Moog Subharmonicon

Love it. Wow. Nice. Finally something different.

1 Like

Sweet vibes, thanks!

Did you pick up the modular bits post-Moog?

In the little case next to the DT I assume?

1 Like

Thanks for the wee KB/VCO tip-off!

I did take a look on the Moog site but couldn’t find anything specific to the two devices. I’ll look again.

You need to register your instruments. That gets you into the secret stash.

2 Likes

thanks!

yes!
In one of my post I said it was fun to modify the running internal SubH sequence with the DFAM one and I thought: I want more :wink:

So I bought (everything second hand) a rackbrute 3U, Squarp Instruments Hermod, Mutable Instruments Plaits, Make Noise Morphagene and 4ms Listen four.

really fun to patch them all together!

3 Likes

Any chance of a bit of a rundown on all of theses and a SubH? How your using them? I’m (obviously) a complete modular noob but after playing with the subH and a Strega, I’m really intrigued by this rabbit hole and I’m liking what your doing! Not really sure where to start and had to google every one of the modules on your list hahah

1 Like

I was and am in the same position as you right now regarding modular gear! it’s all pretty new to me!

modules

The rackbrute 3U case is nice because it comes with everything you need to just plug the modules so it was a no brainer for a newbie like me even though I discovered after the fact that it’s 88HP - minus 5HP for the power supply module but it was half the price so… 4ms does “pod” which are really neat case that you can extend with one another but the one without the X can’t fit all the modules as it’s not very deep. Intellijel cases are nice too, a bit pricey though.

The Squarp Instruments Hermod is the modular version of the Pyramid, MIDI controller.
It offers 8 sequencer tracks with gate/cv or MIDI in/outs/usb and it also has 4 cv ins that you can use to modulate Hermod or record CV info from other gear.
each tracks offer global MIDI FXs (euclidian, chance, arp, harmonizer, scale, LFO, Glide, etc). You can chain up to 8 of them (MIDI FX being on by default, it gives you 7 effects per track)

Basically it can be a sequencer, generative sequencer, quantizer, euclidian rhythm generator, LFO generator, clock, MIDI to CV converter, slew, etc… With MIDI and USB you can plug a small keyboard and record sequence by playing live on your keyboard. Editing sequence directly with the 8 pads and the small screen is no fun though…

Mutable Instruments Plaits is a digital sound generator, an oscillator. it comes with 16 models and has an internal LPG that works as a basic Attack/Decay generator so it can be handy (you don’t need an envelope generator module right away!)

Make Noise Morphagene is a granular sampler.
You can live sample up to 2.9min of sound, overdub, slice the recorded file, play reverse, set start/end point and “morph” the sound in weird ways.

4ms Listen Four is a small mixer with 2 mono ins and their pan knob, 2 stereo ins, volume control, one headphone output jack and normal output that can be set to modular level or line level. tbh not sure it was the smartest buy of them all haha… but you can extend them with a modular <> line level module as I want to plug in my synths too.

so how is it all plugged together?

Hermod is the main brain so everything is plugged to it.

Hermod MIDI out to SubH

it sends clock/transport and override the SubH sequence with an external sequence for the chorus. (I have 2 patterns: one with no MIDI note sent to the SubH, therefore, SubH uses its internal sequencer and one with a MIDI note sequence sent to the SubH overriding the internal sequencer. I switch the patterns manually)

SubH starts with its internal sequencer doing a four on the floor chord progression.
But I have set 2 rhythms on the VCO2 that I start after the first chorus (When Hermod is sending MIDI, I can change the SubH rhythm settings without anybody noticing so it’s really practical to switch from the 4 on the floor sequence to the arpeggiated one)

Hermod clock out to DFAM

I just send clock into the adv/clock in. DFAM does the sonar sound with its 8 steps where I have different velocity settings and pitch being off (wanted to change the decay with the pitch sequence but run out of cables haha)

Hermod to Plaits

I have a cv/gate track using 2 euclidian MIDI FX chained together.
And a modulation track sending cv to the Model cv with a different rhythm from the euclidean one. That’s how I switch from kick/snare/hihat models to create the beat and the euclidian rhythm turns on itself so it kinda evolves all the time.
mid section I increase manually the decay of the Plaits to create longer kick/hh sounds.

The Plaits goes into Morphagene.

You can see me at the start live sample the Plaits.

Hermod to Morphagene

Hermod is sending a gate info every bar into the clock of the Morphagene. By doing so I can press the record button at any time and it will start in time with the next clock and I can stop the recording at any time, it will stop at the next clock. so you get perfectly synced recorded loop.

once my loop is recorded, I blend the loop sound in (you have a mixer knob on the Morphagene)
that is already reversed.

You can see me increase the delay on the DN when I record the loop as I wanted more weird sfx recorded.

Morphagene and DFAM goes into the 4ms Listen Four that goes into the DN with line level.
The DN is used as a FX box. I have the overdrive set at 20% at first and increase it all along. chorus on the drum too, why not haha. and I increase the delay from time to time to widen up the beat.

I record the DN ins via OB.

SubH is plugged directly into my Apollo Twin X (didn’t have enough patch cables!!)

Hope it was useful!

3 Likes

btw, I recommend the VCVRack soft if you wanna try eurorack modules. They have the Mutable Instruments modules and many other ones :wink:

1 Like

I thought Elektronauts was a GAS enabler until I discovered modulargrid.net

6 Likes

Thanks so much @blakewalt! Got a busy day but will come back to this this evening… much appreciated!!

1 Like

the worst

1 Like

Thanks again @blakewalt - so much info and much appreciated. This will take some time to digest for sure :slight_smile: now makes sense how you’ve done what you’ve done. Last song I was like “wait, what, I thought that was a SubH” and now I get how you’ve done that. Nice one!

1 Like

@brucegill thanks! Glad if it’s useful somehow!
Perhaps I should put text in my videos to explain what I’m doing (and for me to remember as I don’t keep any of my settings, all my jams are one off ad libs and I can’t reproduce them haha)

2 Likes

SubH being controlled by CV from MPC One.

2 Likes

The subharmonicon is quite dominant in this one, similar to its counterpart the digitone later on.

I ended up rounding off the moog semimodular-trinity over the past year (adding DFAM and M-32).

My current setup are these 3 going into the OT, mangled there with record and play triggers and different scenes.
Additionally the DN and RD-8 are contributing their sounds.
All are multitracked into ableton.

:panda:

4 Likes

So above I talked about patching M32 KB (out) to SubH VCO1 (in). This is an example of that

I modified ‘Push Pull’ from Moog’s Subharmonicon + Mother 32 patch book to include a few more patches to KB. I used a Hosa ‘jack’ 5-way splitter to patch M-32 KB to M-32 VCF Cuttoff, SubH Cutoff, VCO1, and VCO2. The melody (the high notes) here are actually from the SubH, which shows how you can get a much longer melody than just 4 notes by modulating with the M-32 Keyboard. (This is also possible with any sequencer that has CV out.)

8 Likes

lovely!

1 Like

Nice collection of patches. Even some MIDI keyboard playing towards the end

10 Likes

Quick question:
What size patch cables would I need to connect a 3 tier setup,
say from the lowest point of the lowest patch bay to the highest of the high?
I thought maybe 30 cm but I want to be sure.