Monomachine Love Thread

The top plate is mostly metal, like the MD.

The center piece isnā€™t metal is it? the middle black part? I thought it was either glass or plasticā€¦

1 Like

its plastic, not glass, same as the MD.

2 Likes

Dang, definitely still want one though.

2 Likes

Just got MnM mk2 +drive yesterday. Iā€™m late to the party, but this oldie but goodie sounds fantastic and I dont know anything about it yet. But the factory preset patterns give a nice overview of whatā€™s possible. Pumped. Added to my MD-2 UW+,A4-2 and OT-2.

2 Likes

Plastic, but I cleaned mine up nice using a plastic polish. Canā€™t recall the name of it off the top my head, but itā€™s the highest rated one on amazon.

1 Like

If thereā€™s one thing Iā€™ve learned about the Monomachine, itā€™s that the factory patches barely hint at what itā€™s actually capable of. Have fun. :happy:

4 Likes

If you wanna dive a little deeper into content for learning there is some free soundpacks available on the elektron site and the autechre sysex floating around the internet. The autechre one in particular is mind opening regarding what the Monomachine can do.

4 Likes

agreed ^ im so glad to have the +drive so i can switch into the autechre bank when i want to feel inspired.

i find it difficult sometimes to not just make the same sounds over and over, itā€™s so easy to do stupid fake acid filter kinda stuff! i havenā€™t yet spent the time to go really deep on it, i just cant do melodies for shit so everything ends up sounding kinda dopey. just gotta keep trying!

its so pretty though!

1 Like

not familiar with ā€˜autechreā€™, keep hearing about it.

welcome to hell m8

9 Likes

You donā€™t really need to be familiar autechre to take my advice about the helpfulness of some of the available Monomachine sysex files. If you can locate the autechre sysex it is great way to see the Monomachine being pushed and flexed. The kits and sequences contained within the sysex are a great for learning some quite useful techniques.
The available soundpacks also have some great sound design to explore. And two of the packs come with extra waveform banks for the Monomachine which significantly expand what you can get out of the digipro machines.

1 Like

FAVE!

Ae gold.

+1 for the waveform packs - Immortal Waves is my favourite. Other things to explore: FX machines (chorus and flanger especially), track trigging to layer sounds, processing external gear, and the SID arp.

sounds really similar to stuff I can do on my eurorack actually. With NE Basimilus, bitcrush, DSP fx etc.

sounds good thanks. Yes, interested in deconstructing patterns and see how they were constructed.

underrated track!

1 Like

one thing i noticed in the AE sysex is how pretty much every track has the filter width down in its lower range. surprisingly not that much plocking going on, just lots of clever lfo routing.

side note, just noticed the MmM has a mute modeā€¦ sick

2 Likes

How do you load in the Autechre files, and other sound files etc to Monomachine, is it done thru Midi?My Mac doesnā€™t have MIDI outs, do I need a USB to Midi splitter box or type of converter? I have never done any of this. I havenā€™t used MIDI in 15 years.

The Autechre files are MIDI System Exclusive (SysEx) files: essentially, backups of Monomachine and Machinedrum data. Search in the manual for SysEx.

You need a MIDI interface. A sound card may have MIDI ports, or you need a reasonable quality USB-MIDI interface: the very cheapest ones may not pass SysEx data reliably.

In my opinion, you should wait until you master the basics of the Monomachine before you try examining the Autechre material.

3 Likes