Modular bug bit me. Hard

This gets my vote as the best post in elektronauts history :laughing: :rofl:

1 Like

Perhaps one day, yes. But not today.

See the above posts, I’m taking the easy route. :smiley:

Which semi-modular:
Subharmonicon or Minibrute 2s ?

I don’t “need” either or. Just looking for something fun to try this hybrid/semi-modular/VCV setup and do some patching.

Subharmonicon looks fun, but seems like the novelty might wear off. Minibrute looks like it might get more mileage and be more useful and it’s cheaper

Just answered your own question :wink:

Id go with the Arturia.

Just saw this

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0E6H

So it’s a copy of Plaits?
Is there any reason not related to personal morals to avoid Behringer in your Modular rack? It’s got a cool waveform display that the OG or clones doesn’t have. :man_shrugging:

Yeah all your other modules will shun and ridicule you, they’ll play tricks on you, unscrew the rack mounts when you’re not looking, invert your signals, unswitch your switches that kind of shit.

2 Likes

This ^

I remember my wife calling me and telling me that she thought our kid was doing crack. I told her “Thank God!” She was like, “what??” I replied, “I thought you said he was into Eurorack. I was relieved to hear it was only crack.”

Seriously though, I love and not love modular. I feel like the cost is beyond absurd, especially when I have Ableton Suite (M4Live plugins) and VCV Rack. But at the same I love the knob per function and the ergonomics/everything in front of me in one rack. It feels like a playground. And it excites me to plan and re-plan the rack and to buy new modules. But the cost is so stupid. I understand why it’s expensive but it’s still mind-boggling that a filter or a snare drum module can cost as much as an entire synth or drum machine. Also, I find the drum modules weak in modular. Yeah they can have a lot of controls to modulate, which is their major plus, but sonically I find them sub-par compared to drums in drum machines and software, although the new WMD Kraken is pretty cool sounding for a snare.

4 Likes

Yes, same here! I started sequencing/modulating with the ES-9 and sequencing Bitwig Polymer with the OT.

1 Like

I’m trying to stay conscious of this.
All I really want in the actual rack is some CV controllable effects and noise makers. I’ve got enough synths and I’m happy having semi-modular synths so I don’t have to mess with the whole architecture in a rack.
I’ll use VCV for any utility stuff I need.

I’d like to just get a few modules that will more or less “work” in a small rack without a bunch of hoop jumping and utilities. I’m eyeballing some granular effects. I’ve got a whole other thread going on that right now.

What’s up with this never ending ‘stay focused’, ‘plan ahead’, ‘stick to a budget’ business?!

Go fucking nuts! Have a riot! Try everything!

8 Likes
2 Likes

lol

What’s a module with looping function (I don’t know, 5-10sec-ish?) under $300?

I really like the idea of the Magneto, but it’s huge and expensive.

:rofl:

1 Like

Capture and loop/manipulate or just playback pre-recorded, pre-loaded loops?

My knowledge of modules is limited but Morphagene (among a few others in its price range) would do the former and Disting MK4 would do the latter.

I believe Morphagene can also load loops via SD card but it’s not a module intended for straight loop playback.

If you’re feeling patient (to wait for a decent deal), check out the Mannequins W/ as well. It’s probably the most feature-packed module in 2HP:.

that looks pretty good

See you on the other side of $10k lol!

4 Likes

I just watched the Loopop video on the Mimeophon

I THINK it’s really cool, but I’m still not sure I completely understand the Zone/Buffer thing…

Is it really cool, or just another delay?

Does anyone have it that can further sell me?

To be fair it’s a really fun $10,000.