Money you’ve spent on Music Production VS money you’ve earned from Music Production…

How’s that going? :grin:

Given that we’re pretty much all in the same deficit boat… why the fk do we do it??

4 Likes

Who let this punk post in here :sweat_smile:

29 Likes

It’s a big fat lol from me. Otherwise I’d cry 🥹

16 Likes

I once got paid with beer, that was awesome!!

13 Likes

Thousands vs Zero. But it’s still a helluva lot of fun.

9 Likes

I think the same could be observed for people who play golf or pursue a private pilot license or scuba off exotic destinations…. Because it’s fun and brings joy to a finite existence.

22 Likes

value is not always monetarily quantifiable, if it were, no one would do charity work or coach little league.

8 Likes

Do not do this!

6 Likes

Amateur. I was paid with beer and coffee.

I’ve made far more money (close to $3k over more than a decade) on a self-published book that is a bit of a nerd joke/meme.

5 Likes

Busch league!

3 Likes

Isn’t this buying into (perhaps literally) the capitalist idea that nothing is worthwhile unless it brings you profit in fungible currency?

I don’t even want to finish tracks. I just want to noodle and make pleasant noises.

31 Likes

this is known as “cupcaking”, and I can tell you and music have a healthy relationship.

6 Likes

My most Marxist friend habitually turns his hobbies into profit centers. The only thing he enjoys more is mocking me for owning hardware and not publishing my music commercially. :sweat_smile: (he had a record contract back in the day, and a studio full of ‘80s Roland gear and is now 100% in the box)

5 Likes

Except I hate cupcakes (as someone who was a serious baker at one point). Can we use another metaphor, please?

3 Likes

um, you and music are on netflix and chill status?

7 Likes

Zaru-soba (slurp slurp)

:yum:

1 Like

Oh jeez. Just realized that with warmer weather approaching, I have no idea how to source soba in Lisbon. THANKS

2 Likes

There are definitely Asian markets in Barcelona where you can buy bags of soba noodles and jars of dipping sauce. Probably closer too. Zarusoba is super easy to make yourself.

1 Like

From scratch? I’ve worked with buckwheat flour, not the easiest. I have not been to the Asian groceries in the vicinity of Martim Moniz in Lisbon. There are also a couple of Korean grocery stores here and there, which I have to hit to get some kochujang. I imagine I can get dried soba, but at this point I have none. I’m not sanguine about the prospect of real mirin (almost impossible to find outside Japan and certain parts of SF/LA). White port?

1 Like

Did the math which worked out like this.
Cost of gear+cost of time spent learning and working with gear (according to what I could have gotten paid working)+cost of accessories and cables+cost of travel in time and gas+time of self promotion (haha, joking I don’t do that).

Take that number and subtract from it all the free booze, and food received plus that one time…maybe two that I actually got paid.

Let’s just say there was not a net positive.
But all the memories, feeling like a rocks…no, really popular guy during and after performing, the high after a good gig that was rocking, and all the friends I’ve made along the way (many of who’s names I’ve since forgotten, mainly because of the super good times that involved free substances, allegedly), well shit, that’s just below priceless for yours truly.

7 Likes