MPC sequencing vs Elektron sequencing

Yep, that.
Main motivation for the MPC sequencing is that I’m forever wanting more than 64 steps for long pads/chords, and unquantised sequences if I’m working on Beatles stuff

You could use the MPC to sequence but have the OT midi going into the MPC so you can record the midi LFOs?

1 Like

Well I do have 2 midi ins after all…
so OT could provide master clock and send MIDI LFOs (and ccs/plocks?) and BS2 sends notes to the other MIDI in?

Yea, why not? The midi LFOs were my favorite thing about the OT.

Cool thanks. Lots of possibilities with this!

1 Like

EDIT: MY comment withdrawn. I was reacting to a quote that everyone is now telling me is incorrect.

…well…if u base all ur judgement on this statement, u might consider that this statement is nothing but wrong bullshit…

I know next to nothing about MPCs. So can you help … are you saying that it is not necessary for the sequencer to be stopped to exit the record mode ?

…of course u can…by simply pressing record button again…

the main difference is…elektron is driven by stepsequencing…
mpc’s are driven by a serial sequencing…

and both concepts are the tightest and best, each in their own discipline…
and most solid ones to find in overall hardware stand alone sequencers…

as i mentioned way up here in this thread…the mpc offers up to 99 sequences (like patterns in the elektron unsiverse) containing up to 128 tracks each, that can be audio regions or any midi content…

and overall handling feels like good old tape trackers…
it has a decent song mode, where u can “glue” sequences again to new sequences…

stepsequencing ala elektron and oldschool serial sequencing ala mpc are two different appraoches…and both have their own advantages…

4 Likes

FAKE NEWS…

That that statement is nonsense.
Over Dub button…record anytime, Press Over Dub again to stop recording anytime…machine continues to play.

2 Likes

Looking into getting an mpc one, though have fancied an octatrack for a while.

I have a monomachine though so have a take on the elektron sequencer:

The main annoying thing if you’re sequencing melodies is that you can’t actually see the notes programmed in without holding a step down. This is really annoying. I tend to jam out something live, but then want to check the notes for the harmony on other tracks. I fee mpc might be better in this regard, or maybe even a tracker.

The 64 step limit is annoying too- I like making slower evolving stuff that builds. The elektron sequencer is just not designed for music that doesn’t repeat patterns again and again IMO. Even at a slow tempo you get through so many patterns to make just one song. I know octatrack has more patterns, but still an annoyance.

The main downside of the mpc (from reading the manual and using mpc studio a bit) is that the sound synth structure is pretty basic: 2 simple Adsr envelopes, 1 lfo (1?!), no mod matrix. It does have automation though.

My current sampler is a e6400 That has cool filters, complex envelopes, amazing modulation etc. But it’s massive and needs external sequencer.

I just wish Akai would upgrade the synth architecture to make it deeper. You could still have a basic or ‘classic’ mode, but I feel people would appreciate some deeper sound design tools.

1 Like

If you want to go deeper than the MPC One, I’d seriously consider the Akai Force. The new OS 3.0.5 takes it far beyond the Mpc’s current mangling and sound design possibilities and it narrows the gap considerably between itself and an Octatrack for those duties. I mentioned in the Akai Force thread that I still felt the Elektron gear was slicker and more elegant in it’s approach and execution but I really believe for the money the overall winner, pound for pound, is the Force.

With Trig conditions & track lengths, its not a hard 64 limit, the track im currently working on the patterns are all 256 long and they dont sound like they repeat

1 Like

Expanding LFO destinations and % based step probability (not empty layer workaround) would be a total game changer for the modern MPC line.

I’ve suggested a few times on Akais feedback form.

1 Like

The new envelope follower can do some pretty amazing things. Haven’t tried the pad or crossfader macros yet though. But you can set up multiple envelope followers and pad, cross faders macros.

people know, there are just too many other ‘you can’t do thats’ in maschine to care too much, they really are different.

And most of the people that say what you just said don’t know that you actually can do whatever it is.

in this day and age you might be right, every time someone brings up an feature on the mpc groove box that’s been there for 20 years people exclaim how they thought those were daw features

One really cool thing with the MPC is the way it used Midi. It Will listen to all incoming CC’s.

In your case you could use the MPC as a song mode box. Plug in midi in and out from MNM to MPC set up one midi track each for each Channel on the MPC. Press record on the Mpc and start playing the MNM, now every knob movement which sends CC’s is recorded into the MPC. So if you do any live things on the MNM you can record your build ups and What not and then play th back via the MPC

4 Likes

…u don’t pick a mpc for it’s synth capabilties…

but u can pick it for anything else…
and be always aware of the fact it’s called a MIDI PRODUCTION CENTER…
and that’s what it is…controlling any external midi gear worx like a charme with it…

while even if the internal synth capabilities on the actual ones are a bit poor, keep in mind u got lot’s of internal fx power to make up with them and u can always RESAMPLE within a click…