MPC sequencing vs Elektron sequencing

there are predefined modulation patterns you can use for drawing in automation. So you can achieve LFO-like automation, but it wont be realtime like with a proper LFO modulation.

I think its good to bring up an important point again - For me peronally, I like using the current MPCs exactly because of the same reasons I loved the older MPCs - the workflow. IMHO the MPC workflow is not for everyone, but for those who love it, the current MPCs are pretty badass machines.

Its not a “DAW” - its an MPC, A drumpler and a MIDI sequencer that uses the 16 pads both as an UI and a drumming controller with a tactile workflow of its own, which is fast and easy to use as long as you’re cool with recording your parts in, with only minor editing afterwards. If you go in looking for a DAW or a step sequencer x0x Roland experience, you will not appreciate what it excels in.

7 Likes

I’ve had my MPC ONE for about a week and so far i love how it fits in with my Digitone and OctaTrack and workflow. Still learning the ropes but all of it makes sense and so far I’ve been really productive with it.

More and more videos are appearing and recently found this one which was really nice at showing off the power of the ONE in a live setting.

Check it out:

5 Likes

That being said the step sequencer on the new MPCs aren’t have bad. Some minor tweaks can make it better, like bar select. I personally appreciate all the sequencing options on the menu.

Curious what you mean by bar select. You can tab over to the bar you’d like to work on in step edit mode.

1 Like

Absolutely, but the tiny tab gets lost in the sauce during the heat of the moment. I would like it to be a little more pronounced.

Gotcha! Agreed. It’s not an obvious thing :+1:

The newer touch screen MPC’s don’t do much justice to the MPC workflow. Do yourself a favour and get any MPC up until mpc2500. 5000 was super buggy and I had to replace the PSU after it almost caught fire. If you don’t mind using a pc, the Renaissance is also a good choice. I haven’t used it, but its got a solid workflow. But it has a very bad repuation due to it having a bad start (first version software issues).
As for P-locking, simply put: no.
It is not a step sequencer either. Although you can come a long way with the transport controls.
Someone in this thread said: “ I feel like a musician when using the OT.”
I’ve used the OT and frankly, I felt everything but a musician. If you have no rhythm in your body, an MPC might not be something you’d like to use.
As for automation: you turn q-links while in overdub mode. You edit these in an archaic event list. Not too pleasant. But it can be done.
Both Elektron and akai mpc’s have terrific streamlined workflows. Nothing comes close. Both are excellent in this regard. Yet they are very different units.
What really bugged me though on the OT was the fact it didn’t record note off. I just couldn’t get used to it. Also, programmiing longer sequences became a bit of a pain. Changing sample startpoint locks in bar 4 became old quickly, it took ages to get the startpoint right. Especially when working with longer samples. That being said, it is the best step sequencer out there

3 Likes

Agreed. I love the Octatrack and have often said it needs to be treated like an instrument that takes practice and dedication, but the best I’ve ever felt like is a mad scientist. But musicality is just harder for me in general on electronic instruments than on guitar/piano…Musicality isn’t even a thing I gave much thought to until the past couple years or so, and more intensely the past year.

1 Like

You don’t need to use the touch screen on the new MPCs.

[SHIFT]

In JJOS?

New vids up

1 Like

This guy always looks like he’s on cocaine. A legend, though

Would you mind telling me how you P-Lock steps on Maschine? I recently picked up an MK3 and am liking it, but I miss parameter locking and thought that it couldn’t do it. Thanks!

Record a part…

Press STEP to go into step editor…

make sure you’re in PLUG-IN mode so you can see parameters for that instrument…

Hold down any step and change a parameter with the knobs.

The parameter only changes for that step.

You can’t do sound locks though (actually changing sounds per step)

1 Like

So you p-lock every 16th note? If the divisions are 16th notes? So if you want to detune a quarter note, you have to detune 4 16th notes separately?

Thanks, @basehead617!

I actually liked Maschines workflow for sequencing and changing a sound, on a step/beat/in a pattern and loved going back and forth on my MK3 with a midi keyboard to tune drums. It was a fast. But then all the BS with being stuck in Maschine, integration issues and software plugin bloat killed it for me. Still miss those dam pads though.

Nah you can set the grid to whatever you want, the steps show up on lit pads and notes that are offset just show up on their closest pad. Step sequencing sort of assumes monophonic sequencing but chords can be sequenced this way too. If your playing a complex two handed piano part its assumed you won’t be using the step sequencer to parameter lock notes anyway. The automation is just a fast way to set up what shows as automation lanes at the bottom of the piano roll. But yeah if you place a note shift+nudge to make tiny nudges to where ever you want. Not unlike microtiming on elektrons but you can set the size of notes that get placed

I have an OT which I love and an MPC 2500 which I can’t bring myself to sell. I have a BS2, Avalon & Tetra running trough the OT inputs and a Virus and modular going through a small mixer.
OT has been MIDI sequencing up until now but thinking of bringing the 2500 back in for that, and still run the synths through the OT for FX. What would I lose out on by not using the OT for any sequencing:

MIDI cc and p-locks (but I can use lock trigs/trigless trigs for some things on the relevant thru tracks)
MIDI arpeggiator (but my BS2 can send arpeggios)

Any other pros/cons?

MIDI LFOs?

1 Like