Monomachine Vs Nord Modular/Lead/Wave

I own them all. My non-practical choice would be the sfx-6 - it’s just a beautiful thing to behold. Not to mention that the mm is plenty capable. However on a more practical side I would go for the Nord Modular. So many options. The Lead is a beautiful synthesizer too but the Nord Modular will get you the same sound (nord modular mki is the same engine as the nord lead) with more options.

2 Likes

I bought a Nord G1 and a Monomachine for cheap around the same time in 2014-5 - sold the MM ages ago while the Nord is currently sitting 30 centimetres to my left. It’s been increasingly frustrating trying to keep the editor going on MacOS (atm I have to edit it with my work laptop) but it doesn’t stay cold for long. I definitely have regrets about selling the MM, but I felt like I hit a wall with it pretty quickly, whereas I’m still finding new things to try in the Nord every time I switch it on.

For example, I’ve been playing more abstract noise music with a friend of mine and can run most of what I need off the Nord with a mixer and a couple of external effects. I’ve gone into a fugue before each set writing new patches that range from faintly moist atmospheres to full spectrum static blasts, following hunches to see where they go or pulling apart existing patches and recycling bits for my own use. It’s a fucking laugh once you’re blasting the PA with four completely different patches running at once and totally beyond what you could do with an equivalent Eurorack setup.

That being said, I’ll echo what people have said above about using the tools you already have access to, especially since we’re talking about ageing instruments with overinflated market value. Autechre are more productive than ever now that they just run everything off Max!

3 Likes

I don’t think it matters what they use. They sound like they do cuz it’s them. They sound like Ae with the mc303 setup, the Elektron/Nord setup and the Max setup.
Pull out the sounds they like in those machines.

I believe gear switches happen cuz there is the search for inspiration in a diff way of doing something. They’ll always sound like Ae. Not cuz of the gear tho

Side note: getting the editor to run in Mojave (and I’d imagine Cat) is a drag. I could only get G1 editor to werk. G2 wouldn’t run. And fuck getting a pc just for that.

2 Likes

I honestly haven’t heard a lot of Autechre. I think mostly Amber? I had that for a bit. I have utmost respect for them…Saw them in Portland years ago. Some of the best techno I’ve ever heard. I like techno, so… Yeah. I’m in my MnM honeymoon faze right now. Would love if someone would borrow me their Nord Lead for a while… But right now I have this MnM to figure out.

I would definitely buy a cheap old windows 2000 just for a Nord. Would be nostalgic.

1 Like

Thank you for all the awesome responses, everyone. I’m pretty much set on going for a Nord Lead 2X after everything that’s been said and my own research. Plus 20-voice polyphony seems like a luxury compared to Elektron gear haha! The Modular looks amazing but as it’s discontinued and the software is ancient (plus, I only have Macs), I don’t think it’s worth the hassle over just diving into something Max/MSP.

I mentioned Autechre not because I want to sound like them (an impossible task!) but to get in the same ballpark for basses and pads to add to my own downtempo/hip hop creations, but my note choices and a bunch of other factors will change them into something else.

And as the Lead 2X is cheaper than Monomachines (generally speaking), you’ve saved me some money! I think I’ll wait for the right unit to come along that’s in good condition and fairly priced.

Best music forum on the internet. Thank you all again for the detailed responses!

(Also, @mattp, is that you doing the Boiler Room set? If so, wow, that was totally amazing, engrossing and I’ll be checking out more Yves de Mey work for sure!)

3 Likes

I think the DN is great for autechre style sounds.
I can recommend the Nord lead 2x not enough though. Great synth. Very late 90s ae nostalgia. I also hear NIN fragile when listening to nord sounds. Miss this synth

3 Likes

Yes, I have DN and love it but it’s nice to mix things up on various tracks. My JU-06A is a great alternative, but not the right choice every time. I’m in no rush to add things, so this is more of a long term plan. M:C coming next. Can’t wait!

1 Like

If you want THAT sound, get a Nord 2/2x and hook up one pair of outs to a Midiverb II (Bloom preset) and other pair to a Quadraverb (early model). With a few tweaks you’re there.

2 Likes

Ha sadly not :slight_smile: That is the excellent Yves de Mey.

1 Like

Well, it’s a great recommendation anyway!

Agreed with @craig, awesome performance.

1 Like

this is maybe the 4th time ive posted this vid in a thread, but if you close your eyes you’d be shocked to find this isn’t sean and rob jamming in max

5 Likes

Thanks. I will listen with eyes closed, headphones on tonight :slightly_smiling_face:

Great choice @craig. I have a friend who uses that model for her ambient live sets. She gets these amazing textures out of it. I hve no idea why the 2x seems to be the bellwether for the early Nord Leads, but she said if I did a get a Lead that’s the one. Maybe the filters? I don’t know but good choice.

1 Like

If you can get a SFX-6 for a similar price as a nord - absolutely go for it. I remember using a SFX-6 in a store years ago (last one in stock) and loving the joystick and the sequencer lights and the keyboard. Its a different experience from the standard monomachine. The sales guy and i couldn’t fathom why elektron left off the joystick from the newer MMs.
Nord wise, the nord lead 1 is quite good. And the nord micro modular sounds great. both are pretty cheap. Maybe get a nord micro modular and play that from the SFX-6 !

1 Like

tons of that for sure! one of the first synths you hear on that album on Somewhat Damaged is an arpeggiated Nord Lead 2. I have the exact sound programmed on my Lead 2. Into The Void is another one.

Leaving Hope on Still has a preset Nord Lead 2 sound on it, i’d have to fire it up, but it sort of sounds like guitar harmonics.

2 Likes

nice!
yes. I also read that he created many of the electronic drums on fragile on the nord lead

1 Like

Just a quick update for all those who helped me pick out a Nord Lead 2X over the SFX-6:

I’m picking up this beauty tomorrow night. I found it on Reverb for a decent price, and then found out the guy was based in Malta like me, which is amazing considering the size of this tiny Mediterranean island. So no need for postage or a long wait. Can’t wait to play it :blush:

10 Likes

Man, the Nord stuff is sooo amazing. Lucky you. Have fun. A dream would be Elektron and Nord getting together for a red box…6 voices Nord. Elektron sequencer…Anyways, have fun!

2 Likes

Yes, I’m sure I’ll be feeding it some OT midi madness before long. My gf is planning to play it live while I concentrate on OT and guitar :blush:

1 Like