Moog and inMusic announcement

Wow - a little surprised at this news, but it makes sense and will be a good move.

https://www.moogmusic.com/news/moog-and-inmusic-new-chapter-innovation-and-collaboration-begins

3 Likes

They’re ganging up on Behringer :sweat_smile: :laughing:

5 Likes

Maybe they’ll join the modern electronic music marketplace and pony up some proper Moog modular systems that that can be had for less than five figures…

If anything, it may mean less buggy firmware… oh, wait… :laughing:

14 Likes

So this is an acquisition, right? Not just a “collaboration”.

22 Likes

Sounds like that to me.

Or on the Moog unionization efforts (my initial, potentially quite wrong and certainly cynical, take)

11 Likes

Bring on the digital sampling with Moog analog filters…

7 Likes

I’m hoping it could mean some more affordable and interesting new ideas emerging - not that there’s anything bad about Moog’s existing offerings.

How about a Subsequent 37 with DAW integration and a Korg-like multi engine function…

Or maybe it’s just a plain old cash injection to keep them afloat

1 Like

Something feels not quite right in the house of sand and moog…

But in this climate, survival may be all that matters anymore - best luck to their team and to their continued success. Glad they put a positive spin on it.

10 Likes

We’re excited to share the news that Moog Music has officially joined the inMusic family. Read more about the partnership in this letter from our President, Joe Richardson.

Yeah, it sounds like InMusic has bought Moog. “Partnership” is quite vague here. Is it a good news? We’ll know soon enough.

5 Likes

gotta do what you gotta do to survive, innit.
it’s a tough market out there, especially with Uli lurking around.

Sounds like the head of Inmusic is a moog fan, so that’s a plus. I wish em the best.

4 Likes

I hadn’t heard of inMusic. Their suite of brands is quite a list: https://www.inmusicbrands.com. Most of them have held a fairly consistent character over the years I’ve been aware of them (since the 90s). I can’t speak to quality issues 'cos I’ve only bought from three of the brands before, and spaced out over a long period.

So, at first glance, they don’t seem like bad company for Moog. They don’t immediately whiff of “profit above people” like a lot of private equity, nor “shave every last inefficiency off and flood the market” tactics like Behringer.

Feel free to tell me I’m wrong. I like to learn.

Good luck to Moog.

2 Likes

Haha. Hopefully the deal comes with a few lawyers to help fight Behringer :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

So…no longer a good ol’ employee-owned music company huh? Historically Moog acquisitions haven’t ended that well.

13 Likes

Why does this image come to mind…

14 Likes

Ugh. :frowning_face:

6 Likes

Yeah, they threw “collaboration” into the press release in an effort to make the whole arrangement sound less corporate, but the thread title isn’t really accurate, as this absolutely is an acquisition. “Moog joining InMusic” would be a better title.

12 Likes

Sounds like a whole bunch of hard-working employees in Asheville being let go…

12 Likes

The ones that were employee-owners presumably get a cut of the purchase price.

The ones that weren’t employee-owners (presumably the ones who unionised)… I can’t say.

All of the friends of employees i’ve spoken to said the company was not solvent and going down, and the unionization effort was in peril as a result. So i’m glad they’ve at least kept the company going and I hope their employees can get a fair shake or move on to a company that can both balance their books and support their employees having some representation in the workplace

11 Likes