MPC sequencing vs Elektron sequencing

Which mpc would you recommend for paring with OT?

I own the Live but if I was starting fresh I’ll probably go with the One. The price, size and extra buttons on the One makes it very appealing. The Live does have the battery but it’s heavy and it’s not that portable. The only real advantage of the Live is the I/O with six audio outs and two midi outs.

4 Likes

I can understand that. If it’s not getting the job done just move on. A good buddy of mine got rid of his OT and went with the DT and couldn’t be happier. He is way more productive with the DT as his centerpiece.

1 Like

If using a MPC Live or One why not use a DAW instead? Genuine question to users of both, and also how long does MPC take to boot and can you get rid of all the factory samples? What is the point of the MPC software? Does the hardware feel like using a DAW with a touchscreen or does it feel like using a hardware machine? It is still not clear to me about audio tracks and how they fit into patterns etc or don’t they?

3 Likes

$$$.

I have a lot of friends who can barely afford a computer + something like Live Standard, let alone Suite.
Add in the cost of an audio interface and midi control, and even with a low spec’d computer you’re hitting $1100+

The One is a more affordable DAW in a box.

That said, if you already have the aforementioned combination of gear and software, the One is less appealing, IMO, since it is effectively a DAW in a box. Something many of us already have, but in another format.

There’s also the mouse vs touch screen argument.

Pick your poison, basically. It’s cool that we have options, and especially cool that some kid getting into production right now can get an MPC One for $30/mo for 2 years and not need a single other piece of equipment to make great music. Just their own drive and imagination.

2 Likes

then again, many people have a computer anyways and could just buy FL Studio for 190€ + a cheap soundcard for 100€.

at least to me, the MPC as such is quite appealing compared to using a DAW. the touchscreen actually looks pretty usable in this context, and adding to that the hardware controls, i believe the MPC would give you a more “hands-on” feel than using a DAW. also very much like the portability aspect.

1 Like

The main issue for me with DAWs has always been the integration with external gear. The midi, latency has always been a headache for me. So I use my DAW as an audio multi-tracker. Usually I’ll record a live performance with my external instruments with as many individual inputs as possible. I have a 20 input Soundcraft UI24r. My interactions in the DAW are minimal, just some editing and some cleanup. For me the MPC is fun to use and as a midi sequencer works great. It’s a instrument I’m comfortable using for many years now. MPC 1000, 500 and now the Live.

5 Likes

true for many, sure.

Imagine you’re wanting to make that jump and get Live Suite, though.
Without upgrade pricing, a new license is more expensive than the MPC One.

$ is a big part of the equation.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies, I’m kind of considering the MPC One (I don’t use a DAW) but still not sure if it will fit my workflow. Can anyone answer these?

How is the bootup time?
Feasable as a recorder for synced stuff - is the audio syncing tightly to midi clock?
Can all the factory samples be removed? IIRC this was an issue on the Live?
What state is the firmware in, buggy or stable?
I definitely would not use it for an all-in-wonder thing but really just for mixing large audio files recorded on my other gear, does it have good editing like fades, cut/paste etc?

I dont have experience with the MPC One, but im pretty shure its quite similar to the Force. And it cant actually sample if you slave it to midi clock. So it needs to be master. You can slave it with Midi Timecode and record and sample. But it is something you need to consider if it will work in your setup.

Boot time is a bit long. So i turn it on first, then start turning on my other gear. And then it is almost ready to go. Its still faster to boot than my 2010 imac with ssd disc’s, but not fast like other dedicated gear.

Factory samples cant be removed from the internal memory. At least not on the older ones. You can delete stuff, but people have been running into trouble when doing so. Not shure why, but Akai does some strange stuff i guess.

1 Like

I have the Live…

Can anyone answer these? I’ll try

How is the bootup time? It’s okay. About 18sec, a little less.

Feasible as a recorder for synced stuff - is the audio syncing tightly to midi clock? Yes

Can all the factory samples be removed?
I think so…can’t imagine why you couldn’t. I’ll try later.

IIRC this was an issue on the Live? Will find out.

What state is the firmware in, buggy or stable? Solid…stable

I definitely would not use it for an all-in-wonder thing but really just for mixing large audio files recorded on my other gear, does it have good editing like fades, cut/paste etc? Yes

6 Likes

Thanks again for answers, say I want to sample an external source through fx can that be done directly or is the workflow sample first, add fx then resample?

Yes, you can sample through the fx.

2 Likes

@darenager

I found the midi clock on the MPC to not be as tight as my Roland or Elektron stuff.

Could be my box…

1 Like

@darenager

I would add though that I’m one of those that didn’t like the FX on the Live. They simply didn’t sound good to my ears. Too clunky and with a tone i really disliked. But I was also a hater of the FX on the Deepmind 6, which people seem to rave about. In contrast I’m fine with the FX on the OT and DT.

1 Like

This was an issue with the Live and as fas I know it still is. I never removed there stuff because of it. I just added a 128GB SD card and have had no problems.

2 Likes

They all have a bit of jitter. Should get better with the release of 2.0. :+1:t6:
Can’t wait :slight_smile:

Call it…humanizing? :grimacing: heh

just though of another question: is it possible to modulate parameters with LFO’s with the MPC software?

sorry, can’t answer…never used the software. prefer standalone.
but I imagine you can set it up to do so? there has GOT to be a youtube vid about that.

sorry for being imprecise, i did mean the standalone software actually, not the the DAW that you’d use on a laptop/desktop.