MPC Thread : MPC Live - MPC X - MPC One (Part 1)

Yeh jus sayin :wink:

Canā€™t go wrong with OT. Last thing Iā€™ll sellā€¦

2 Likes

Some more obvious than others :slight_smile:

I watch myself on the toilet via a hidden camera ā€¦ Iā€™d never know tho.

2 Likes

if you hit the wall it is immediately obvious if not, well, it my as well be nonexistent :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are no walls but the ones we build ourselves :slight_smile:

well i did not build my gear haha

just joking , you are right of course

I just meant , for me A4 and MD and OT are revolutionary in a way minimoog was, there was oscillators and fiters ind eg and amps and other staff, but no one has ever before put it together in a way bob moog did. But i might be wrong

nick says (at 11.45) in mpc live there are 64 stereo voices + 8 stereo audio tracks. wow. impressive

7 Likes

Thatā€™s interesting:

the touch screen is really snappy

Nick @ 14m 10s

2 Likes

This is proving difficult not to pre-order. Must stay strong.

7 Likes

Live is 860 swiss francs from www.gear4music.ch
X is 1615.00 chf

2 Likes

What is the different between a stereo voice and a stereo audio track?

1 Like

Voices is polyphony for the sampler, which, I assume, arenā€™t affected by the audio tracks

2 Likes

Iā€™m wondering that tooā€¦ when i heard that. I feel like i will be screwed at some point. weā€™ll see soā€¦
I hope to get 16 tracks to arranged in way or another.

looks like audio tracks in mpc is like audio tracks in abletonlive, and voices are for sampler, just like before. and it seems, only audio tracks get realtime warping. at least theyā€™d demoed it that way )

1 Like

I know itā€™s not as simple as this but arenā€™t audio tracks a little like the OTs static machines? For lengthy samples/recordings. You can then chop them up into a sample pool for use which then eats into the voice count.

For the brief time I had my 2500 I thought of it as audio tracks being like a linear daw thing while everything else was sort of like a gigantic fancy midi sequencer triggering sounds up to whatever the polyphony/voices was. Thatā€™s probably stating the obvious to most but just my tuppence worth.

Mmmmā€¦ Been hoping that I could also use this kinda like stuff I do in ableton + push2 -

An instrument track/program -

• trim a sample, say a oberheim pad.
  • play it chromatically (and polyphonically) via pads/USB keyboard and all notes remain same length as original.

And also the same as above but timestrech the sample, for example a short arpeggio. Stretch so itā€™s a bar long. And then play it chromatically (and polyphonically) via pads/USB keyboard, and all notes be same lengthā€¦

And these settings remain true to bpm if changed.

Hoping it has this kind of functionalityā€¦

1 Like

Hi,
i see a lot of confusion about how MPCs works. I will try to explain with my bad english.

MPCs have tracks just like in ableton, Logic or any other DAW. Every track can be:

1. Midi track.
    You can sequence external gear with that(with X you have CV to control analog gear). Midi tracks have arp, chords, record events from synths(tweaking knobs) and so on. You can also change external synth programs with events from midi track. Letā€™s say sequence1 use Patch 20 on your external synth and the Sequence2 use patch 88.

2. Drum track(Program - 808 kit for example).
    This is internal sampler that triggers one shots. You can pitch, slice, layer samples on the pads.
    You have filters, envelopes and LFOs to shape the sound of that samples in the program.

3. Instrument track. (Program)
    This is internal sampler for sampled instruments that you play chromatically(and polyphonically). For example pianos or you sampled your moog bass patch and want to play it in the MPC. You have filters, envelopes and LFOs to shape the sound of that samples in the program. Itā€™s like hardware sampler(S3200, EMUs and so on ā€¦ that kind of programs).

4. Audio track(new for MPCs).
    Itā€™s like audio track in ableton. They can be short or as long as the whole song. They are time stretched to fit the tempo. You can trim, reorder, reverse, pitch shift, delete, mute parts of that WAVE and so on.

The limit for audio tracks is 8(stereo).

For Drum and Instruments programs the limit is 64(polyphony) voices of stereo samples(128 mono)?
The amunt of samples per project is not 64, itā€™s limited to the memory you have(2GB!)

In OT you have patterns. In MPCs they are called SEQUENCES. Sequences does not have limit to 4 bars. One sequence can be as long as the whole song or can be 4 bars of a verse, the other sequence can be chorus, third drop and then you can set the order of that sequences to create song. You also merge them, copy, delete them and so on. You can even change sequences live with the pads :slight_smile:

The order of the tracks is not fixed - itā€™s up to you and your setup. Example:

Seqeuence1:

1. MIDI: Analog external synth
  2. MIDI: External drum machine
  3. DRUM(internal sampler): 909 kit
  4. Instrument(internal sampler): PIano

Sequence2:

1. Audio track: Vocal Wave
  2. Instrument(internal sampler): PIano

Pads have different purpose depending on that you are doing.

If you select MIDI track, you can play external midi instrument with pads. They are just like keys on the midi keyboard.

If you select DRUM track you can trigger the samples. On Instrument tracks you play chromatically. Iā€™m not sure what they do in audio track - this is new. On Drum track you can mute/unmute pads(samples) of that program. for example you can mute the kick for a few bars and then unmute it.

Pads have 4 banks so you have 64 samples for drum program. For instrument program you can use external midi keyboard or the pads. When you change the bank you are transposing the ā€œkeyboardā€ for that instrument.

You can use pads to mute/unmute tracks witch is cool. Letā€™s say you mute the drum track, filter some some external synth and then unmute it.

This is just the basics. Hope this info will help someone to understend little better how MPCs works.

IMHO you donā€™t need to compare MPCs to OT. Both boxes are completely different for different goals. Itā€™s like comparing hammer to screwdriver!(witch is better?) :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Sounds sick

You can also save a chain of sequences into a new compā€™d sequence, a feature that was used alot back in the days.

And the amount of samples is not 64, thatā€™s the max polyphony. You can have a crap ton of samples, and programs! Depending on how many pad banks these will have, you will have 4 x 16 x 4 samples per program, minimum :diddly:

1 Like

Sounds good! What about (real-time) sampling/resampling ?
I assume you can sample a ā€˜Drum track/Instrument trackā€™ into the ā€˜Audio trackā€™ ?

1 Like