Moog Sound Studio

I’ve been really enjoying the Sound Studio videos that are emerging on YouTube; it really seems like the right balance between immediate, inspiring, and great sound design. So I decided to add a Mother 32 to my existing Subharmonicon and DFAMx2 setup. It was a ton of fun to explore. I still wish the Subharmonicon was a little less squirrelly and a little more predictable from day to day, and I definitely wish the Mother 32’s sequencer didn’t require so many button-press combinations, but I just love the sound of these boxes so much. It also helps to get some effects into the mix!

11 Likes

well apart from all the poor schmucks who’ve already bought 2 or 3 of these synths from Moog, as well as probably the tiered stands & would like not to be penalised for being early adopters ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Delightful jam, thanks!

“Squirelly” - I love it; cheeky, erratic yet loveably charming beast that it is.
Burying nuts that you can’t find at a later date :smile:

1 Like

Very.Nice.Jam.

2 Likes

Per the vendor, my Moog Sound Studio triple bundle should ship next week. Very excited. Fingers crossed for zero additional delays.

2 Likes

came for the matriarch but got GAS for the sound studio instead.
Nice demos

4 Likes

After a lot of considerations, I ordered it. I hope it’s a fun experience.

I received the sound studio. It was a fun experience to assemble the rack.

Semi-modular is new to me, but I’m already dreaming of building a row of eurorack effects to compliment the 3 units in the sound studio.

It is very fun so far.

2 Likes

If you want to expand further with eurorack or a Moog GM or Matriarch, I’d recommand the book Patch and Tweak with Moog. There are a lot of background history about the company and the machines and patch ideas as well.

4 Likes

I didn’t like the book :slight_smile:

Just be careful you don’t end up with something like this! There is a heck of a lot you can do with the moog trio so my advice would be to stick with just those (and a reverb pedal) for as long as possible, this eurorack is one i am just finishing putting together to pair with the sound studio with a focus on complementing the subharmonicon and its 6 oscillator outputs, it really is fun but wow , it was time consuming and expensive…

11 Likes

Whoa, nice rig! I agree, I’ll stay in the kiddy pool a bit longer before dipping my toe in the ocean.

I bet you’re having a nice time with your sweet setup!

1 Like

I have it on my radar now. Thanks :pray:

I’ve thought about getting a few modules (probably mainly quantizers, envelopes, and LFOs) to complement my M-32/SH/DFAM setup. Nothing so massive as you have.

What do you think are the best modules to pair with the semi-modular trio?

This is my “utilities” rack for my semimodular gear, including my DFAM and SubH

Screenshot 2022-05-12 at 11.54.27

I’m pretty happy with it, probably the most useful modules for me are Pam’s new Workout, the 3xMIA, and Maths. I’m going to swap the Pico LPG with a RFD (reset for DFAM). I’m in awe of @killingtime’s rack though!

4 Likes

This is super helpful, thanks!

It’s just the kind of thing I was considering for myself, so this will be an excellent starting point for my shopping list.

2 Likes

It depends on what you are musically aiming for from your euro expansion. This rack is weighted towards processing the 6 oscillator outputs from the subharmonicon and mixing them down to stereo which leads to the need for lots of attenuation/mixing/routing/ hence the pair of AI800 matrix mixers and jumble henge. Jumble Henge is fab for quickly filtering and positioning many voices into something coherently stereo. I have all the 6 oscillators available to tap into as they arrive into the rack via the Behringer system 100 173 gate/multiple module. I have a lot of great filtering options with Blades, 3 sisters and the 2 triple vactoral resonators (sounds like a QPAS) as well as spectral filtering/waveshaping with the LR4 and Tahn.

Stages and Tides provide the envelopes/LFO along with 2 dedicated looping ADSR modules I DIY’d. I particulary connect with Tides for adding macro organic movement to a patch or for rhythmic triggering. The joystick module provide hands on modulation chaos on any 2 chosen parameters and and I am DIYing a FSR strip and module to fit in the 1U at the bottom of the rack.

Harlequins Context is a relatively new module that I have just DIY’d but the plan for it is to enable me to cycle through stored harmonic intervals with the Subharmonicons sub Osc’s.

The big discovery whilst building this was how good Just Friends is, perfect as a source of related envelopes/LFO’s but also such a great oscillator in its own right which, I think, complements the sound of the Moogs.

TLDR my rack is very esoteric and this rack from spikysimon is much more sensible !

I tried to do some of what you’re doing (processing the SubH outputs separately to create a kind of morphing patch), but even not going for stereo I quickly ran out of VCAs and mixing options. I admire your dedication to the vision!

1 Like

I have really enjoyed planning, building and using this but, yeah, 6 voices in euro is kinda crazy, I meant to say in the above post that on top of Veils and Blinds for VCA’s I built the Jolin Labs Agogo which is has 8 superb sounding vactoral VCA’s really great with the SubH.

1 Like

I’ve been enjoying my time with the sound studio.

I was wondering if there was an advantage to using one synth over the other as master clock?

I am at the conclusion that mother-32 is the best one, as it has the ability to do swing tempo.

Just wondering if dfam or subharmonicon have anything to take advantage as master clocks for the rest of the respective trio.

1 Like