Moving patterns between projects

There is a description in the manual for copying and pasting between projects. The best I can offer is try and see how the implementation works for you. I’m sure the sound pool and soundbanks come in handy with making stuff consistent.

As far as I remember a pattern should always be able to locate its samples in the +drive no matter if they have been moved or not due to the hash numbering. But project ram slots are different and slot number does seem to matter greatly in a project

It would be nice if an elektron person chimed in to clarify this stuff

2 Likes

Yeah, that is my point I think. It seems impossible to put patterns from different projects into one a single project due to the sample list being static in a project. But I’ll dive into the manual a bit, thanks for your help.

Edit: Ok, so it works if you export all the sounds, copy the pattern, then import the sounds one by one. I guess it works, but that is just horrendously tedious :smiley:

2 Likes

Following a corrupt project;
I managed to copy a whole project, with C6, partern by patern, bank by bank. After listing my samples, I went to look for the samples in the + drive. It took me a very long time. I will have to use the pool now it will be easier to move.

Sorry to bother, but how do you export all the sounds? Or are you talking about doing it through SysEx?

Sincerely,

A noob

Just in case you haven’t seen the sneak post: elk-herd 3.0 will support what the OP was after:

• Moving patterns between projects, bringing any required sample pool and sound pool entries with them, and correctly renumbering sound and plocks in the patterns.
  • Archiving whole projects to/from files. (Though this is exactly as if you had done a SysEx dump save/restore… but integrated with a UI!)

See: Elk-herd 3 sneak peek

@PlumWrinkles: Observant! crunch is the name I use for all my music software - elk-herd is the Elektron device manager.

9 Likes

My 2 cents here, the workflow I stick to.
The really consistent thing between projects is pattern naming, so I connect my pattern samples with pattern name by exporting as sounds with pattern name mentioned. Also trying to keep my pattern names short. The actual process is as follows:

1. Create a pattern and name it (I’ve shortened “Capetown” to “Cap A”/“Cap B”/etc.);
  2. Export each used sound with relative namespace (“Cap Kick”, “Cap Snare” etc.);
  3. Export pattern via C6 sysex and reimport it in the new project;
  4. Import sounds to the soundpool to use sound-per-trig functionality, skip if not used;
  5. Select the sound from pool (or +drive) at the audio track needed.

That’s all folks!
Saved my mind from explosion, as I write tracks in one project and perform live with other.

1 Like

Hey I’m after a similar goal here. Using your software for the first time and it’s so so nice to see this all laid out. Though I can’t seem to figure out how exactly one would go about moving a pattern from Project A to B… Sorry if I missed this in another post somewhere… Any help much appreciated, thanks!

Second video in the top post of this thread will show you: Elk-Herd 3.0

In short:

1. Load the project you are going to copy fromFetch Project button
  2. Save the project as a file on your computer — Save File button
  3. Load the project you want to copy toFetch Project button
  4. Import from the project you saved in step 2 — Import File button
  5. Select patterns you want to import
  6. Click Import
  7. Send project back to Digitakt — Send Project button
7 Likes

Ahh yes, thank you so much!

To clarify though, for step 4, did you mean Import FILE? Because when I clicked Import PROJECT it just fetched the project I currently had open on the Digitakt. Whereas, Import FILE allowed me to load the file I saved in step 2.

Just wanna make sure I’m doing this right. What a wonderful tool. Thank you thank you!

Yes, Import File. Fixed.

Mind you, Import Project does just what it says… so you can run the workflow the other way 'round if more convienent:

1. Load up project to copy toFetch Project or Load File
  2. Import stuff from any number of:
    a. On Digitakt, load the project to copy fromImport Project — select patterns to import — click Import
    2b. If you have a project file on your disk to copy fromImport File — select patterns to import — click Import
  3. Send project back to Digitakt — or just save the project as a file.
3 Likes

Thank you @mzero for this great app!

By the way, if someone has troubles sending the project back to the digitakt, make sure that the USB connection is set to MIDI and not overbridge. It seems that when OB is enabled, even though reading the projects and samples work, sending doesn’t.

Nice. Nice, nice, nice.
This guy just earned a beer.

@mzero I’d love to use Elk-Herd to manage my projects. Somehow though after asking elk herd to fetch my project I just get an empty loading bar. I’m on Digi 1.5A is Elk Herd still going for that OS? Am I doing something wrong maybe?
Running on Win and Chorme… Finds my Digitakt alright and the Sample Manager seems to work just fine.
Greetings

I don’t think it supports such a recent firmware. From what I’ve seen there is a beta for 1.40 which can do certain tasks, but not all. I don’t think any more development for it has been communicated, so to use it one will have to use a supported firmware.

1 Like

ok. bummer. there is no offical tool that let’s you manage patterns from pc right? Neither Transfer nor Overbridgre support this or I missing something?

Did anybody come across a new solution/ workaround? Any way to organize Patterns on the PC? Else I have to consider downgrading to 1.4 or even 1.3 ? But I would loose the machines right? And propably a bunch of other stuff that I’m not aware of.

You should probably have a read of this, from a moderator.

2 Likes

Ok thx for the hint. Sure right. Sorry I took it back.

1 Like

Ok here is my new Idea. Unfortunatly I can’t get it to work really.
Since Elk Herd offers a SysEx Project Import I thought it could be easy enough to get a SysEx Dump of my Project from transfer and import it into ElkHerd. Manage away and then do it vice versa.
But I can’t get a SysEx File from Transfer but only a .dtprj file. I tried C6 but I’m not sure about if what I am receiving is a proper project file. It does not have a name and appears only as soon as I stop receiving. And finally it doesn’t import into Elk Herd. Well maybe my Idea doesn’t work out in the end but like I said I’m not sure that Project sysex I’m getting is a correct file.
So is there another way of retrieving a project sysex file from the DT?

Ok well my sysex files were ok. I guess it just doesn’t work that way.
I guess I will just give it up to keep my stuff in order on the DT itself for now.