MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I dig mine and I’m only a few years in with all this electric goodness. Congrats and good luck btw.

1 Like

Take your time, do not expect it to be another Elektron machine and you’ll have fun!

1 Like

You’ll find the onboard synths to be extremely useful, especially the plucky tube synth and electric synth. They are very clean and stand out in the mix quite well. Sounds great paired with my Digitone and Deepmind.

2 Likes

so is that different than how we can run a synth into the octatrack and process it? i’m on the hunt for a multi fx box but i move from to the OT to other places and always end up at a computer :frowning:

The MPC has two line inputs that you can apply four effects to the incoming signal. I didn’t notice any latency.

I think the fx on the Live are really good, especially the new air fx suite. Plenty of effects for all tastes, I really love the options I have for delay, reverb and distortions.

3 Likes

+1 ^

Hey so I’ve got a question, it’s a little dumb, but I’m hoping you know the answer.

What does the Ramp control found in a few of the MPC’s delays do? Like with the tape echo. It seems to correlate with the wow and flutter control in some way, but I’ve never been able to pinpoint exactly what it’s doing. The manual gives no explanation for it. Any thoughts?

I’m not sure either, but it seems that the higher it is the easier it is to push the delay into feedback noise.

2 Likes

anyone got a clue where MPC software saves samples to on mac? thought id use the autosampler to make some chains for OT but I cant find where the samples are being saved to

How good do the included synths sound that came in an update?
Tubesynth and bassline…

They sound good, but lack some body and presence, I’d say. I’d compare them to any solid softsynth. They’re pretty flexible when it comes to programming, so they’re at their best when you don’t try to make them sound like prophets or moogs, but rather something on their own.

5 Likes

Thanks!
It’s crazy, on paper one of the most powerful things there is, but if you try to find good demos of it in use you get the impression people only use it to chop their soul samples. :see_no_evil:

5 Likes

Yeah, it’s like Roland’s latest box. You think you want it all in one sleek package. Once you get it, you wonder why it’s not all that.

I just don’t believe in one stop production units anymore, mind you, so take that into account when I’m talking about these things.

the Roland doesn‘t promise this imo. Sampling and midi side far too simplistic

Yep, true. The Live and Force make a much bigger promise here, as does the Deluge.

2 Likes

I definitely believe in one stop solutions if you can pick a genre and stick to it but I just think producers now have such a wide array of toys that you can’t help but stray. For example its plenty doable to make unlimited hip hop beats with an MPC, but once people get into it they see all the weird outboard gear and groove boxes. then before you know it you’ve got six rows of eurorack making unlistenable screeches till 3am and when people ask you what music you make you have to say “uh… experimental”

9 Likes

MPC is a blank canvas, everyone uses it differently.

6 Likes

but only sample chopping hip hop dudes record youtube videos :wink:
love boom bap by the way. Unfortunately it doesn’t showcase the power of the machine

1 Like

and this is boring as hell … anyway, except for hard smashing and driving H-H and not those ‘yo man’-dudes and ‘flailing abouts’ … like primates