Moog Minitaur et al., opinions?

The Minitaur plays really nice with my A4, but I’ve got a problem with my unit, the lovely Moog filter skips values and wont respond until i move it a fair amount from its original value. Ive tried updating but no joy, any thoughts lads?
Will get in touch with Moog later this evening when I’m with it, hope its not goosed…

I just picked up a Minitaur and I love it!! The Rytm creates the perfect beats, the OT, well, it does what it does and does it well (midi sequence, FX, audio routing, looping/mangling), and I love the A4 but can never get the bass I want. Close, but just never perfect… The Minitaur completed my setup - the misssing link.

My wife even even mention, “I really like the bass in those tracks”… She has never commented on elements of my music. She noticed a huge improvement on the tracks I’m working on, but she doesn’t know I dropped the cash for the Minitaur - shhh :wink:

I had a Little Phatty but really only used it for bass. To be honest, I like the bass the minitaur produces better than the Phatty. Plus it’s less than half the cost, small enough to be somewhat portable, and the editor works as expected.

I highly recommend giving one a test drive to see if it fits your style of music.

1 Like

you aren’t going to hurt anything with cv on the minitaur, all my moog synths do great with midi and cv

you may have to run the cv tuning procedure on it if the note is off using cv, however, moog support is great

basically, you could use your cv track on the a4 and still have 4 synth tracks available…the cv tuning on the a4 can be a little wacky too but nothing you can’t straighten out

matteo - Please do not cross-post, this has appeared on :three: threads now (at time of counting :zonked: ) … that’s bad form my friend !

See the guidelines

@avantronica oh okok thank you!

1 Like

Sold my Minitaur after a year of dealing with it’s b/s. Great sounding synth, hated to see it go, but a huge majority of it’s capability came from it’s practically unusable editor and the CV never really worked right. Still in the market for it’s analog replacement. Been looking at AS-1.

Doepfer Dark Energy - Mk1 if you can find one in particular.

1 Like

I love my Minitaur. I have it CV’d to my A4. It was a pain in the ass to get it working properly (and I had to do it all over again after I did the last OS update on the Minitaur).

The only thing I absolutely hate on the Minitaur is the lack of a screen. I can’t believe Moog didn’t put at least a little screen on it so you could see what patch you’re on.

Am I crazy thinking about purchasing a second Minitaur for Duophonic and/or Lead sounds? I know pitch is limited, but for a mid lead sound? It just sounds so warm and juicy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually advice against getting a Minitaur, unelss you REALLY want that specific Moog bass sound. I had one but sold it for a Doepfer Dark Energy.

Minitaur does do that sorta low-mid synth bass sound, but lacks really deep bass as well as harsher sounds. It’s a very specific synth for a specific need, and IMO much too limited for it’s price. You can get a Dark energy (any version) for around 250e, while the Minitaur is 350-400€.

What about a DSI/Toraiz AS-1
I got one after my Minitaur bricked. Did all the bass my Minitaur did and better. Now I have two.

1 Like

I always kind of glaze over any mention of Pioneer/Toraiz when it comes to synths, but thanks for mentioning the AS-1. This thread being resurrected couldn’t be more timely, and the AS-1, on paper, has everything I’ve been thinking I need in a mono. Especially since I’d be able to do this:

3 Likes

WRT minitaur alternatives, how does the Erica DB-01 stack up?

…my minitaur is the only analog synth i regret these days for selling it…

it’s the most simple and cheap way to have THE moog bass…

it’'s limited, yes, but therfor it does what it does, no fuzz…simple as that…
the best one trick pony of all…while that one trick can still be tricked in many directions and even colours and timbres…but the LOWEST OCTAVE remains SOLID, no matter what…
exactly because of the one most obvious limitation that it offers no hi register beyond c4…
that makes sure the analog osc’s don’t drift in pitch along ALL lo register…
a limit for the magic of solid and stable low ends…

u can do fancy textures with everything else for expressive bass lines…just drop layer the right harmonyedges underneath with the taurus and u got it settled…truu analog…

that as an osc input feed for ur a4 is a KILLER…

ooops…just realized, that train has left the station years ago…still truu, though… :wink:

3 Likes

That’s the thing. Having the initial phase of the oscillators matching (different than osc sync) is what gives it that beef, along with the round nature of Moog VCOs in general.

As much as I love and have been a proponent of the AS-1, it can’t match the low end of the Minitaur. Pretty much nothing can… maybe the original Taurus? Oberheim TVS Pro?

2 Likes

Do keep it in mind, that there’s issues concerning AS-1 midi/program/sequencer continuity issues. Causes many people grief, but I use external sequencing and don’t change programs over midi, so I never have those issues.

For right out of the box low low end, I agree. But at the low low end I just find the AS-1 has more possible tones, and mixed in with a low EQ bump it’s perfect.
The only thing I miss about the Minitaur is that it sounds more like my original model D than my Subsequent37 or Voyager did!

ps, AS-1 $ vs Minitaur $$.
Minitaur is almost twice the cost in my neighbourhood.

2 Likes

Something of a one-trick pony, but it does that trick very well.

2 Likes

Why don’t you hunt down a Sirin? They’re delicious :grin:

3 Likes

Yeah that’s a big consideration, pretty much the same price here.

I’m definitely not knocking the AS-1, as an all-rounder it’s the best monosynth under $1k in my opinion. I used to have two :slight_smile:

But these days I’m more into more specialized synths, like the DFAM and Lyra, and the Minitaur does what it does so well, with minimal fuss… really easy to dial in the exact low end you need.