Moog Minitaur et al., opinions?

Yeah that’s a big consideration, pretty much the same price here.

I’m definitely not knocking the AS-1, as an all-rounder it’s the best monosynth under $1k in my opinion. I used to have two :slight_smile:

But these days I’m more into more specialized synths, like the DFAM and Lyra, and the Minitaur does what it does so well, with minimal fuss… really easy to dial in the exact low end you need.

??? Can you elaborate ??? What is a really deep bass for you?

Do you consider this Deep Bass :

It can go deeper (one Octave).

5 Likes

Does the Minitaur overlap with DFAM or M32 in any way? I was thinking of selling my M32 as I don’t really need its higher octaves. I can’t part with my DFAM. That thing is a beast.

I like the Minitaur’s small footprint, would fit nicely next to my Digitakt.

It really doesn’t overlap that much IMO. The M32 is definitely more flexible, but the Minitaur is more solid and beefy. Both do have a similar overall Moogish sound defined by their signature ladder filter however…

Depends on your setup needs.

1 Like

Just a quick mention that my Minitaur has been paired with the Elektron Analog Drive pedal for the past while and, my good god…devastatingly huge.

I’m sure many of you AH owners have experienced similar sensations as well.

High praise here.

That is all.

2 Likes

Yeah - I’ve been wondering about pairing my Minitaur with a stomp box of multi-effects unit for stage work. Analog Drive might be an interesting prospect. Amp simulation is something I often use with Minitaur when pushing it through a DAW.

Helix stomp would probably really make it shine, but it’s not a cheap option.

I dont know if you have instagram, but I have one of these pedals for bass and its a monster. Best distortion for bass ive tried, and ive tried many. Usually distortion on bass mean loss of or muddy low end, but this pedal pulls it off brilliantly.

Having spent my musically formative years listening to a lot of Rush, I was always intrigued by being able to play bass by foot while playing guitar or keyboards. When I started to get more into synthesizers, I wanted the sound of the Moog Taurus but couldn’t afford it. I grabbed a Roland PK-5A unit and used that for quite a while to trigger a Taurus VST which did the trick for a long time - until Moog released the Minitaur. I grabbed that pretty quick and it’s been Moog bass heaven for me. I keep my Minitaur right on my desk beside my main MIDI keyboard controller, and underneath said desk sits the Roland unit that controls the Minitaur. I usually keep the Minitaur set as close as possible to a classic Taurus sound but this thing can do so much more than that, and knowing that’s only a twist of a knob or two away is awesome.

2 Likes

Be aware that most drive pedals suck some bass out of the signal. Dedicated bass pedals work best.

1 Like

Most of those, even. There’s not many that actually keep the low frequencies

2 Likes

I use a Spaceman Mercury IV with my Minitaur sometimes. Great combo.

1 Like

I’ve actually been mostly using my SH101 for sub bass over the Minitaur recently.

Some simulated saturation, compression and EQ does the trick nicely. In software, I tend to use Fabfilters multi-band distortion, to saturate the high end and leave the bottom clean.

Factory white Minitaur :heart_eyes:

1 Like

There’s a lot to like about the Minitaur, but wanted to add some additional perspective for those thinking of picking one up.

Definitely loved the Minitaur’s sound, but the unlabeled secondary functions killed it for me from a sound design perspective. It can do a lot more than the front panel suggests, but it is hidden behind awkward secondary functions, and some functions that are only available through the VST.

That said, if you are familiar with using VSTs in your workflow, if you have a lot of patience learning secondary functions, or are fine with great vanilla-ish sounds with a ton of bass, it’s a great little box.

1 Like

I just pretend those functions aren’t there :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Same here. WYSIWYG.

1 Like

I took a look at the oversynth overlay for the Miniature and decided I didn’t like the look of it, but just labeled everything that was on it with the labelmaker on mine. What’s VST-only on it? Looks like just CV mapping and CV to midi?

I have one of those (several in fact)

3 Likes

Re: Minitaur Under the Hood features- weren’t they OS additions after the original release of the product? Note to designers: add extra knobs to all products for expansion. LOL

All of those featured are accessible via MIDI, no?

1 Like

Can recommend this video to all Minitaur users:

Everything except the CV-to-CC routing, I think

1 Like