Moog Subharmonicon

I’ve watched the video at least 3x now.

The sequencer is a unique animal. Only two rows of 4 steps - one row for each group of main VCO + sub VCOs. Can sequence either main VCO or the sub VCOs. etc. Looks limited if you’re used to 64-step or greater pattern beats. OTOH, the options for creating polyrhythms and evolving patterns are just so bananas.

2 Likes

About the sequencer: Yeah the 4 step limitation on the right side is more than made up with the possible combinations and invention of the “sub-harmonic sequencing” controls on the left. The complexities running there give this synth sort of a mind of it’s own. Fractal-like in a way, self-similar repeating patterns, with the unexpected creeping in.

Like i said i’d love to play with this. I’ve already started to think about a digital version of this (using Bela modules as a first thought), that would let me experiment with the sorts of variables the Subharmonicon introduces. Other methods and controls are possible as well.

On the other hand the Sub-Harmonicon is ready to go, or likely will be soon, so maybe i grab one. My Moog list has suddenly gotten pretty long, The DFAM , the Granny and this.

An early favorite, among the demos posted so far

3 Likes

You know what I Iike the most about these new(without knowledge of owning besides the mother) semi modular systems. Is that the sequencers albeit ´less tradtionally stacked with enough steps´ seems fun to play with on both machines compared to the horrible mess that the mother 32 sequencer is. In fact they lack a traditional sequencer and that´s what makes them so damn interesting. I wanted a Digitone bad. But that desire has gone since I learned about the DFAM and the SUBHARMONICON.

1 Like

Loopop did this video about the Electro-Harmonix 95000 looper which is really cool – but what did he use to feed it but the Subharmonicon – and with a real wonderful effect. So this is a good listen.
Loopop definitely is making the most of his Moogfest visit.

5 Likes
It's funny you bring that up

Looppop has become my favorite gear commentariest. Just keeping it about the gear without trying to overly sell his personality- it feels so professional and normally very detail focused(and it doesn’t hurt that he’s been milking the Subharmonicon footage

1 Like

yea his vids are great. plus one.
I love the index on the left in his vids too. top stuff.

1 Like

Agreed. “Only the facts mam” And he’s so well prepared

1 Like

god i want one of these so bad. is there any real hope for a production model?

1 Like

The Werkstatt and DFAM both became production models…

It doesn’t bode well that they released the Sirin instead of the subharmonicon

according to Reddit (quality source) someone there spoke with a Moog rep at a trade show and he said it was a little too weird and experimental, and won’t be released any time soon.

bummer. I’d like to play with one for sure.

Bummer, I have a Mother-32 and a DFAM and bought a 3-tier stand recently thinking about the moment when I could put a Subharmonicon in the remaining slot… :frowning:

They need to release this cause it’d be the perfect trifecta with the two mothers. Could even rename it Substitute-Mother or Sub-Mother :grin:

Thats pretty much the stack i want.

‘Too weird and experimental for release’?? :frowning: For real? Talk about a company being out of touch with their market :frowning: Doesn’t really ring the ‘super niche’ bell for me. Would love to get my hands on one tho…

If Moog don’t release it maybe behinger will…

1 Like

yeah, cuz they’re well known for taking risks… :roll_eyes:

No risk…

How? You have to have one to copy all the circuitry.

I was just kidding :wink:

Hopefully moog change heart on it and put these out…

1 Like