Most complicated thing about OT?

Ok, I misunderstood what you were saying. Recording buffers erased is normal. Loosing other FLEX slots isn’t.

1 Like

Now I have to say that giving lessons for someone that truly wants to learn OT from A to Z is quite challenging as well.
But pretty cool: I made a new friend :+1:

4 Likes

The pop up doesn’t tell you all tracks (Flex / Static) become silent if you change memory settings. :wink:

1 Like

In fact it seems to silence Static machines only.
It has been apparently solved for FLEX.

4 Likes

Following up on the various saving comments - perhaps the best thing to do if you are new is figure out some save practice and stick to it. I’m a user from the start (9 years now?!) and admit I still have a rather random saving workflow and it comes back to bite me all the time.

1 Like

One of the things I do as a safety net is saving the whole project as a new project. I number them like <project name 1.003> etc. I’ve done this with many things from daw projects to word documents. I do it in Digitakt a lot as well. When I’ve made or going to make big changes, it goes to <1.010> and so on.

Even if I mess up big time I can always revert back to the previous save. And yeah, saving a lot is key. Saving parts is still something I forget from time to time but up till now no heavy impact luckily… :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I literally never save projects.

To answer the OP, I’ve always felt the most esoteric aspect of the Octa is sampling…setting up recorders, to one shot trig or not, going into project settings and setting max length…I still half worry every time I’m sampling “am I really recording audio right now?”

JUST YESTERDAY in fact I made the mistake of telling rec setup to listen to src3 (which I set to track 2) and then pressed T4 (the track I was recording) + rec1 instead of MIDI…I didnt know why there was no audio for a while. Then I felt like a silly boy

3 Likes

I don’t save them. Part settings are saved with the project, in bank files. No risk to accidentally reload them, time saving.

I’d probably save them for a live project in order to reload them in live conditions.

2 Likes

Most complicated thing about the OT = how complicated do you want it to be?

3 Likes

Just had a look through the manual. It didn’t really sell me on it, if I didn’t have the MPC I’d get one though. Synced recording is nice, can you use those record trigs to record random snippets, just out of interest?

8 recorders.
Record can be the 4 inputs, or internal (Tracks 1-8, MAIN, CUE)
Rec trigs can’t be set with conditions or random parameters. But their recordings can be played randomly on any track, up to 8 recordings on 1 track, and a recorder can record its own recording while playing it.

With CUE recording you can add feedback and make any incoming audio totally crazy.

You can activate recorders randomly and play their recordings with midi notes, random arp, lfo on notes, trig conditions…

4 Likes

I think you have to practice OT to realise its potential.

8 Likes

Most complicated thing about OT?

Make a Megabreack of Doom slices reorganization inside maybe? :loopy:

Octatrack 64 breakbeat x 16 slices megabreak of doom:

10 Likes

I know why people keep sustaining this myth. It keeps the Octatrack awesome and mysterious. You can do crazy complicated stuff with it, yes. But come on already. It’s a sampler. You record or load samples into your project. You trim and chop them. You put them on steps.

8 Likes

Yeah, but we like our Octa, our mysterious Octa.

3 Likes

Nah it’s a Dynamic Performance Sampler! :stuck_out_tongue:
If you use it as a Digitakt, it’s not complicated.
But if you want to master every aspect and use it’s full potential it can take a lot of time.

9 Likes

that‘s why people call it complicated. They think they have to use it like that but get frustrated when that doesn’t happen in the first 2 weeks.

Making simple beats and mangle loaded samples is super straight forward. Sequencing other gear via midi as well.

The real time sampling - manipulating stuff and midi loopback crazyness is where it gets complicated.
But how many users really take advantage of these things?

4 Likes

and you can do a lot of very complicated stuff in ableton, but nobody compares it to Cthulhu and Azathoth

much deeper than OT for sure

That’s why its called the Octacult. You’re either in or out. For life.

5 Likes