MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Can you play & warp the samples in keygroup so the speed wont change in different pitch? or its just like digitakt in chromatic mode?

canā€™t use warping for the moment on samples in keygroups. I read tha it would be implemented later

1 Like

Very warm. Probably as warm as some analog gear out there, but not like anything Iā€™ve had. It is only a very small area so the rest of the device is cool. guess its as warm as computer or laptop which can make sense considering whatā€™s inside.

1 Like

Havenā€™t installed anything. Good thing is, the temp doesnā€™t change wether its been on for 10 mins or couple of hours.

1 Like

Oh, I could see that being quite worrying, damn.

Iā€™m not sure to go ahead with my preorder. Was thinking about ordering the digitakt instead but it doesnā€™t convince me either. All the hype and plans I had deflated by reality :joy:

2 Likes

Honestly that MPC is a killer !

i sold my octa 2 days after having it

3 Likes

would one have to stop the sequencer to arm the sampling modes? (could it play a drum program in parallel while sampling?)
thing looks like a wet dream to me currently as it does all I would need. it just doesnā€™t wanna release in Canada it seems

1 Like

Just checked this, you can freely jump into and out from sampling. I opened up a project, set it to play, went to sampling mode, selected RESAMPLING L+R as the input, and sampled the sequence loop on the fly, named it and assigned it into a prog, exited sampling mode, made a new track, and could play the captured sample on top of the original sequence playing, all without ever stopping playback. So works better than I even hoped!

The only thing that is tricky wrt sampling is if you want quantized samplingā€¦ For those cases the looper mode might be the only choiceā€¦ But as trimming samps is quite fast on this machine, I do not see it as a biggie myself. Thereā€™s always ā€œaudio thresholdā€ activation mode in the sampling, so that helps too in certain cases.

3 Likes

So far it seems the only function that needs stopping to function properly is ā€˜eraseā€™ everything else can be done while playing. @tsutek have you found a way to see/edit automations?

There is no way to see automations ATM. Itā€™s supposedly coming with the OS updates in the near future though.

Yeah, that erase thing is a bummerā€¦ especially since there are no ALL EVENTS / ERASE BAR options as in JJOS. Something like pressing SHIFT + ERASE should open up the erase screen even while in playback modeā€¦ Letā€™s hope something like this can be introduced at some point. ATM my workaround is to mute the track, enter pianoroll, select all notes/pads with the marquee tool, and erase. A bit fiddly.

1 Like

Anybody tried loading JJOS files yet?

yes, you are right. Still i feel like i tried so many devices to get off the computer screen with a lot of different workflows, that i really enjoy a simple and stable easy workflow.

i really enjoy the electron sequencers. they are probaly the most fast and easy tool for me. So i think the digitakt is a cool piece of gearā€¦ though i have a AR i will not buy it, but for electron newbies it sounds great
For MPC i totally enjoy the way the pads are integrated in the workflow for really ā€œplaying musicā€ā€¦ honestly all additional stuff is just gimmicks to me, that do not really result in something new or supercool. For the looper: Yeah, they could end up in making the looper-sequences directly become clips and are sorted to padsā€¦ but reallyā€¦ i had the OT in a ā€œlooping setupā€ and i just used 2 tracks of the 8 maximum. Didnt needed more.
At all the MPC now is just a update of the old devices, that really makes slicing and assigning pads thousand times fasterā€¦ and allowing to use backing tracks to be easily integratedā€¦thats it and nothing moreā€¦ still in BETA i hope for some features like easier pad copy between programsā€¦ lets see how they evolve the platform :-))

2 Likes

Having the live reminded me just how much I love the MPC sequencing workflow. To me, using it is mentally as effortless as making a beat with the analog rytm. I feel spoiled.

I am starting to think that the live, rytm and a heat is all I need to play gigs and not have wants for much moreā€¦ Ok, maybe a decent MIDI controller for some more hands-on for the MPC but thatā€™s it (assuming we get some qlink remote ctrl etc down the line). Maybe finally sell off some gear? :panda:

2 Likes

Wonder if an APC40 (being Akai) would send the right MIDI control to the Live, by default, with no translationā€¦?

IIRC someone tried that, and got the live to do something, but the mappings didnā€™t make sense. So some form of remote control exists but seems to be undocumented so far.

1 Like

Ok, mine is coming this week, and now I have this hunch a LOT of my gear will be up for sale soon.

For example, Iā€™m curious to see the effect of having the Live will have on my OP-1. Itā€™s my most used piece of gear and close to being my favorite. Not because of its synth engine (actually never use that, I use sampled instruments on it), but because itā€™s everything in one simple box, and I found that form factor to be the most effective at making me productive with music.

Given the amount of MIDI sequencing this thing can handle, I can also see myself completely ditching the computer for composing, thus rendering my Ableton Push completely useless. If I can find a way to control basic Ableton functionalities from the Akai device (not using the word ā€˜Liveā€™ here to avoid confusion), itā€™s gone as well.

@tsutek is considering it, others already said they made the jump, so Iā€™m curious, are there many Live owners who sold gear, not (only) to fund the new device, but because it made their old gear obsolete in their workflow ? If you are considering it, which pieces do you plan to sell ? (Full disclosure : Iā€™m now broke so I wonā€™t be buying any of it :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

Personal circumstances are telling me to wait a few months on this one. Love to jump in now but it just doesnā€™t make sense in my situation, even though the instrumentā€™s capabilities seem perfect for me. Partly to do with the fact that Iā€™m moving to the other side of the globe and donā€™t want to be stuck with a brick and warranty that covers the wrong continent. Iā€™ll be watching to see how things pan out.

The biggest question seems to be - assuming you get a working unit, are these things actually built to last? Reports so far havenā€™t been promising.

2 Likes

Dan confirmed on GS forum that this will be most probably included in the upcoming update. Worst case scenario is in the next one.

Simon from the software team said that they already got some very cool stuff on the way with the WIFI and Bluetooth.

Dan and Simon advice people to send feature suggestions. The more people send the same request, the higher the priority for the software team.

1 Like

Yeah. Iā€™m in the same boat. My plan was to get the Live and I sold off some gear in anticipation, but the release date isnā€™t even set yet for Japan and all the bug and hardware issues scared me off from becoming an early adopter. I bought the Digitakt instead and will look at the Live again in a few months once I know more about the OS and build quality. Definitely buying new from a place thatā€™s convenient to return it to if there are problems and will look into whether any of my local shops offer an extended warranty. I really donā€™t trust Akaiā€™s build quality, but I really want to use the Live as a multitracker and looper.