Monomachine Love Thread

Hey Nauts…So, I have the possibility of getting a Monomachine MK1. Been watching every Youtube vid/demo for the last week or so, and was wondering if the MK1 is what I want. Looks very deep, like my OT, which I now feel very comfortable with…But will i hate myself for not waiting around for an MK2? I already experiment heavily with user waves in the OT. It’s so capable for sound design with SCW’s using 64 slices, 3 lfo’s, effects, neighbor tracks. Also been using a Microfreak for strange synthesis types, all midi assigned with Plocks (almost too crazy sometimes). Well if I can already do wav table stuff with other devices, would a MNM Mk1 get me an all around Plockable digital synth?

Yes.

Mk2 also has the VO stuff which can be cool…I think those are the only differences? I think Mk1 has wave table synthesis just not custom wavetable you can put in yourself right?

You won’t get snapshots with the +drive but i don’t think it’s a big deal.

Mki, I believe has no user waveforms and not all synth engines the mkii has. You also want a +drive to get the most out of the machine.

1 Like

I’m reading the manual now. Looks like the Digipro is missing from the MK1. No user waves, which i already have in the OT. No plus drive means no way of having preset sounds right? I would have to re design a sound from scratch every time? Not terrible. Might keep me in practice.

You can have kits, but only 128 of them, rather than however many snapshots can be saved to the +drive. Preset sounds don’t exist on the Monomachine, like in later Elektrons; sounds are stored in kits instead.

128 is plenty for me. Thanx.

+drive let’s you take all your patterns, kits, etc (literally everything that’s saved onto your Monomachine) and switch from that to another one without having to hook up your Monomachine to a computer and do it that way.

I’ve never filled up all 128 blah blah blah. If you’re the kind of person who does, and you want to keep all of that precious data, using a computer isn’t so bad. I actually lost all my original patches because I forgot to save my snapshot before loading in a new one–I had assumed it just saved automatically…

The +drive also let’s you quickly switch between user imported wavetables and stock wavetables. But of course if you have a Mk1 (idk if they even have +drive options?) that won’t affect you. I’m also personally of the opinion that it doesn’t really fucking matter and it’s a feature that’s cool in theory but just isn’t used that often

So yeah. If you can get a Mk1 for like $500 cheaper and money is an issue, I’d say sure–go for it. The Mk2s are going for anywhere from $1000-$1500 USD these days so I don’t blame you.

1 Like

Counterpoint: for me, the Immortal Waves pack (consisting of waveforms sampled from a Moog Model D) greatly benefits the wavetable synthesis and IMO sounds a lot better than the stock waves. You can of course stick them in the OT but you can’t do the same ensemble and wave interpolation stuff there.

I also value the +Drive highly. I have a MD mk2 (non-UW) without the plus drive and I really wish I could snapshot like I can on the MM.

1 Like

I got it. It’s friggin rad. Sounds amazing. It’s more than I thought. It actually does have a S-wav machine, just not one you can load your own SCW’s into… I love digital. Like Nord G1 digital, so this thing is fun as hell.
The coolest thing so far is realizing that it has 4 individual outs…and my OT has 4 inputs…YES

2 Likes

You can actually have 6 individual outs. While a and b are set up default as the main stereo out you can actual change this so a and b instead function as individual mono outs.

2 Likes

Thats just overwhelming…the possibilities…Anybody doing crazy routing with this set-up? I just spent over two years getting to know the OT, so I’m ready for this…I think :wink:

No but now that you’re mentioning it I really wanna run each individual channel as a thru machine on my Octa…

The monomachine is really one of my favorite machines. I can’t think of any synthesizer that really comes close to it. I sold mine last year in an effort to downsize/change up my studio/workflow but listening to some recordings I made with it and reading this thread puts some pangs of regret in my decision.

3 Likes

Yea I’ve been sending the individual mono outs into my modular setup. I just plug into anything that has an audio input really. The Rainmaker loves the MnM!!! Also enjoy running tracks through analog filters. So much yet to explore.

I feel like such a jackass. I somehow scored one of the last ones Guitar Center had but just didn’t understand it 2 years ago so I sold it. Have been desperately searching for 6 months and finally got my hands on one again and feel like the prodigal son has returned. I had the insight to dump my sysex the first time so it’s so weird going back in time to the last time I heard some of the tracks 2 years ago. Such an amazing machine. Can’t wait to learn it for real this time.

6 Likes

We are going to need another octatrack…

3 Likes

Hope this isn’t too out of place, just a quick question.

Is the top plate of the Monomachine glass like the Machinedrum?

Why?

Just curious, hoping it’s as easy to clean as the Machinedrum.

geez. Anybody?