Monitor(s) for very small space

Hi there -

I make my music (passionate hobbiest) in about a 4 square-foot corner of my living room. I use headphones when playing/recording. When I get to mastering, I’m at the laptop in the middle my living room listening to decent-sized speakers.

Problem is, as I get older (hit 40 this year), ear fatigue gets worse. I need to give my ears a break from the headphones more often. So I’m looking for rather small but not awful monitors. They won’t be my main mixing tools, but I want them to be good enough that I can largely rely on them to be in the ballpark of an unadorned mix when I’m playing around, and then move to headphones when recording without much of a “shock.”

I was looking at the highly-regarded JBL305P MKIIs but I feel they might be overkill for what I need. There are a number of cheaper options around $200 CAD per pair that I know will not be perfect - just looking for something nice enough in a very small space. At most, speakers will be about 2-3 feet away from each other and me. Wondering even if a speaker will do the job.

Unfortunately with COVID, I don’t have it in me to risk going to places to test monitors out, so looking for what opinions I can get, if people have particular (good or bad) experiences with cheap monitors they’d like to share.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

I had genelec 8010A small and portable and they are surprisingly good for the size
Good quality and easy to mix in a small space…
definitely can recommend them but they are a bit expensive but worth it…
seen them in quite a few studio pics on here also

13 Likes

I have a couple of pairs, but I got some of the Presonus Eris 3.5" speakers. I thought they would be near useless for audio work, but decent little laptop speakers. I wouldn’t use them judging low end, but for the prices you can get them for, I paid £66!, they are very good. I think rrp is £100 per pair, the amps are both in one speaker, so they’re very light.

I’m not going to hold them up as what I think is the best choice, just my opinion on them. Maybe the size up? I think they have every size up to 10" not sure, worth reading some reviews though.

Best option, if you’re lucky, you might be able to find a pair of Yamaha MSP5’s for £200 on ebay, not sure how that translates to CAD, they were the previous line to the Yamaha HS’s and a lot more expensive, £380 each was the original RRP, for the 5". Very very heavy and very good for mixing on. It seems audiphiles purchased a lot of them for whatever reason and they don’t tend to sell them for much.

2 Likes

I have Eris 4.5"s in a very small (2.5x2.9) untreated room - they are great general-purpose monitors.

3 Likes

Have only heard good things about these little guys. Sort of the same modus operandi as Genelecs but a fraction of the price. Fairly consistent frequency response considering their size and power rating.

Would stay away from the Presonus Eris line if I were you, not very transparent sound, not going to give you a very flat/accurate mix reference despite all the people that use them and like their sound. I read someone once call them “showroom speakers” because they sound good in the store with their low and high frequency bump.

^Great resource for looking up unbiased speaker/monitor reviews complete with charts and data.

6 Likes

+1 for Genelec, I’m on my second pair of 8020s, new ones in crispy white - they look great

5 Likes

Thanks so far, though the Genelecs are too rich for my blood.

3 Likes

IKs look to be on my shortlist, thanks! I’ll continue researching them.

4 Likes

Sure thing. Here’s a good link to start with, got some good charts and technical data as well as impressions and another outside review links too.

2 Likes

Would stay away from the Presonus Eris line if I were you

yeah mixes done on mine have translated very well for a number of straightforward music productions, headphone pieces and art gallery audio playback. You pull a mix then go & compare it on other systems.

They are cheap, decent speakers - if/when I get a more permanent room and put up decent treatment I probably won’t be using these.

2 Likes

Anecdote: I have the iLouds and I like them.

3 Likes

I had the Presonus monitors and they are definitely decent for the price, but the iLouds blow them away.

6 Likes

Earlier this year, due to being stuck in another country, I had a temporary requirement for speakers that would work on a desk, placed in the corner of a room, in conjunction with a synth.

As it was temporary I did not want to pay too much so, based on Thomann reviews, I went for the Presonus Eris E3.5.

As someone who owns quite high end audio reproduction equipment I was very surprised at how well these speakers performed so can heartily recommend them if funds are limited.

3 Likes

Just to prove my point. here’s this. I got a pair this morning for £100, which is a a laughable amount, considering original and current rrp. £258 each at lowest.

6 Likes

Deal of the Century right there.

2 Likes

Nice!

Do you mix on them too?

Yes have done a few. Haven’t checked on any big systems but translates nicely on hi-fi and car audio… often sounding better. Just be aware that any low fundamental frequencies below say 50-60hz you’ll need to keep an eye on in your analyzer (same as any small monitor).

2 Likes

I can vouch for IK monitors only if you are not doing bass heavy music. They just didn’t have the reach into the subs I needed so went to krk 5 - but for price and size. Can’t beat it.

2 Likes

Yeah I just need something small to be in the ballpark while I move back and forth to headphones.

I picked these up so will give them a try.

2 Likes