Moog Matriarch

Sorry, I deleted my 2 previous posts because I didn’t want to spread confusion.

This is the Sonic State video that inspired me to try the FM patch at 16:15. I struggled to find something to do with it that would give me musical ideas… then my buddy who has more synthesis experience got something interesting going with it in no time flat. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

FM on the Matriarch is a rowdy beast. Takes a bit of patience to tame for sure. Sometimes you need to patch a signal through two attenuverters in a row just to get the precision you need.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, this patch is all about that! Also, 7 out of the 8 mult jacks are occupied too. Velocity patched to something in the filter, and aftertouch patched to pitch bend.

The SonicLab guy left out some oscillator patching details that took me a bit to figure out, but I think I got most of his patch plugged in.

Based on this wisdom, every sound works well in every mix, as long as you have the mixing skills.

3 Likes

Just trying to shine a little light on the often parroted phrase that an OB-6 doesn’t sit well in the mix.

But I do like your idea that “every sound works well in every mix”. That might make a good tattoo.

4 Likes

I think it’s great for techno, so will try and share a few patches that work well for me.

1 Like

Here is a quick patch I made. Stick a kick on It, and you’ve got yourself the next big techno release. Just remember to sort me out if you go to the top.

5 Likes

Sounds almost like the MnM at times. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I’m following a Matriarch thread as I just got one and bloody love it…. And now I really want a OB6 as well. Damn this GAS. Damn this thread.

7 Likes

Can’t say it’s special in any way but it is a nice, full sound!
Thnx

Few cool sounds in this video:

8 Likes

It’s special because I made it for you.

7 Likes

:joy: in that case I have to say it’s magnificent!

I like the drum machine patch. Looking forward to exploring this in the near future. And then experimenting with connecting Roland TR-06 trigger outs to Matriarch gate inputs and/or connecting something from Matriarch to the TR’s trigger input.

1 Like

Nice! I like that patch starting around 9:17 with the resonance cranked and FM on the filter. Also always pleasant to hear the Matriarch as FX processor for external audio - I think this is one of its under appreciated super powers

1 Like

Just added this to the list of thing to explore on this machine. One idea I’ll explore is sending output from my Roland MC-101 to it. There’s a Youtuber who loves his Novation Circuit and MC-101 grooveboxes. He mentions the “polish” of his MC-101 as a positive and “lack of grit/heaviness” as a negative.

As much fun as I’ve had looking at gear that I don’t own and bantering with folks here about them, I’ve been feeling a comfortable reduction in GAS of late by contemplating areas of exploration for my current gear.

Check out this video, it sold me when I was still on the fence about the Matriarch. Really good techno session as well. I particularly like the melodic section from 44:12 - 49:00, although there are other great parts where me makes it sound more dark and gritty.

4 Likes

FYI: anyone in the Brooklyn area, this is a good deal for a Matriarch…

3 Likes

I’m in a forever synths acquiring mode lately.

Basically trading out less immediate stuff (AR and Octatrack get a pass to stay of course).
My best music in recent times has come from recording audio of live performances rather than just “writing it”. I want instruments that are good to play.

In that vein:

I decided to be okay with an ms-101 vs an overpriced sh-101 (it’s blue and has the ms-101 label).

I picked up an excessively low priced MS-20 FS (green, yay) recently.

I haven’t owned a Moog since a LP stage I sold years ago. I almost got a subsequent 37 but something just didn’t feel right to me and I never pulled the trigger.

Matriarch finally has grabbed me and I have one on the way!

Since I’ll always have some eurorack I thought it just made sense. It’s a great instrument without euro. I always like potential built in so I don’t get bored or feisty. This really seems like massive potential without skimping on immediate playability.

I got the clown car edition to remind me to have fun and not take things so seriously (super important).

13 Likes

I got around to trying the Richard Devine patches

Snapping Rubber is kinda the stereotypical (in my mind) Richard Devine patch - pretty wild and random sounding - a challenge to wrestle into something I could use in my music.

Register The Shift - has potential for ambient exploration

Scrambled Bass - you don’t need to patch this if you just want a Moog bass, but it’s really fun to play with the arpeggiator turned on.

1 Like