MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I was thinking this may also mean you could chromatically play simultaneously triggered pads too… maybe not tho?!

Not a big deal for me anyway, just thought it might be helpful to the discussion… : )

Yeah I get you. I see you can’t have many octaves with only 16 levels. But you could play different 16 pitches right ?

So If you link one pad to play 4 other (pitched) sounds (on different pads with there own envelopes etc) can you then play all 4 sounds from one pad in 16 pitches ?

That’s what I was thinking when I posted anyway :blush: no worries if that way off. Things are Still sinking in…

Yeah it’s a shame you can’t do polyphonic chromatic within the ‘simultaneous pad’ function. Would be killer for experimental sound design stuff. There are workarounds by the sound of it but won’t lead to the same workflow/results. Not a dealbreaker but could have been a pretty big selling point to sound design dudes.

1 Like

Not sure about the new ones but in the old ones you can’t. 16 levels will trigger just one pad. Then again, you can achieve this with instrument program.

1 Like

Make a feature request : )

I believe there keen to hear them…

2 Likes

Ahh Ok Thanks.

But yeah I hear you on using an instrument program to play your instruments live… cheers

Just checked the manual.

Instrument programs are called “Keygroup Programs”.

A keygroup program uses one or more samples as its sound source. It contains It contains (1) a list of samples and
(2) the settings for each sample (i.e., pitch tuning, effects, etc.). Keygroup programs are used to play samples
chromatically with a MIDI keyboard or the MPC pads.

To create complex keygroup programs, you can add more keygroups (up to 128). This is useful when working with
multi-samples (e.g., when programming a real piano).
Tip: Remember that a keygroup program offers up to 128 keygroups, and each keygroup can hold up to four
samples (Layers 1–4). This is a total of 512 samples.

1 Like

One workaround might be to load different sounds/instruments and have them all on the same midi channel, so you’re using tracks as layers, and do midi loopback with a cable from a midi track? You could layer as much as you want simultaneously and play all layers (instruments) polyphonically with up to 64 total voices then right? :slight_smile: all with different amp env/fx/external routing etc. MPC receives external midi per track I guess with definable midi channel per track? I’m not great with midi but seems like it’d work easy enough and be super fast for auditioning different layers etc. Could make some huge/complex sounds like this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The above idea has got me hyped. Could make some insane ambient/improv noise sending different layers/instruments out to different amps/pedals. Kind of like a 64-timbral monosynth. Or a 3 note chord on 20 different synths/samplers simultaneously… could be a lot of fun and sound huge… Some of the voices could be field loops stretched to different lengths for weird poly rhythms washing around etc. Could make some killer, complex walls of sound…

You can of course, but it wont be as good or as easily tweakable as as layering.

1 Like

great! layering is so fun, i m gonna get it. i wish DT can do it too…

From your prev mpc experience could you confirm that midi loopback would work as expected? Could I use one mpc midi track to play tons of mpc instrument tracks simultaneously by running midi out>midi in and putting everything on the same midi channel? Thanks

1 Like

16 levels can be done pitched or chromatically. Andy Mac demonstrated it in one of the Saint Joe videos at NAMM.

Yeh saw those vids :slight_smile: We’re speculating whether 16 levels pitch would work across all ‘connected’ pads when ‘simultaneous pad’ was active. Seems it’s a no :frowning: Might be a midi + separate tracks workaround for same functionality thats almost as quick tho…

Haha great eye for detail - Prost!

1 Like

Oh! I can’t answer that, but there’s things the Live/X can do that Akai is not even aware of. Somebody with a Live gotta test it. I should receive mine today or tomorrow, we’ll find out :smile:

1 Like
4 Likes

You are kidding right? Way to find literary the most convoluted workflow ever!
Besides you can’t use vast in reason when using it rewired
Edit: yeah, sounds like you were joking!

2 Likes

I can’t watch any more of these ‘complete overview’ videos! Hopefully some short ‘nice mpc tricks’ vids will show up soon. My brain will implode if I watch someone go through everything again :wink: I’m probably missing the info I’m after by not watching them all, but I must have watched almost the same identical walk through like 100 times since the first vids dropped :frowning:

1 Like

You are right. Will not post.