Most complicated thing about OT?

Oh, most complicated thing I did with OT was playing live while being tired + under influence.
You got to get your brain straight for operating this machine correctly!
Lesson learned once for all!!

7 Likes

Actually this is quite a relevant point, some parameters make sense in a 0to127 or -64 to +64 format, some show meaningful values (examples being slice number or comb filter note) but some parameters don’t make sense with arbitrary values and don’t have actual real world values shown, examples being eq or filter frequencies or compressor parameters.

It would sure be handy if there was at least a look up table in the manual.

5 Likes

Yeah you don’t want to be trippin’ when you Octatrackin’ :laughing:

2 Likes

Same here. I just had to practice, practice, practice.

1 Like

Yes, once you adjust the recording buffer size, I think you have to restart. I’ve had this problem. So, I usually wait until I have everything saved to do this.

That’s because you changed Memory settings. “Normal”.

3 Likes

It actually only happend to me once or twice, but the feeling when you’re frantically trying to get your pattern back…oh noes… :grimacing:

We have one layer of undo for copy/paste and clear operations (press button combo again), but that’s it - so save parts often as possible, save the project always after major changes, save the project when you’re taking a break, save the project when you’re content with the current state, save the project, save the project, save parts, save the project, save…

Btw, interesting to see that others also have the habit of saving twice^^ :grin:

I usually save the project twice, save all parts and then save the project again before I switch of my OT (check cf card led for activity before turning off power, only switch off when no activity is indicated).

And I always give my OT a gentle scratch on the back before I walk away :yum:

4 Likes

Didn’t know it was a known behavior! Good to know, thx Sezare.

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

In all seriousness this is one reason I bought the octatrack. I wanted something esoteric to wrap my head around. I wanted to spend hours studying, reading the manual, discussing, watching videos. I wanted a challenge with a good reward on the other side

Edit: at the same time I was learning Octa I was also learning boogie woogie piano and the contrast between the two was very fun…one absurdly heady and one brute force practice

6 Likes

Actually I even believe there’s a pop up telling you do :nerd_face:

Most complicated is a tough call.
-Knowing what exactly you are saving when you save. Parts? Patterns? Projects?
-Sampling settings.
-As said above, it took me quite a while to wrap my head around track recorders being completely detached from audio tracks. It’s one thing in theory, but in practice it’s hard to make sense of. Until it does, and then it’s really useful, it’s just a mental habit to overcome.

And seconding all those who say you have to practise and keep fresh with it. Don’t leave your OT untouched for more than a few weeks!

Nah, the pop up warns you that the buffers will be erased I think. I had nothing in my buffers, hence my surprise.

Ok, I misunderstood what you were saying. Recording buffers erased is normal. Loosing other FLEX slots isn’t.

1 Like

Now I have to say that giving lessons for someone that truly wants to learn OT from A to Z is quite challenging as well.
But pretty cool: I made a new friend :+1:

4 Likes

The pop up doesn’t tell you all tracks (Flex / Static) become silent if you change memory settings. :wink:

1 Like

In fact it seems to silence Static machines only.
It has been apparently solved for FLEX.

4 Likes

Following up on the various saving comments - perhaps the best thing to do if you are new is figure out some save practice and stick to it. I’m a user from the start (9 years now?!) and admit I still have a rather random saving workflow and it comes back to bite me all the time.

1 Like

One of the things I do as a safety net is saving the whole project as a new project. I number them like <project name 1.003> etc. I’ve done this with many things from daw projects to word documents. I do it in Digitakt a lot as well. When I’ve made or going to make big changes, it goes to <1.010> and so on.

Even if I mess up big time I can always revert back to the previous save. And yeah, saving a lot is key. Saving parts is still something I forget from time to time but up till now no heavy impact luckily… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I literally never save projects.

To answer the OP, I’ve always felt the most esoteric aspect of the Octa is sampling…setting up recorders, to one shot trig or not, going into project settings and setting max length…I still half worry every time I’m sampling “am I really recording audio right now?”

JUST YESTERDAY in fact I made the mistake of telling rec setup to listen to src3 (which I set to track 2) and then pressed T4 (the track I was recording) + rec1 instead of MIDI…I didnt know why there was no audio for a while. Then I felt like a silly boy

3 Likes