MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

FYI, the MPC Live is only 3oz heavier than an Analog Rytm. Nearly the same sofa experience, really.

I like old Akai. I have low expectations for the new Numark-Akais. I’m actually not really excited by these sampler-workstation endeavors anymore. I don’t want to just play back recorded loops of my music. I want my sampler to have multiple inputs, and behave more like a mixer with a sophisticated sequencer attached for automation of levels, EQs, and effects. I want the sampling that it does have to be totally focused on innovative ways of manipulating samples with every type of synthesis method imaginable using digital and analog technology.

2 Likes

I wonder if the parameters are CC controllable and I can automate it with modstep?

I got an S1000HD and hadn’t noticed it in my recordings. She’s a tank but when i turn her on it’s 2 hours gone in a flash.

My EPS keyboard doesn’t have the noise either.

Man I need to sample something right now.

2 Likes

Why would you want to do that when you can automate them all in the mpc?

At the risk of attracting the anger of lots of people here, I really think that the new mpc will be way better at sample editing than the octatrack, with the tiny screen and convoluted use of the knobs. I still predict they will coexist really well for me tho!

1 Like

No argument with arguments. If you can edit samples with knobs and arrows with Mpc too, it should be better. With the touch screen only, not sure.

1 Like

Weirdly that’s the part that I think mpc will help me out with. Non computer, linear, polyphonic sequencing… And super easy visual chopping/arranging/tweaking of not only samples but also song sections/structure etc. On sofa or in bed etc…

Be nice to work outside of the Elektron sequencers when I want/need to and then team em up where necessary. For the most part I’m over glitchy/modular weirdness, turns out I like ‘songs’. Kind of came full circle… More in to evolving weird arrangements/chord progressions with sharp turns etc. And I have enough stuff here already for when I want to add giltchy/modular style stuff in there… Mostly I just dig classic sounds with some tape wonkiness added. I can see how the mpc wouldn’t appeal to a lot of people, seems kind of bland in terms of what it does FOR you, but if you’re in to long, melodic, polyphonic compositions and want to get down what’s in your head (as opposed to stumble on cool random stuff OT/OP1 style) then it looks super fast for that kind of writing. Like the bones of songs. Then add the weirder stuff later if needed…

2 Likes

Saw vid where the 4 knobs are various resolution for sample editing. Big, medium Fine, finer increments. Should be at least on par with OT in that respect. Not sure it has the OT ‘hold function and knob to snap to zero crossings’ tho… Maybe they could add that, it’s a good OT feature.

Yep for the zero crossing feature but in Mpc the zero must be more obvious…

Man… you should wait for Beatmaker 3… Way better editing capabilities in beatmaker 2 already. But… it’s an app.

I must say I never did audio editing in OT or Mpc or beatmaker app… only for chops and timestretch. When i really dive into sound editing i use protools, since the whole transfer of samples is sofisticated enough to send back and forth.

Anyway let the time be the judge here.

Yeah Massive Price Drop mean something, for Native Instruments it’s always a new Komplete or a New Hardware version… A Product Replacement… For a lot it’s always the sign that when you receive the product super happy, the product in the brand gone into the legacy or discontinued product section of their website :stuck_out_tongue: i’m done with that i pay very much attention to this details. I have pain on Tc Electronic Konnekt Live, Focusrite Liquid Mix… Never could pay the full price, buy it at price drop : waste of time and money at the end.

I’m glad i have right, target in the center on this one :slight_smile:

You should wait next Windows ! :grin:
Talking about hardware here or what ? :wink:
By the way I use my computer too if I have to make several audio edits but the possibility to do it with those hardware is important I think.

According to my MPC 5k manual all control changes seem to be transmitted and received. Therefore there is some chance that the new boxes do it too. What I don’t know is, whether all the Q-Links are mapped accordingly … I have never used the MPC as a remote-controlled unit … just the other way around :wink:

I think that the touch screen is not as precise as a sensitive dial. The advantage I see is quick zooming in and out, and scrolling. But to put a cursor position precisely to the beginning or the end of a wave I would use the dial.

The live is > iPad + controller IMO. If some people find the “no computer” idea funny, I do not. I always prefer focused computing devices over general purpose computing devices, the system is much smaller and therefore more optimized, with less moving parts (no internet etc)

General purpose computing devices excel at prototyping, but almost always I would prefer a hardware device built from the experience/insight gained from the computer software. This is why I applaud the new MPCs - it bridges the huge gap between the state of software (on general purpose computing platforms) and hardware considerably.

3 Likes

In the videos I’ve seen so far of the Live and Touch that seems to be the process, some and move around with the touch screen, roughly place the cursor with your finger, then fine tune with the dial.

1 Like

Absolutely … computer is not a bad thing, it only becomes an annoyance, if hundreds of background-tasks take away from the CPU performance, keep the machine busy with things nobody needs at the moment, and make the entire system unstable. I can’t guess how many GHz of my multi-core system are just wasted by this. That’s why I prefer a no-PC/Mac environment. With “single purpose computers” like the Elektron boxes or my old MPC, I enjoy quick boot times and if there is not a buck in the software, the machine runs, and runs, and runs … :wink:

EDIT: And that’s the reason, why I run a little studio providing a combined computer-based and “stand-alone” centered set-up, which I can use alternatively … best of two worlds :wink:

1 Like

Hey Guys i guess this Thread start to morph like a 2 gangs opposed to each others and try to argument to convinced ! But well i guess it will not working firstly. And then, can we accord everyones on that point :

If someone think to buy an MPC Live or X will give him more pleasure and focus on making music because in his human nature the computer doesn’t suit himself nicely in that purpose… he has probably right to think to buy it ?

We can probably reverse that things and say some people actually making very nice music with a computer and a mouse only…

The quest to get better is a very personal and intimate quest, because it a global quest. The important is at the end is everyone succeed to reach their goals.

so Peace and Love everyone :wink:

2 Likes

I think this is a very healthy discussion. It’s perfectly fine and even preferable that we don’t agree. Another perspective is valuable in getting to know what you really want. I’m still looking forward to trying the MPC Live, the devil’s in the details and just touching it and working with it my change my own perception. But understanding what others will do with it, and its appeal, also helps me to consider if this is the same for me.

It’s ironic, really. I’m a traditionalist, this should be so right for me. Yet, the Octatrack’s my passion. I’m learning a lot here by just following this thread.

4 Likes