Monomachine bricked?

So I’m kind of freaking out.
Today I was jamming on my MnM (mkII+), which I bought used about two years ago and have had absolutely zero problems with, when it suddenly froze. Audio stopped, screen went blank, and every LED became orange. I naturally panicked and turned the unit off, but turning it on only returns it to that state.
Now I’ve checked through every thread I can find about freezing and problems booting, but mine seems different. When it powers on, the screen is 100% blank, nearly every LED is on and orange, and every button is non-responsive. I cant even get to the screen to do a reset because the function button appears to do nothing.
I’ve attached a pic.

Any help would be sorely appreciated. :’(

I would generate a ticket. From my experience the Elektron guys are very responsive and helpful. It doesn’t look like a gerneral known issue, which is coming up every now and then … but I don’t own a MnM myself … so … :frowning:

2 Likes

Do you have another Elektron PSU ?
I would bet on a defective one…

Good point. Just tried the PSU-2 that came with my MDUW+ and the same thing is happening. Both power supplies work with the MD as well, so I think I can safely rule out faulty power supply as the issue. :disappointed_relieved:

But yes, I did open a support ticket right when I posted this.

1 Like

sorry to hear, please keep us updated.

assume you’ve tried a factory reset:Power on while simultaneously holding the [FUNCTION] key
Press the third [TRIG] key

edit: didn’t read that bit of your post, sorry man

Sorry buddy. If your MD has UW, I can try to send some MnM samples for you to play around with? At least until the MnM is back in good health?

1 Like

I had this issue with my first MM.
It was the internal PSU failing.

Sent to Elektron and fixed under warranty.
After submitting a ticket, Simon was very helpful diagnosing it before I sent it in.

2 Likes

:scream: Ugh that’s what I was afraid of. Guess I’m glad to hear someone else has had this problem tho. I haven’t heard back from Elektron yet so I’m not too sure how lack of warranty is gonna play out.

And thanks Ryan! But I’ve got enough samples to last a couple lifetimes. :sweat_smile: Thanks a lot tho! :revolving_hearts:

1 Like

Hrm, so Olle redirected me to their workshop in Japan (since that’s where I live) and said that it’s actually probably just “oxide on the internal connectors or the internal cabling that needs to be cleaned or reseated.”

Given that I already don’t have a warranty, I’m honestly tempted to just give it a shot myself. Does anyone have any advice or warnings there?

I think the biggest challenge with Elektron gear is getting the encoder caps off without breaking the shafts. Once you’re past that hurdle it shouldn’t be too difficult to remove the front panel and reseat the connectors. I’ve seen reports here of the mere act of disconnecting and re-connecting the ribbon cables being enough to fix it…

2 Likes

So I just popped my mnm open and reseated the cables and… no dice. Still doin the exact same thing. Im not like an electronics expert but everything looked basically fine inside. No visible corrosion or anything. Kinda getting worried again that its something serious. :disappointed_relieved:

Are there any other DIY strategies I should attempt before taking it to Tokyo?

I feel with you.

This seems to be more than a problem of electrical connections. If you have no experience to analyse this issue alone, I would recommend to contact Elektron for help, which might be a chance for DIY, or take it to a repair facility. Beeing no electronics expert myself, I would at least take no chance to make things worse :cold_sweat:

It seems, your MnM needs some expert love and analysis :wink: … I think, there will be a solution

From memory there a lithium battery on one of the boards underneath the ui board. Try taking the battery out, leave it out for a while, then put it back together. I had an issue on mine once years ago where it got stuck while booting. after reseating cables and taking the battery out (then back in), the mnm came back to life. I’m not sure which action fixed my issue though as I did them both at the same time.

Also, will the unit go into test mode ok, and does that show any issues?

1 Like

FYI I had exactly the same pb a couple weeks ago.
Blank screen, all LEDs on except trac 1 & 2 + synthesis & filter.

Sent it to Sweden, the LCD was diagnosed as defective and replaced.

My beloved :elmm: is coming back in a few days.
Can’t wait.

3 Likes

Hello! 初めまして, new user here… well, long time lurker and I was a member or the old EU site…

Anyway, kinda sad reason for a first post, but I have the same trouble with my MnM!
Actually, I had this exact same problem 3 years ago. Elektron Japan support was very swift and pro about taking care of it. They said it was a power supply issue, gave me a new one… and it solved it!

Well, until now… MnM mkII lights up (all LEDs and screen) and never boots the OS and is unable to go into test mode.

I am using the same (new) power supply that solved the issue last time and it still happens. In fact, I have a MD mkii and the power supply works just fine with it. and when I switch, use the MD power with MnM… the MnM still has the problem. Sooo… looks like its actually something internal now. :disappointed_relieved:

Have been in contact with support here and it looks like there is no choice but to send in my MnM for inspection and repair.

Anyone have any new info, updates, or experiences with this problem?

@summerdata did you ever send your machine to Tokyo to be fixed? How did it work out for you?

@LyingDalai It was just the LCD!? Does everything work ok now?

Yes, LCD has been replaced and it works fine now :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very glad to hear your MnM is all fixed up and working now!

Mine is in the Tokyo repair shop now and hopefully will get an update any day know what the issue is.

We gotta take care of our silver babies!:elmd::elmm:

2 Likes

Hey Rew, any updates with this? Having the exact same problem with my Monomachine currently and have a performance with it next week :’(

This is likely an internal cable that needs to be re-seated, or has been slightly oxidized.
If you have some experienced with electronics, I would suggest that you open the unit up and press down on each connector on each PCB. This should revive the unit.

For a long term fix, we suggest de-oxidizing the connectors, a local technician can do that for you if you do not feel confident doing it yourself.

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t report back with an update.

The problem wasn’t a power supply or thankfully a pcb or anything…
To quote Simon, “It was the connector between the CPU board and the UI board that needed little maintenance.”

Tokyo Elektron repaired my machine and I had it back within a business week. I also had a wobbly input jack replaced. It cost around 4000yen (like 40 bucks). I got a t-shirt thrown in too, AND they upgraded my knobs to the rubbery nice new kind totally unasked (and un-billed) for! really OUTSTANDING service.

blairdemilo, if you have electronics experience or have a friend, then I would do as Olle suggests and try to clean and re-seat the internal connections yourself… its prob not that big of a deal. Otherwise, try to get it into an Elektron shop as soon as you can for some TLC. Might be hard with a show next week. In my case I live not so far away from Elektron’s office here so post was ultra quick.

9 Likes