Modular Suggestions

It’s funny because I have a different point of view regarding the case size subject. I feel I much prefer a small focused system and as my music desk isn’t big anyway, I went for a simple 3U 84hp. I have many more modules than it can contain but I just swap them when I want to try a different kind of focused system. The Befaco Knurlies are a great help for this.

2 Likes

That’s what I wanted, but the more I see, the more I’m starting to think I’m going to need to try things and maybe not keep them to see what’s best. I think having the least modules and the best results is the way.

I good midi cc to cv converter is needed too, the MV can only do the 1 cc. Though tbh, I haven’t even felt the need for it yet.

Two ideas … one very good … one a money grave … beware of “trying things out”, particular if you have the impression that there is some “exotic” about it.

If this is your first approach to build a modular system, the only really wrong thing to do is IMO to be in a hurry. If you have not plenty of pocket money to spend, a trial and error - buy and resell approach will cost you a fortune and be very frustrating. Ask around here … no joking.

If you exactly know,

• how many and which sound sources the modular system shall have and which of them shall be used in parallel,
  • which supporting modules are needed to make any use of the sound sources,
  • how much modulation capability is making sense or is needed
  • is the instrument for studio or for live-on-the-road

Then go to Modular Grid, assemble your system, make it functional and ergonomic and start to buy your equipment.

Just as a bad and extreme example:
Put three great VCOs in a rack and three great VCFs, but only one classic envelope generator and one VCA and the entire system will be of very limited use. But having enough modulations for sound sources and filters etc. enough VCA or mixer-inputs can give you an instrument with 3 complete different timbres, which can also be used in parallel :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah I went from a 60HP to 84 cause there was a deal on a Koma case. I’m very glad I have that extra 24HP now.

Same @og_tea_boi when I run out of HP I’ll be switching things in and out. I start stressing out when I see 6U 104hp cases.

Edit: having said that I guess the MV counts as another row of xyhp. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

It’s exotic in terms of what comes in pre-built synths, it’s probably quite dull if you’ve been in modular for a while :slight_smile: I must seem like the village simpleton hahaha.

When I say trying things out, I’ll return them, my regular place has standard 30 day returns and you can buy 6 month returns for 4%.

That’s what I’m going to use modular grid.

My main issue is that I’m aware of what a lot of things do and where they’re needed, but companies have their own takes on those things that offer expanded or even reduced functionality for say a function generator. Maybe it’s two stages, maybe it’s 4, maybe it’s 6 and each stage has sync offset…

After this chat I think I need to just focus on the core modules, the sampler/loooper the flexible delay, pick those, then work with them and see what I need from there, because I think it’s going to be a lot easier to try and predict from that point than from here, rather than trying to solve the problem in one go.

That’s definitely a good idea :+1:

No … you don’t :smiley:

BTW … flexible delay … one of the most advanced would be this:

1 Like

Great idea, those two will be a good basis. I’m not sure it will be the case with the MV 3990, but keep in mind that involving external instruments requires interfaces to bring signals to the same level (modular is a lot louder than line instruments), there are modules for that.
Also, keep some room for utilities and VCAs, their need will emerge naturally.

2 Likes

Yeah, the day after it came I started looking for splitters and stack cables and cable inverters. It sounds better than I thought, but already I’d like extra control over modulation and routing.

I’m too used to carefully planning things and even though the 1st rule of planning is that plans change the second you try to execute them in the real world, trying to plan this all in advance just won’t work.

1 Like

to start off with modular Id had the following experiences:

— have a clear focus, what you want to do with modular and what not

— a modular solution is always the most expensive one, so dont try to mimic standard synths and samplers, a mimeophone is cool, because it does something different, but for standard sampling Id prefer a digitakt or octatrac

— for sampling experiments, the make noise tape and microsound system is a good choice (if youre into music concrete)

— semimodulars eg from moog or makenoise are perfect to get your toes wet

— the biggest advantage of a modular is the user interface, you get everything at your fingertipps, so one function per controller is king!

— although its tempting to go for small modules with lots of functions: dont! they often have complex menues or button presses that you will forget and dont want to look up in the manual each time you use them. for complex tasks use a software modular like the grid from bitwig or vcv rack

— expert sleepers makes very good interfaces for audio and midi to connect a daw to modular gear, i use befaco for audio and headphones out

— start with a single row skiff with 104 hp, no matter how tall you first case is, it will become too small and youll have to buy a second one anyway and a skiff will always be handy for smaller setups

2 Likes

That genuinely does look like what I’m after Morphagene looks/sounds perfect.

goatofneptune Cheers for those pointers. I just sold a Motu Ultralite mk2 a few weeks ago, was thinking of UA, but maybe I could get mk3 828, more cv outs. Im on Bitwig now anyway. I have a Reaktor license, but I’m not using it atm. Could you send CV out from from Softube Modular? I haven’t looked at how software CV works.

1 Like

you will need an audio interface without a dc filter. the expert sleepers es-8 is perfect for that task or the new es-9 with combined headphone and line out, but its hard to get.

Apparently those cheapo Presonus ones can, 4 outs. I think if I ran it via MAX I could just use it as a CV box.

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2019/02/namm-2019-presonus-studio-series-dc-coupled-usb-c-audio-interface.html So do the even cheaper 24c’s.

You can also be very versatile with a midi to CV converter like this one …

https://polyend.com/poly2-midi-to-cv-converter/

and this kind works with every midi equipment like computer, Beat- or Keystep pro, Pyramid and many others

2 Likes

Some great advice in here already, I especially agree with a lot of what @goatofneptune says in his post with a few slight amendments. Regarding small modules with lots of functionality, I would be a bit more nuanced. I don’t think they should be avoided but you definitely don’t want too many in your rack. One or two along with more straight-forward knob-per-function is a good balance for me.

Counter to the popular view, I’ve found myself in the opposite situation to many. I had 104HP for ages and was quite productive but when I got a bigger case I things getting quite just too complex for me cope with. It’s always been a hybrid approach and so I’ve slimmed down again recently (keep your eyes peeled for some second hand bargains I’ll be posting on the sales sub-forum later this weekend!!!).

Anyway, to add some further recommendations:

ALM Pam’s New Workout - is an absolute workhorse of modulation for surprisingly little outlay - 8 channels and the little screen is pretty usable.

Disting EX - I’ve got a Mk.4 and whilst it is useful, it definitely suffers from the issue of being too awkward to use without a manual unless you memorise just a couple of algorithims. The EX’s screen makes it much more usable and you get the bonus of being to use it in dual-mode if you prefer.

Dreadbox Chroma series - A really keenly priced set of modules and couple of really useful multi-function modules.

Mutable Instruments - Popular for a reason and my personal favourite is Tides - so flexible, so easy to use whether it is for modulation or as an oscillator. Plaits is also pretty amazing for what you get in such a compact package but is easily controllable - that said, mines might not make the cut for my smaller case…

Bastl - Definitely worth considering with the (relatively) new metal front panels - Skis is a really useful dual decay envelope with VCAs. Cinnamon is one of my favourite filters (possibly of all time) as it sounds great and has extra controls to change the character/boost resonance which gets some lovely grit happening.

Future Sounds Systems - The Spectral Devastator is just a fantastic filter also - make an MS20 filter seem shy and retiring. Their gristelsiser modules smart too through I’ve never used them.

I was thinking the Dfam would be a good companion for MV3900

1 Like

I was intrigued by the Qu-Bit Surface when it was announced. 8-voice polyphonic physical modeling module for only $300, which sounded great but I was confused about how the polyphony works because I could only see one V/octave input. Then I stumbled across Ricky Tinez’ video in which he plays with it and explains why he likes it over the Mutable Instruments Rings.

I still don’t have a real modular but based on what I’ve seen and heard, I like Rings a little more because it seems to give a little more control over the chord, and it has the secret Easter Egg code. Generally though my interests are somewhat similar to Ricky’s - rhythmic modulation built around a modest selection of voices, except I’d also want the capability to create structured compositions. I don’t have the talent of a Keith Fullerton Whitman but he set a bar that I’m aiming for.

His video on must-have modules. It’ll be fun and interesting to compare each to comparable modules already suggested in this thread.

2 Likes

Cheers for those. I’m actually interested in physical modelling and modal synthesis. Seems like the Intellijel Rainmaker can do both, due to having 16 flexible delays and comb filters, not in the same way as those though. I have the Softube Rings, while I doubt it’s 1:1 in sound, it’s a lot better than you might think.

Riuozami

Maybe, though the Mv is cabaple of some very DFAM sounds, I’m building up a load of clips to put on the thread here. Using them both to switch between perc and tones could be very interesting though.

So I’ve identified the Morphagene and Rainmaker as the likely choices, those are better than what I expected to find and both would offer a huge upgrade for all my gear, not just the Modular. I noticed some places do now have the SV1b as well, so I’m tempted to buy that, it has a selection of filters, an inverter, two more oscs, multi mode filter, better midi to cv… I love it how it sounds already.

I’m going to get Morphagene 1st, then just stick with that for a month or try to :p. I’ll have some specific case questions later if anyone can help.

Mainly I’m considering the Arturia RB 84hp and the Inteligel 64hp with extra 1u rack above. Though just buying the Cheaper Doepfer 64x2 separate cases is pretty tempting.

I ended up looking at pedals too…

Nice- let me know when you post some MV as I am interested in this semi from PM

Well … then I would say … go off-modular and get a MicroFreak for small money :smiley:

There are great algorithms inside from Mutable Instruments and Arturia. The mod-matrix is very usefull and the best is, we can store our patches. The keyboard has a west-coast touch and if your fingers are fast, you can “shred” like on no other and create very interesting sounds.

1 Like

I was actually going to get that, even again recently just for basic keyboard usages,seq and the cv out. I have started the Modular now and the Mimeophone is beyond amazing for what I need, it’ll make my life a lot easier that with Rainmaker and what I already have is a lifetime of sound.

1 Like