Moog and inMusic announcement

Yeah, I agree, I should have been clearer. I meant specifically that using a contract manufacturer has less visibility into the quality control than in-house assembly, (In china or the US or anywhere) and also there are lots of challenges giving a contract manufacturer very clear instructions as to what is a “good” quality passing unit. I work for a US based contract manufacturer, and this is a huge challenge, just getting good enough instructions to be able to provide the customer with exactly what they want. With your own assembly operation you can ostensibly have experts who know how to properly test and calibrate everything. I have not actually worked in that environment so I don’t know how successful that is with relatively low wage local employees under your own roof. But a lot of eurorack modular manufacturing works this way, with the original designer doing the final assembly and testing, and I think in that situation you are more likely to have a better product (without making super in depth testing and assembly documentation) than it being completely assembled by the contract manufactuer.

But setting up an SMD line is super expensive, so for a lot of people it makes sense to use contract manufacturers for the PCB assembly, but then do the final assembly, calibration, and testing in house, rather than use a contract manufacturer.

4 Likes

If they were making so much profit from their products, they wouldn’t have needed to sell the company, and would probably have had the funds to protect themselves from clones. Their labor was not cheap, even at what were low wages for the area. Stock was pretty routinely depleted, it does not appear they could have made more units and simply sold them cheaper given their original structure. Hence the investigations of offshoring before the sale.

Should they have moved operations to elsewhere in the US instead? Any US manufacturing is expensive, whether it is ground up assembly or just final assembly of largely pre-populated components, and moving the design team may have been more difficult.

I find it pretty interesting we’ve not yet heard from any line workers at the Music Tribe factory city. Not even canned “it’s great here!” statements.

4 Likes

So the Moogseum in Asheville continues.

It is a 501©(3) non-profit under the Bob Moog Foundation. This is independent of Moog, so continues unaffected by inMusic’s stock buyout.

A non-profit is allowed to raise money that is tax-exempt, as long as the profit is used for the chartered educational purposes. These purposes can be pretty wide-ranging under IRS regulation. Money can be raised through what is called Unrelated Business Income, which also can be pretty wide-ranging in source.

So for instance the BMF is right now raffling off a Memorymoog Plus. Synthtopia article.

I think they may be seeing some former ( and present ) employees dropping by.

2 Likes

Pop will eat itself :frowning:

This is a funny, sign of the times article.

The Moog – inMusic offices are moving from the near suburbs of Asheville, to the city center, into a former local newspaper office building and a floor above a vinyl record production company, which is also a bar and cafe and music performance space. This is all reported in the local newspaper that used to occupy that same building until it was bought out by a national newspaper conglomerate.

Not sure if this will work with Moog Recordings Library which i think is in the UK, and also produces vinyl records – they seem to have been somewhat inactive since 2018. It might make sense.

ADDED : Quite surprised Moog hasn’t been scheduled for Superbooth having just exhibited at a much smaller show Synth East - Norwich. You think it was time to show the Mirror. ( thread )

ADDED LATER : See below, Moog will be there, they just aren’t listed on the Exhibitor list yet.

5 Likes

I thought Moog don’t usually announce their presence at SuperBooth, as they’re usually one of the ‘surprise’ guests?

There’s usually a few unannounced booths each year for unsurprising surprises(for lack of a better term).

Edit - apparently they’re already listed

Just to clarify, officially that booth is tba, so I’d guess that’s where inMusic are. Elektron also pop up on the unlisted ‘list’ too -

1 Like

There is something wrong with the Superbooth 2024 list, because Moog was omitted from this official list :

https://www.superbooth.com/en/messe-and-exhibitors.html

which skips from MOK to Moon Modular.

Good to see that Moog actually will be there. Will need to be more careful using exhibitor information at the Superbooth website.

1 Like

They’ll be there with a next generation Polymoog. (speculation)

You mean the Mirror ?

That’s standard dude, a lot of companies stay “tba” as a surprise, if you check the booth list there’s tons of tba booths.

You can find them listed elsewhere on the site with placeholder text, but I get the feeling that isn’t meant to be public information.

Like i said.

Good job finding them elsewhere !

1 Like

Moog Migrancy abounds.

1 Like

While all the synths you mentioned might offer more. None of them sound like a Moog.

1 Like

Would be good to define the Moog sound. a Sub Phatty does not sound like a Minimoog for example. If it’s the ladder filter, Pro 3 has that too.

You know what I want from Moog… Minitaur MKII.

Just a bit more hands on control and maybe 2 voices?
And because it’s InMusic they should easily be able to do so without making it more expensive.
I’ll be more interested in that than a new battleship that’s gonna costs thousands more.

3 Likes

Sirin mkII would be nice too.

1 Like

I seriously doubt that inMusic will be able or willing to produce at the quality levels that Moog proper did. Not sure about cheaper as well, they’ll probably try to cash in on the premium the brand name achieves before they’ll match price point to new quality point.

1 Like

This is my fear as well but I hope to be proven wrong.

1 Like