Moog Subharmonicon - It’s not you, it’s me

Current/former owners of this magical device - What do you like/dislike about it? And for those who parted with it, what were the reasons?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

Read our opinions here:

7 Likes

Thanks! Will check it out.

Well, the first ~200 posts are reactions to the Moog Workshop model and build-up for the mass-produced version. :slightly_smiling_face:

My thoughts in a nutshell.
Con: The limitation of four steps when using the built-in sequencer (which is a key part of the SubH magic)
Pros: Love everything else about it!

1 Like

I am a relatively new owner, but I still like it and am intrigued by it. It’s a synthesiser based on division, which is really interesting to me. It unique. If you’re into off-time stuff, you’ll like it. That said the sound is not totally my cup of tea, it certainly a moog sound. It has a kind’ve bell tone at stages is how I would describe it, but you can invert the EG and find some pretty rad squelchy liquid vibes. Other times the sound is quite solid and I get great results if I don’t open the filter too far. I haven’t even touched the patching yet, I’ve just been enjoying the knobs themselves for weeks. Mixing with some effects, it’s a great sound source. I love the filter. And the individual volumes of the osc’s are a great way to shape the harmonics. It’s a nice garden to me. Still lots more to explore. I find it more interesting than the DFAM which I got with it, but ymmv. Still need to put some more time into the DFAM. I think it might be built more for people that like noise and distortion type stuff, but I’m still finding my way around it.

1 Like

Just saw your post in the other thread. Thanks for the input! Food for thought

I really like the sound but the internal sequencer not so much. combined with an external MIDI sequencer it starts to be funnier. mixing&matching internal and external sequencers is even better.

If the main out is mono, you also have access to the 6 individual oscillators at modular level so with a mixer (you need your own envelope and filter though…) you can spread them in the stereo field or manipulate them individually.

you can also control voltage all the oscillators individually so with say a DFAM, you can have the SubH internal sequencer and the DFAM sequencer playing combined melodies, that’s fun.

But I really like the raw sound so even with patching and internal sequencer out of the way, I almost see it as a Minitaur with a different flavor.
with 6 oscillators this can be huge :wink:

2 Likes

I struggled to get the scales in tune. I could not tune it, it sounded like a guitar or a piano that was out of tune, and no matter how much I changed the VCA, or Frequency, it did not sound melodic.

I also was annoyed, that if I finally arrived at a patch that I liked, which took some time for me, if I turned it off, and the turned it back on, it did not sound the same. I would be interested in hearing from someone, who actually is able to perform with it, does so :confused:

1 Like

With the sequencer out of the picture, creating tuned chords is possible. If you plug/unplug the SubH, it does not change but I would advise to wait 15 to 30min after turning it on. I found it to be stable enough but temperature changes can be a problem.

With the sequencer, you need to push the reset button a lot to avoid editing a running sequence because then it will be impossible to reproduce.

The best thing though is to sample whatever you get out of it and use that. so if you manipulate a running sequence and get a cool rhythm, record it right away.

1 Like

This is the quintessential Subharmonicon experience! Get a nice complex pattern going, pause to make a drink or scratch yourself, and discover that it’s completely changed when you start it up again. Then begins the painful task of trying to nudge the sequences around to get it back, with each permutation gradually erasing the memory of the original from your head (and begging to be developed in its own right).

I think one of the great features of the SubH is that it (eventually) teaches you to be able to let things like this go. Lost your interesting permutation? Don’t worry, there are thousands more right over here.

7 Likes

oh sure! I bought the DFAM and SubH because I wanted some happy accident machines creating patterns I would never think of and was ready to sample the hell out of it.
But sometimes you do want some control and in such a case the method I gave is the best thing I could come up to maintain some sanity when not in “gimme some weird magic of your own” mode haha.

2 Likes