Monomachine Love Thread

That good, eh?

I bought a SY22 recently for a bargain price, because it had several broken keys (which I replaced) and a busted line out circuit (gonna fix that but the headphone out works fine). Itā€™s a great synth, but I canā€™t get past just making ridiculously spacey pads with it. Still, for that itā€™s really great. I need to boot up my old XP laptop though and get one of the editors going so I can see how deep that 2-op FM goes :smiley:

I was a skeptic when it was announced, but itā€™s really become central to me now. Otherwise digital sources I love like Reaktor and the MM have taken on a whole new dimension when heated.

5 Likes

Shit.
I had managed to push it far in my GAS list, stuck behind impossible goals so that my wallet was safeā€¦
This one is on heat again now !!!
:heat::heat::heat::cold_sweat:

Waking this puppy up to chime in on custom digi waves. The first couple of times I tried to upload some it wouldnā€™t upload and i gave up. They would just write the top wave and it looked like I would have to send them one by one, which wasnā€™t going to happen. My MNM went largely unused because I never warmed up to the sound but felt like there must be more I could do.

Encouraged by all the love on this thread I downloaded and renamed 64 random single cycle wave forms from Adventure Kid.

To get c6 to send them I upped the time in the configure screen to 1500 (thatā€™s a big number) then made sure to select all and press the digiwave button before sending them. Finally, they all sent and the sound difference is amazing.

Plocking a cross fade between the wave forms is super expressive. You can route note value to wave form, which is cool, and the overall sound is way more modern.

So, thanks mnm love thread!

3 Likes

Iā€™m gonna have to reattain those Adventure Kid waveforms and load them in! Thanks for the idea!

Cā€™mon just do it, you know you want to

1 Like

Oh yes I do.
But Iā€™ll have -500ā‚¬/month starting next month to get more time w/ my kidsā€¦ I have a feeling GAS wonā€™t last long ^^

Spent some time with the Mono alone yesterdayā€¦ There is no such thing as too many LFOs !!!

2 Likes

How did you get them playing in C? The AK waves are tuned to Dā€¦

Thereā€™s an alternative pack somewhere, someone retuned them to C and reuploaded.

2 Likes

The search begins. I love my MnM btwā€¦ just want to add to the thread. Personal faves are the SID Arp mode going from single notes to arpeggiated notes in a single track. And the SRRā€¦ I just love the crunchy sound it gives to the BBox, I prefer it to the RYTMā€™s BRR.

A friend of mine wants in on the MnM but the prices are going up pretty quickly. Yikes!

1 Like

out of interest, how does the Immortals pack of waveforms sound like?

Like this:

7 Likes

whoa. loved it immediately and the fabulousness just kept on coming. cheers for the link action :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itā€™s free. Grab it.

3 Likes

can someone explain to my how the resonance works with the mm? im thinking its just the hpq dialed up mixed with a base and width turned to around 9 o clock? does lpq effect resonancy? I noticed the more resonancy seems to lead to a thinner sound? if anyone has some good tips with what they do to get shimmering tones let me know!

Check page 30 of the manual, thereā€™s a useful diagram to explain it.

The MM filter uses a base frequency value and a width value, and by combining those you can make it effectively a low pass, high pass, or band pass filter. You therefore have two resonance values, LPQ (where the upper filter cutoff is) and HPQ (where the lower cutoff is).

Key tracking of the filters is on by default on the MM, you can turn it off in the kit > assign settings.

2 Likes

Ok, I put my words in this thread cause Iā€™m a MnM lover.
Since few months, my favorites tricks are those :

1/ I empower the sound of the unit by using it as a two timbre machine. Very often I do this :

• part 1 a sound generator routed CD to part 2 Chorus and part 3 reverb.
  • part 4 a sound generator routed EF to part 5 Chorus and 6 Reverb or Dynamics and reverb.

Nothing very original, lot a people here practice this. Very lovely sounds with that and a numerous quantity of ways to module and sculpt the sound.

2/ I use my Pyramid to empower the Elektron silver sequencer and bring to it new abilities. So the combinaison of the two sequencers gives the MnM a real unique power and geatly reinforce the live capacities. I can have a mix between the loop and the continuous (over 4 bars limit) part.
Zillion brings also great way of creating parallel melodies (I mean melodies wich are nearly identical but never the same).

A great machine, I really love the FM flavors.

5 Likes

[quote=ā€œfinalform, post:98, topic:5322, full:trueā€]Key tracking of the filters is on by default on the MM, you can turn it off in the kit > assign settings.
[/quote]

Iā€™ve said it many times before on this forum, but I keep keytracking on 90% of the time, at least HP filter tracking, with the BASE set at around 8 or 16 (or sometimes as low as 4), and HPQ set to a point where it begins to fatten up the low end a bit. It results in a really nice warm sound that Iā€™m surprised isnā€™t discussed here very often. Even if Iā€™m turning off the LP tracking (e.g. for FM) Iā€™ll keep the HP on with the aforementioned settings just to give the sounds a bit more bass. Sounds really great when you start running it a little hot through an effects machine like the chorus, good stuff!

3 Likes

this thread has inspired me to back into the monomachine. for the first time i have used song mode - its pretty cool. i tired to make a little intro/jam this morning:
https://soundcloud.com/todayidance/mnm-intro

its cool how in the song mode you can mess with the all the parameters, without worry of overrider the kitsā€¦

5 Likes