Moog Mirror (8-voice poly)

Looks like a big analog poly using the design language of the Matriarch. I wonder what the big red button over the middle octave is? Looks like an expression pad or something, which would make sense if Moog wants to get into MPE. I’m also hoping that the wavefolder from Mavis can make it over to a proper big Moog for once.

1 Like

Didnt people say it was a Matriarch at the Super Bowl? This wasnt mentioned.

There are 16 white markings below the red strip so I’m gonna guess it’s at least a 16 step sequencer for note and modulations…

There was a Matriarch at the Super Bowl, amongst other Moog synths. If this was new one was indeed at the Super Bowl, then I wonder if it was the synth below the Matriarch.

1 Like

Hard Pan bottom right. Zoom x50. Enlarge. “Detune button” . Print hard copy.

3 Likes

I think that is just 8 buttons right next to eachother. I could be wrong though.

2 Likes

ah the timing, i just started using this thing daily again haha. whatever this is, much more exciting front panel than the moog one. i really like those chonky led buttons

this unit I own was produced in 2019, has been just amazing so far minus some small quibbles with the keys

6 Likes

I would posit that the moog one will prove to have a better build quality, it was absolutely the most “considered” release they possibly ever made. The looks of the new mystery moog are definitely appealing though, I just think that until proven otherwise, the build quality of the the moog one will probably be superior.

1 Like

Yea it really is quality, the knobs, overall body, and the fact that this thing is pretty reliable after the most recent patches.

I must say it has a very disappointing keybed for the price though. Waldorf Iridium feels much better at like 1/4 the MSRP.

I’m sure inmusic/moog will have solved this with the new release. There’s an extensive procedure to grease the keys to reduce some of the infamous “creaky” keys but tbh when i’m using this thing the volume is loud enough that the creaks, or the fan never ever bother me

regarding price, if they can get this in the same range as p6/ob6 keyboard gg
no hate DSI/sequential stuff is cool but lack of multi timbrality has kept me far away from any of those offerings for a long time

1 Like

@HoldMyBeer good thing we got that beer instead of muting the OG thread! A new moog on display at the half time show, wild!

5 Likes

:rofl: :beers:

4 Likes

I also suspect 4k-5k for the price. I think they don’t make the 8-voice One anymore, so there’s nothing between the Matriarch at 2k and the 16-voice One at 10k. With stuff like the Iridium Keys, OB6/P6/P5/Gemini/Super6 all in that ballpark I think Moog wouldn’t be out of line to come in with a 6-8 voice poly synth with less powerful architecture than the One in that price bracket.

I have a One, so it’s not what I want, but all these things clearly sell so why shouldn’t Moog get some of that market.

2 Likes

First synth since inMusic purchased Moog? Wonder if there will be any influence…

Memorymoog : Moog One :: SL-8 : ?

2 Likes

Huang certainly knows what an NDA is and what it means. My guess is Moog / inMusic asked him to do this. This is a teaser.

Same most like with Usher as well.

Super Bowl advertising is very expensive. Nice when you can pick it up “for free”.

So this was a two step teaser. Very clever planning. Step three is likely on the way.

Moog is scheduled to be at the World’s Smallest Show ** – Synth East - Norwich in a week and two days. ( thread )

Will they show it there ? They are not schedule for Synthfest France or Superbooth yet, the next two shows after that.

Just speculation.

** World’s Smallest Show according to me --sarcastically.

13 Likes

Agreed!

This isn’t traditional moog style, but it definitely reeks of InMusic’s style of releasing things. Someone at inmusic is addicted to leaks and teasers :joy:

2 Likes

I have an early production 8 voice (SN76) that has worked flawlessly for me so far (and this is after being shipped from the original owner in Florida to me in California). I love the UI on the One, tbh it’s a solid 75% of the reason I got the synth. I have a Matriarch too, and it looks good in it’s own way (and whatever this new thing is it looks like it borrows a lot from the Matriarch), but the One feels more timeless to me - except that screen which is going to age like milk. Just enough retro to let you know about Moog’s history without beating you over the head with it. The Matriarch by comparison, really feels like I stepped in a time machine and I’m using a synth from 40-50 years ago (I say this as someone who has never used a synth more than 20 years old so I’m guessing here). I like the One more, but neither is bad.

3 Likes

Why is everyone saying “Matriarch”? That was all about the CV analog patchcable side of Moog. Between the screen, soft-buttons, the little One-esque triangles, and lack of patch bay, this feels directly in line with the Voyager/One “digital patching via software” side of the company.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha >gasp< ha ha ha ha ha!

My guess starts at US$6k.

2 Likes

lol that’s like 1500 bucks less than i paid for my 16 voice :joy: :thinking:

really the response about the price of the moog one was probably the biggest criticism.

if they keep this under 3k USD and its bi-timbral, has a nice keyboard with aftertouch… will be a massive hit and probably outsell all the competitors

I bid lower. New colab and want some good PR so it makes sense to make it accessible for people.

1 Like