Moving patterns between projects

Hi! I really thought I would find the answer in another post. Sorry in advance if this has been asked before-- I couldn’t find it.

The thing is: I did a lot of sketching between various projects and now I want to pick up a few patterns scattered in different projects and put them together. Is that posible?

not right now
you might be able to do an individual copy/paste type thing (load in project , select pattern , copy , load in the other project etc) … very long winded
and then you’d need to deal with sounds/samples/all the other stuff.
potentially overbridge2 might help , but its probably a long way from release , please trawl through the forums for more info , there is a lot of discussion about overbridge.

and copy/paste is in the manual.

Thanks! Just as you were writing I found that extremely inefficient solution. Copy the pattern, paste it in another project, then save every sound to the +drive and load them in the new proj.

It’s absurd that moving patterns is not a feature. I’ll have to be more mindful about where I craft my patterns :frowning:
Oh well, maybe that will force me to plan songs ahead.

1 Like

Besides copy and paste from one project to another, You can sysex dump individual patterns with c6 and load them into the project of choice. I believe The patterns should link to the proper samples on the +drive this way as long as they are still on the +drive.

2 Likes

Having this be convenient would be huge for me! Then I could easily make a best of project for live shows.

6 Likes

Do they link to the sounds? Is that possible? Or just samples? Do they load the samples into RAM automatically?

I haven’t tried importing a pattern via sysex yet.

I’m literally at the point of re-organising a bunch of patterns between projects myself, so I’m interested to see if that C6 method works…

good idea i want to try it

Does @mzero’s elkherd program help with this? Or is it called ‘crunch’ now?

Saddly, not yet. I’m still waiting for Elektron to create an OS that offers the functions to get at that data via the SysEx API.

Oh… it’s called crunch/elk-herdcrunch is my umbrella name for all the electronic music software I put out… elk-herd is the manager for Electron machines.

2 Likes

This does not work as far as I can tell. The pattern data is loaded in, but the standard kit is still there. I don’t really get how we are supposed to make some kind of live set with this thing. If you have different samples, as you will, in different projects, you can’t replicate a pattern between different projects. Or I might be completely off here. But it seems like for playing live, you would either have to work with the same samples in one project, or have two DTs or an equivalent, like davemech, or just play something from spotify while you load up the next project.

You are correct pattern reload through sysex doesn’t end up loading in samples. Project load does. I just retested as I’ve only messed with the sysex a little bit when it was implemented.

As for consistent patterns across projects I’d take it that is what the sound banks on the +drive are for ultimately. But if I was going for a live set I’d attempt to keep it all in one project. No matter what loading a new project would cause silence from the dt, to avoid that avoid multiple projects in a live setting. In a non live setting patterns can be copied and pasted across projects.

3 Likes

I still don’t get how you copy patterns between projects even if the DT is not running. The sample slots are not consistent across patterns. And as far as I can tell you can’t have multiple instances of the sample list in a project. But this is probably where the sound pool comes in?

There is a description in the manual for copying and pasting between projects. The best I can offer is try and see how the implementation works for you. I’m sure the sound pool and soundbanks come in handy with making stuff consistent.

As far as I remember a pattern should always be able to locate its samples in the +drive no matter if they have been moved or not due to the hash numbering. But project ram slots are different and slot number does seem to matter greatly in a project

It would be nice if an elektron person chimed in to clarify this stuff

2 Likes

Yeah, that is my point I think. It seems impossible to put patterns from different projects into one a single project due to the sample list being static in a project. But I’ll dive into the manual a bit, thanks for your help.

Edit: Ok, so it works if you export all the sounds, copy the pattern, then import the sounds one by one. I guess it works, but that is just horrendously tedious :smiley:

2 Likes

Following a corrupt project;
I managed to copy a whole project, with C6, partern by patern, bank by bank. After listing my samples, I went to look for the samples in the + drive. It took me a very long time. I will have to use the pool now it will be easier to move.

Sorry to bother, but how do you export all the sounds? Or are you talking about doing it through SysEx?

Sincerely,

A noob

Just in case you haven’t seen the sneak post: elk-herd 3.0 will support what the OP was after:

• Moving patterns between projects, bringing any required sample pool and sound pool entries with them, and correctly renumbering sound and plocks in the patterns.
  • Archiving whole projects to/from files. (Though this is exactly as if you had done a SysEx dump save/restore… but integrated with a UI!)

See: Elk-herd 3 sneak peek

@PlumWrinkles: Observant! crunch is the name I use for all my music software - elk-herd is the Elektron device manager.

9 Likes

My 2 cents here, the workflow I stick to.
The really consistent thing between projects is pattern naming, so I connect my pattern samples with pattern name by exporting as sounds with pattern name mentioned. Also trying to keep my pattern names short. The actual process is as follows:

1. Create a pattern and name it (I’ve shortened “Capetown” to “Cap A”/“Cap B”/etc.);
  2. Export each used sound with relative namespace (“Cap Kick”, “Cap Snare” etc.);
  3. Export pattern via C6 sysex and reimport it in the new project;
  4. Import sounds to the soundpool to use sound-per-trig functionality, skip if not used;
  5. Select the sound from pool (or +drive) at the audio track needed.

That’s all folks!
Saved my mind from explosion, as I write tracks in one project and perform live with other.

1 Like

Hey I’m after a similar goal here. Using your software for the first time and it’s so so nice to see this all laid out. Though I can’t seem to figure out how exactly one would go about moving a pattern from Project A to B… Sorry if I missed this in another post somewhere… Any help much appreciated, thanks!