MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

I totally disagree, the MPC Live is way more convenient than a laptop with a sound card (that will need to be plug in to a power source btw) and midi controller. A portable studio in a box without the need to tether it with anything else.

3 Likes

The gear i want to record has the need of power, and the MPC cant multitrack. Ok you can make music with samples, maybe our workflow is different. But i personally cant see the complete battery driven park session. The post here is meant as answer to Genoart.

Actually you can multitrack up to 8 tracks, not all at once of course. Also there are plenty of battery operated synths available nowadays even analog, my personal list is OP-1, Monotribe Volca Beats and PO-12. Iā€™ll probably carry around my MPC Live like a bookworm carries around books. Iā€™m strickly speaking about the MPC Live, I will agree with you about the MPC X though. If you already use Ableton Live the MPC X might be overkill.

1 Like

I had planned to sell my Electribe Sampler 2, and buy a used Electribe 2 to go with the MPC Live - but then I got the great idea to keep the sampler and stuff it full of single cycle waveforms. I now have 999 different ā€œoscillatorsā€ on it. These two Electribes, and a JP-08 will pair perfectly with the MPC Live for park/forest-jams, I hope. These are the days of our lives!

3 Likes

Did this on get posted ?

1 Like

Not badā€¦ I hope this MPC Live will be in Store in April 2017 as they said or at least in May.

2 Likes

My pre-order retailer claim it will have it on April 1st as part of the first UK batch. Better be true or as a joke Iā€™ll torch their storeā€¦

2 Likes

Which store have you pre-ordered from?

I guess weā€™ll know more during Marchā€¦

The one that catches fire 1st Aprilā€¦

6 Likes

I canā€™t announce all the details of my future crime on a public forum, can I?

It a store in the WESTEND of London that sell stuff for DJs (.co.uk)

3 Likes

Yeah it wasā€¦ itā€™s been a long thread :ecstatic:

2 Likes

Turnkey?

Now that was a shop that deserved an arsonists accelerant and ignition!

2 Likes

i just got a vague ā€œspring 2017ā€ update on my order. sad face

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m going to politely disagree here. One of my old favourite artists is Ian Pooley, who uses an MPC for everything.

Heā€™s about as far away from hip hop as I can imagine.

Great vid of his here:

7 Likes

Top notch vid! The MPC 3k has a great sounding filter and swing. Love Ian Pooley.

2 Likes

Seen Iain pooley DJ few times. Great producer

1 Like

Yeah, great video ā€¦ shows that the MPC is much more than a Hip-Hop machine. But the web is full of ā€œbros, killing the MPCā€ ā€¦ :wink:

AFAIK the MPC was supposed to be a ā€œMIDI Production Centerā€ at the beginning. This is for instance the way I use it up to date. Well, with making use of its audio features too, which have improved over the decades. Itā€™s much fun and creative to chop up and remix self-created clips and loops. This and internal and external MIDI control makes it a center piece of my studio.

Maybe you misunderstood me writing ā€œadopted by Hip-Hopā€, which is not saying thatā€™s the only way to use it. :wink: But I definitely missed to mention MIDI.

2 Likes

Thing is though Iain is using the proper mpc from when akai were a different company. The guys making the new machine are the company behind the rhythm wolf and Tom cat, not the mpc 3000. Itā€™s as much a numark product as it is akai, long gone are the days of akai making the best samplers in the world but Iā€™m still hopeful this is the machine that changes that. Iā€™m just not relying on a legacy thatā€™s no longer there

4 Likes

The live and X have got polyrythms already. They also has lfos and assignable macros on the q-links.

2 Likes