down :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I enjoyed using the Electric Piano plugin the most.

I found myself making loads of John Beltran inspired tracks.

Sold my Mpc Live but seriously considering getting another.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had my MPC Live for over two months but have scarcely had time to fire it up, never mind digging into it (my studio has been undergoing a bit of a rearrangement/re-cabling). I am really looking forward to it though. The though of creating some nice multi-sampled instrumentā€™s from my many vintage synths and various acoustic/electric instruments is getting me through the busy work of cabling the room. And the sequencer looks like good fun to me. I havenā€™t really given any thought to the built-in instrumentā€™s, but I canā€™t imagine they wonā€™t be worth a playā€¦

3 Likes

Its a very capable machine. Nothing about it makes it more focused toward boom bap at all. Obviously hip hop music has alot to do with the legend and lore of akaiā€™s MPCs but you can make any kind of music with them.

I believe the new MPCs facilitate experimentation better and more efficiently than the older models, despite the kind of clumsy workflow and layout (on the live).

2 Likes

Had my MPC X for around 3 weeks now, absolutely my best investment these past few years, I used to own the MPC2000XL and other Akai gear in the past.

Couple of questions.

1. I cannot seem to rename Q-Links, is there any way to do it?
  2. I can open all my vstā€™s in the MPC software to do some sampling as well as sample my hardware BUTā€¦ I want to auto sample some of my Logic X plug-ins but I canā€™t open any AUā€™s, has anyone got this to work or is it a case of sampling within Logic X and transferring the samples to the MPC X?

Fantastic bit of gear

4 Likes

i believe logic pro plugins are stuck within logic but id just create a chromatic midi file and save it for later use, bounce it through the vst and remove silence. select all and export. would be quite quick to do. keep us posted about the X, I never see anyone talk about it cause everyones got the live

1 Like

Hi mate I was going to buy the live version (just as good) I went for the MPC X for the extra outs and CV in case I buy modular gear at a later date. I find the MPC X so fantastic to use (in standalone mode) with my hardware synths. Plenty of connectivity too and a great samplerā€¦

Thanks for the tip about Logicā€¦ I was just wanting to sample the EFM1 as it does fab House Basses.

Rob

1 Like

so I read that you should store your own samples and projects on an external drive and keep the internal more or less untouched?
Can someone recommend me a external drive?
Would a sd card be fine or should i get a SSD?
If already discussed in this thread, I apologize

Why is this? I have yet to dig into my MPC Live - this seems like something I should know about before I doā€¦

1 Like

I use a SD card no problem.

I may be wrong but I think it has to do with accessing while plugged into a computer.

1 Like

Any sataIII HDD solid state drive will do. Make sure itā€™s 2.5ā€
I went for
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11412.m43.l1123/7?euid=e3bc478f61f34c7083e53c371828cccc&bu=43634490769&loc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fvod%3Fitemid%3D323357729688%26transid%3D1994439874011&sojTags=bu=bu
Pretty much essential if you want to make full use of the mpc as a stand-alone. SDD card also worksā€¦ but not as reliable in my experience

Any sataIII HDD solid state drive will do. Make sure itā€™s 2.5ā€

So it actually doesnā€™t need to be external? That would seem a bit cumbersome for using it on the go.

1 Like

Nope. Internal is just fine and even better.

When I bought my second hand Live, the next day I walked into a computer shop and bought shitloads of different memories/medias. Bought a 480GB SSD FOR 50ā‚¬ and a 128GB MicroSD for 20ā‚¬ (And a couple of 32GB USB sticks for 5,90ā‚¬/piece just to be on the safe side.) All my problems solved for 80 euros. I copied all my sample libraries onto the SSD and it isnā€™t even half full yet. I love my Live.

4 Likes

Thanks. Thatā€™s what I was hoping youā€™d say. Iā€™ve got plenty of gear described as ā€˜portableā€™ that is anything but once you attach all of the required peripheral doodads.

1 Like

yes I expressed me in a wrong way.
I meant additional drive on top of the internal memory

Thanks for the answers.
Still not sure if SSD or SDā€¦ Iā€˜m not very familiar with advantages of different drives

3 Likes

Just to clarify, anything thatā€™s saved onto the built in drive (the factory one) kinda disappears in a black box and can not get accessed from a computer . Easy to work around though, you can just ā€šsave asā€¦ā€˜ and all samples and sequences will get saved onto the selected drive. A little annoying - I freaked out when I couldnā€™t access my samples and thought they were locked away. I now only use a sd card with zero issues. Maybe I should invest in an actual drive at some point

3 Likes

Okay, I think I understand nowā€¦ it doesnā€™t sound quite as critical as I feared!