Moog and inMusic announcement

i believe InMusic produces most in Taiwan.

Company ownership is slightly more complex than owning a car. You donā€™t own shares of your car, you own your car. You could contribute your car to a limited company against a certain amount of shares. After transfer of ownership, you would no longer be able to sell the car but only the shares.

no unfortunately youā€™re so correct

Honestly fell out of love with Moog when I early adopted the Sub Phatty. Build was terrible, cheap rubber sides that became sticky, keys that went yellow in two years.

Moog has a great legacy, but was also extremely overrated and bypassed with its modern offerings when compared to other modern day analog synths. Sub37 vs Pro 3? Yeah no contestc Pro 3 runs circles around the Sub37. IMO the Novation BSII also beats the Sub37.

5K for a Minimoog was always a controversial choice. Especially when you see how Sequential brought back the P5 for way less.

Not saying the Minimoog isnā€™t great, but users were definitely paying the maximum brand tax and that always felt dodgy to me coming from a company that said to care so much about the music.

4 Likes

Also for those rushing out to buy an American Moog now. Donā€™t expect too much profit unless itā€™s the Minimoog or one of the other reissues.

Iā€™ve decided to return my last bought Akai product just so I donā€™t have a bad taste in my mouth anymore. The older I get the easier it is to hold my fingers up in the air against the greed. Not that Iā€™m rich (although I probably have more than others) but it just doesnā€™t sit well with me.

I could also buy a couple Moogā€™s secondhand hoping to make lots of profit but than I would be no better than those I point my 2 big fingers towards.

In my opinion we need more companies that produce less overseas in shitty countries where people are extremely underpaid and work/live in the crappiest conditions. And I rather pay double or triple when thatā€™s not the case.

As someone living in The Netherlands I have to be honest and say I donā€™t see much difference between US working conditions and those of China.

Iā€™m simplifying it ofc, but whatā€™s the difference between working in a chip factory in China vs working in an Amazon warehouse? In both cases people are underpaid and work/live in crappy conditions.

Not saying this to poke, just honestly donā€™t see much differences.

13 Likes

Iā€™m from the Netherlands as well and Iā€™m by no means perfect. But I do think it matters and also to speak out against it. All the tiny bits together can form a big problem for these companies.

Also for those rushing out to buy an American Moog now. Donā€™t expect too much profit unless itā€™s the Minimoog or one of the other reissues.

You might even see loss. A certain possibility is that they shift production overseas in order to reduce the price to consumers and sell more volume.

For a lot of synth enthusiasts, the distinction between American and overseas Moogs wonā€™t make a lot of difference, especially if it means itā€™s cheaper and easier to acquire. (But it will lead to lots and lots of confusion for people entering the synth world, as people make claims ā€“ perhaps founded, perhaps unfounded, no one knows at this point ā€“ about differences in quality, sound, etc. between the two.)

2 Likes

No one owns shares of the company anymore.
And that was my point. Itā€™s not in the best interest for someone buying a company outright for make it profitable, or just get it IP assets, to let someone else own part of these IP assets.

Keeping a company in fiscal trouble during a buyout in employees hands is pretty much a no go in 90% of situations

This doesnā€™t really apply to Taiwan, where an awful lot of this stuff ends up being built.

Working conditions there are comparable to most Western nations and quality of output, especially in the areas of electronics and fabrication, are second to none.

Most of the bike industry moved to Taiwan years ago, nothing cheap or shitty about their operations over there.

And just for a bit of balance, hereā€™s conditions in some of the UKā€™s garment factories.

21 Likes

"Moog" is at two shows coming up end of this week and next.

Machina Bristonica ( thread )
Synthfest UK ( thread )

And China is about to takeover Taiwan.

In every country shady stuff happens but itā€™s far easier to do something about it in the UK, America than it would be to do in China etc.

Iā€™m not talking about China.

Iā€™m talking about Taiwan, a pretty economically advanced and democratic society with comparable (and in some areas superior) civil liberties to the west.

Obviously itā€™s not a utopia, but my point is that this idea of anything being made in Asia coming out of some awful sweatshop whereas everything made in the west is both of higher quality and without moral corruption is just bullshit.

23 Likes

people tend to forget people in other countries are people too

10 Likes

Iā€™ve been to Taiwan a couple times, once for work and once for holiday. It is a truly awesome country!

It has something for everyone: incredible mountains, rainforests, even beaches, super cities, great food, and diversity of culture.

7 Likes

Ok that was not what I was trying to imply.
Just for facts I would never want to live in America even though itā€™s part of the West. It would also be one of the last countries I would visit for vacation while some countries in Asia are absolutely amazing. To me America is a good example of what the rest of the West should not be doing.

4 Likes

Would it? I still see people in UK and the States getting very bad treatment. American labor laws are terrible. At will employment is an absolute disgrace and imo puts employees in very risky positions with no legal backup.

Iā€™m getting off topic. Just wanted to point out the fact that ā€˜Made in Americaā€™ does not translate to better conditions for employees.

5 Likes

And still I think it would be easier for Americans to change working conditions in America (or for the Brits in the UK) than it would for Chinese people living under the dictatorship of Xi. If we want things to change we need to start in our own backyards.

The dictatorship is a fact and absolutely terrible on many levels.

The fault of bad working conditions however is also to blame on the west. Itā€™s the companies from the West that choose to produce there and allow rights violations.

3 Likes