Moog Minotaur Vs. Matriarch

I would second what @Affectionate-Bee-781 and @HoldMyBeer already said about Moog filters and the Matriarch work around.

I don’t have the Minotaur and haven’t used one, but I have a Sub37 alongside my Matriarch and it handles bass a lot better than the Matriarch. I do really like the Matriarch and it’s sounds, but the Sub37’s Multidrive is so much more useful when it comes to compensating for bass end when you bring up the cut off.

1 Like

Do you know if any of the Moog desktop units come close to the Sub37 as regards BASS? (Sub25 doesn’t count.)

Or which desktop is closest to the Matriarch soundwise?

I have a Matriarch but if I ever decide to play live I’m afraid my Mate is not coming with me. :grinning:

I would definitely say yes although you have 2 more Oscillator Waveshapes on the Sub37 (Triangle and Pulse). Either Minitaur (not Minotaur) or Sirin.

1 Like

I think if wanted something desktop sized to do Matriarch or Sub37 sounds live I’d probably get an MPC One…

1 Like

I don’t think that they have desktop unit that is in the Sub 37 or 25 family. If you want desktop and bass, check out the Minotaur.

From what I understand, the Grandmother has the same circuits, although it is not desktop and is monophonic, while the Matriarch is paraphonic. The Mother 32 is desktop sized. Although, I found that one to be very limited.

1 Like

Haha same here.

…no synth out there, not loosing fundamental low end once resonance gets boosted…
physically no way around it…
only increasing option the oppasite way is, if u find the exact selfresonating sweet spot down there…which then, worx only for that particular spot in frequency…

and the mini taur is a specific replica of moogs old and famous vintage bass pedal add on…
therefor it is “only” doing low registers…and to help that simple fact and support it’s tune stability for lowest ocatve, which it’s doing in an outstanding way!, even with boosted resonance by the way, it’s further pitch ladder is limited and shut up from c4 upwards…nothing happens beyond this point anymore regarding to pitch…
for too many good reasons…

the very best analog bass one trick pony out there…
and even given the fact, that all moogs got a nice fad low end…
the mini taur nails it anyways down there…

The Micromonsta2 touts a filter which retains bass as resonance increases. It’s digital but has multiple filter types and resonance options … and for the price and build quality I’d have no problem taking it for a live set.

1 Like

I don’t have a Matriarch but my Digitone can make wall rattling bass that the my Minitaur can’t. It’s a different flavor but something I definitely did not expect from the DN.

3 Likes

For playing live, I’m more likely to sample the Matriarch and play back the samples in Octatrack or even the MC-101.

Would probably just use my MC-101 for any bass parts that need to be sequenced live or played manually live. I may also bring out the Korg Monologue since it has patch memory.

1 Like

By the way, if I recall correctly the monologue doesn’t cut the bass when resonance is up. Same with my microvolt 3900.

The Vermona Lancet 15’ doesn’t lose bass when the resonance is boosted and it sounds quite similar to the Minitaur.

I would like to thank everyone for the output. I never would have assumed the digitone as a viable candidate for bass. What I am looking for is a warm, thick tone that doesn’t fall apart at lower registers. With that in mind - what else would be recommended?

Reading the forum:

4 Likes

I was actually revisiting Pro 3 videos for the sake of the Pro 3 itself, not because of this specific topic, but I stumbled upon Nick demoing the Pro 3’s “ladder resonance compensation” feature to address the very issue with Moog style ladder filters the OP complained about… as turns out Nick also hates that about ladder filters.

1 Like

What is unique about the Minitaur is that it locks the phase of it’s oscillators for maximum bass energy at the attack of a note every time… this can be turned off in the editor which can be useful for more midrange sounds. I’m not sure but it sounds to me something like this might be implemented in the DFAM as well, which just hits super hard.

DSI synths over the years have been solid mono bass machines… Mopho has two sub osc, Pro One/AS-1 lets you compensate for the LPF resonance with a HPF to boost the fundamental frequency, and the Pro 2 (current favorite) has a LPF and a multimode filter that can run in series or parallel or anything in between, allowing you to really dial in low end.

DN and older Yamaha FM synths hold their own as well, more solid and precise low frequency than most analogs.

All that said, if I wanted one simple synth just for low frequency energy, Minitaur is the one.

I think you mean increase resonance.

Now this is a well known behaviour of the typical Moog 24dB LP ladder filter. It’s also true for the Minitaur. But the heritage of the Minitaur is the Taurus bass synth, which had - IIRC - a particular circuit design to support the low end and AFAIK this design was blueprint for the Minitaur.

Comparing Voyager, Sub37, and Minitaur, I would say that the Minitaur has more weight at the low end, if the resonance isn’t set to strong.

@Affectionate-Bee-781 has good advice. Using the HP could compensate for the losses of the LP.

But … if it doesn’t have to be a Moog, there are many candidates with onboard compensation circuits, or aren’t using ladder filter design at all …

1 Like

There’s a spot were the bass almost cuts out completely when adding resonance. You need to know its sweet spots.

The Minotaur, sorry the Mini taur, eh… the Minitaur does bass though like nothing else I’ve heard. Even through headphones I’m like the f* is this.
It also never sounds bad and pierces nicely through a mix. Its there with its raw power and manly presence yet it blends in nicely with all those fragile ladies. His name is Mino Taur for a reason.

Someone already mentioned the digitone. It’s veeeery good for basslines. As are most FM synths of course. But The Tone is easy with plenty of boom

1 Like

I have a Cwejman and L-1 filter that hold bass really well with added resonance , though I mostly just do FM for bass. Just not a huge fan of the ladder filter, sadly

came here with exact the same question, but scrolling through the topic no one here seems to have both the matriarch and minitaur so no direct comparisons…