Most analog sounding analog synth

I love that you have enough modular to warrant the downward facing section. That’s hardcore analog.

Also: ARP vs EMS? Which is best?

1 Like

VCS3 straddled by dual Spring Kings? Wow, that’s a lot of spring. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Maybe maybe… when we built RE303 we experimented with vintage chips / parts. The effect was very notable- more liquid, dynamic sound, better fit to mix, less harsh etc with vintage chips.

Would love to hear opinion of someone who shop for analog synth in late 70s/80s and could see them new.

2 Likes

For non-vintage synth, I would go with the OB-6. To me, this is analog perfection. Yet, it’s on the softer side of analog sounds. Considering vintage synth, the ARP sounds very original, raw analog.

4 Likes

At the end of the 90s I borrowed an original MS20 for a couple of years, that without a doubt was mine. I never really knew what would come out of it next, it seemed to always want to go off on it’s own tangent.

I didn’t really understand it’s architecture too well back then, so that’s probably a big part of my experience too. These days I understand synthesis very well and that can be the enemy of exploration sometimes.

6 Likes

Of the ones I’ve owned:

Sequential Pro-One
Moog Multimoog
Korg MS-10
Roland SH-09
Soma Lyra-4 and -8

3 Likes

I also have a sixth row cabinet that I removed when I was in a studio with a lower ceiling. That row will be built up again soon!

As for ARP vs EMS, I prefer the VCS3 because it isn’t the better of the two. It’s weird, cantankerous, and sometimes unpredictable - all in good ways. However, the 2600 is a lot more stable and a lot more versatile. The 2600 can do more and is more controllable, but the VCS3 can put the sound of disintegrating nebulae between your ears.

5 Likes

The desktop kit version of MS20 is pretty much my dream synth. I’ve seen a few of them for sale over the years, but never could afford it then. I hope I’ll stumble on one some day and have enough money in the bank to buy it straight away.

2 Likes

the MFB Dominion Club was definitely the most “analog” synth I’ve owned. Out of those I have now, probably the Moog Grandmother.

4 Likes

Yeah. The 2600 has one, too. Spring Kings are to be modified to bring their built-in delay sections out to their front panels. I like the sound of dank caverns. :blush:

3 Likes

Despite I do love Buchla sound and use a lot BEMI easel + some 3rd party VCOs, I really can’t call it analog sounding- it’s too unique and different but also quite cold sounding thing

The most “analog” modules sound wise are 259 and 25s VCOs, but still very special and clean.

Cool for techno : )

6 Likes

Anything that takes 20 to 30 minutes to get in tune. Like Moog Sirin.

Not a Synth but the Moog MF Drive pedal.

5 Likes

The Model 10 can take hours.

5 Likes

Moogs are Moogs of course!

Don’t like modern moogies TOO MUCH but still use some (2xdfam + older moogerfooger efx ).

They definitely have analog vibe and smooth and creamy character, but what I don’t like about them - the sound is a bit empty from the inside - without strong :muscle:t3: skeleton, more like a vanilla cream souring on your ears or in case of dfam - vanilla iceCreram cannonballs : )

Older Moogs were a bit stronger (I used to have Prodigy and Source ), with a bit more formed sound.

1 Like

Are you serious ? 15 minutes doesn’t cut it ?

1 Like

:scream: Now I know what you do first in the morning.

2 Likes

The DFAM, too?

Heh… go get vintage Polyvox somewhere, it will tuning in for decades : )

Actually older USSR synths (polyvox, ritm2, alisa) were quite interesting and nasty sounding, definitely very unstable and nonnormal. Fun. Played with a few in early dayz but decided to stick with more “normal” korgies Rolands etc…

1 Like

I wouldn’t ever spend the kind of dough it would take to have one, but I spent a good amount of time listening to demos of the Deckard’s Dream

Damn.

3 Likes

Well, yeah… it’s not like it can’t be strong, or sounds absolutely weightless… no… but it’s something about the filter, maybe snappiness of envs, maybe some tonal characteristics- it takes a lot of space in mix and still don’t hit too hard : ) like a insane uncontrollable giant : )

Of course, all can be fixed and mastered but the essential character suffers from this, like grandma… otherwise they’d call it grandpa :slight_smile: