Modular bug bit me. Hard

I’ve been on this VCV Rack thing for a week or two now, and well, ok, I had no idea how much fun modular was. I’ve avoided it (my wallet has avoided it) for a long time, but it’s here.

So, I love it. Now the question is how to move forward into modular land?

Here’s what I’m thinking:
I’m going to do a “hybrid” setup with VCV doing the utility duties and hardware doing sound generation. I think instead of starting full out with individual modules, I might just get a small rack with a Polyend 2 to interface with VCV and use a few semi-modular synths to get going. I’ve already got a couple things and I’m eyeballing a few more.
I might have to offload a few things to get this up and running, but I’m all in, it’s really cool.

Is the Polyend 2 the way to go? It seems the most cost effective for a MIDI/USB/CV thingy. I looked at the Expert Sleepers stuff, but it’s a little more expensive to get the same amount of interface. But, it looks like it might be more easily expandable. I assume I’m going to need a lot of cv i/o to make this worth doing.

1 Like

Welcome to hell.

45 Likes

I‘d get poly2 and ONE semimodular…
expand on that semimodular with individual modules later.

I‘d also give vcv some more weeks before buying too much at once

2 Likes

Welcome to fun !

9 Likes

I didn’t like VCV Rack, so I don’t have any direct experience with integrating it. But don’t you need a DC-coupled audio interface? Poly 2 does MIDI to CV.

I pretty quickly realized full-blown modular would allow me to modulate randoms and LFOs and since my semimods would not it was at that point just fighting off the boredom with my semimods. I think if cost is an issue, semimods are fabulous value. But if you can stretch a small skiff, I recommend people do this.

If you enjoy using VCV Rack and really plan to integrate with any external modular then I would definitely go for an Expert Sleepers or any dc-coupled interface (MOTU, RME UFX for example). MIDI pales in comparison to CV, plus it can also be used for audio in and out.

Edit: you can find a used Expert Sleepers that would fit this bill for good money these days

For your external start small and get things that can’t be done in VCV, namely analogue oscillator, wavefolders and/or filters, a snappy envelope or two, etc.

4 Likes

Semi modular synth what fits in eurorack is good start.

it could be heaven or hell, you can do everything with a modular , you just have to know exactly what you want to achieve unless you will spend too much and end nowhere. i like to use the hermod since it’s a clever hybrid between a sequencer and midi / cv interface , really nice module.

4 Likes

Poly 2 is really good, I have had one for about a year. I don’t use it with my laptop but it works really well to sequence euro from the digitone.

Be warned, Euro is highly addictive. It took me about 3 years before the GAS finally wore off. Payday modules happened every month without fail. The more you get the more you can do. It is pretty damn awesome to be fair, I regret nothing!

1 Like

Buy a “maths”, thank me later ! :rofl:

5 Likes

If you aren’t code/command-line averse, the Monome crow module is great fun. Can save you a lot on modulation, logic, sequencing, utilities, etc. and you can sort of create your own modules. As of pretty recently you can use it as a (weird, minimal) synth in its own right too. It’s also an excellent i2c (or ii in Monome-speak) helper.

1 Like

Ask yourself what you want to do with modular and focus on those modules.

Don’t post every bleep on social, nobody cares :sunglasses:

3 Likes

This is standard advice and is good but “what you want to do” can be vague too. I had analysis paralysis about goals for like a year before I jumped in, and f that. Generally, though, the more focused you are, the less money/churn you’ll go through.

2 Likes

Me too :joy:

But … never stressed about it, first world problems at large!
Personally prefer to spend this kind of money with a vision.

2 Likes

This, plus Boredbrain have a new module that connects via ADAT to your interface:

5 Likes

Have I heard bug???

Try dis https://www.bugbrand.co.uk/

I’ve purposely avoided VCV rack, ModularGrid in overwhelming enough… but I would say:
Semimodular or two (or in my case four) and a small skiff to limit the hp (I went with small 4MS Pod 48x)…
A good semimodular can save $$$ over separate modules. For instance the Pro 2 alone is basically the equivalent of a 6U 84hp modular shoehorned in a keyboard. Then you can focus on unique modules like Beads that can’t be replicated in other hardware.

Whilst probably not the fun answer you’re looking for, if I was starting out in modular, I’d stick with VCV Rack for a while. Learn the basics without having to take out a mortgage.

I’ve used an Expert Sleepers FH-2 (plus FHX-8GT expander), Sixty Four Pixels CV.OCD and Korg SQ-1 for MIDI to CV conversion. All very capable. I’m sure the Poly 2 is great too. TBH my Expert Sleepers ES-8 gets more use these days, in conjunction with CV Tools in Ableton Live. No point converting MIDI to CV if you don’t have to.

The best thing that I’ve learned over the last year of doing the same thing is to teach myself how to know what I want. Nobody is going to know exactly or even generally what is going to work for you. I’ve seen a lot of great YouTube videos that show you the basics and things to be aware of. Had I started my journey armed with some of these basic tools and concepts, I would’ve ended up in a different place, or rather, in the place I’m in now without all the expense/trial-and-error.

Two channels/playlists that I’ve recently watched that go over things in an easy-to-digest way are the following:

and

While I’m sure you understand the basic components that make up a traditional synthesizer and how the signal flows through them, the above videos will help you answer questions about how a modular system might work for you. It is time well-spent and both of those channels offer a wealth of information.

I think it would be a great exercise to go through the above then start up with a blank VCV rack and see what system might work for you. After finding something that resonates with you it would then be a good time to ask questions about specific modules.

“I really enjoy this module in VCV rack. What would offer similar explorations in a hardware version? What other modules or types of modules would I need to really get the most out of it?”

It is an incredibly fun and rewarding journey. Doing a little bit of self-education and exploration before you start planning things out and making purchases will help you get off on the right foot. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Modulargrid IS Virgil

3 Likes