Modor NF-1

I’m surprised there isn’t a thread for this synth in this forum. I’ve been obsessing over this synth and ended up giving in to my obsession. I rationalized it, and just ordered one. This will be my only digital synth; I’m really hoping the FM oscillators, format filter, and comb filter are as awesome as they seem. Can’t wait to make all types of vocal choir & crazy string sounds with this beast.

http://www.modormusic.com/nf1.html

1 Like

Was interested also when it was released but to me it seems a little ‘jack of all trades master of none’ in its oscillator configuration.
Reminds me a little of mutable instruments braids in that regard. Not sure anything new and ground breaking here and quite expensive imho
Definitely would be worth a look though

I like that video. Cuckoo coaxed some sounds out of it that really helped push me over the edge.

I felt the same way at first. Interestingly, what really led my interest to the Modor was the recent release of the Roland Boutique for the VP-330. I love those eerie synthy human choir sounds, and vintage string machines. The Modor is like the perfect creation for these types of sounds with its various filters, oscillator textures, complex noise types, and complex envelopes. I love it’s nasally, lo-fi nature. I think your critique could be applied to the Monomachine, and we all know how silly that would be.

I found these demos on SoundCloud

1 Like

No don’t think it could be applied to the monomachine. On a synthesis level perhaps but the reason the monomachine was ground breaking way back then (2004) was largely due to its sequencer. Its now 2016 and in my opinion if you are going to invest in a digital hardware synth at this price it needs to offer a little more I feel.
Saying that I would still love to have a spin on one one day, but it is definitely a synth I would want to try before buy.

I was also considering a Virus TI, but despite all its features, I didn’t feel as compelled by its interface or sound. I think the implementation of the format filter is actually quite unique, and it’s customizable. I guess your critique could be applied to the Nord A1 as well. I think the Modor offers a greater level of complexity though. I’ve already gotten my head around the architecture without ever laying a finger on one yet, but can already see how it’s making me think outside the box. You could set up FM oscillators on all 3 oscillators, and thats a basic algorithm you’ll find on a 6 op. It’s not just an FM synth though, and that’s precisely what I like about it. It seems to exploit a lot of useful aspects of different digital algorithms, stylistically into one visionary creation that has a personality. I’ll wait until I’ve had a chance to noodle with it before saying much more.

Always liked the look of the Modor and it had a place on my maybe list for a digital hardware synth to get but having got my hands back on a FS1R I think that’s plenty for me just now!

Can you imagine a FS1R with some sort of knobby Modor like interface bolted on?! Now that’d be amazing!

1 Like

How you getting on with it ?

Still hasn’t arrived. I ordered it two Thursdays ago, and was hoping I’d have it this weekend; appears it will be arriving on Monday instead.

Do seem nice and a bit different …

I don’t reckon it’s multi-timbral, is it?

I don’t get the beef with digital synthesis. I think it sounds great, and a nice contrast to analog.

Not multitimbral. The dev decided to utilize all resources to make it sound good within its limitation of 8-note polyphony, and one sound at a time. He used the same DSP56725 dual core DSP-processor at 250MHz that is used in Virus, Waldorf, and Nord synths.

ah, shoot.

I entered music-making as a loop pedal guitarist. Probably why I’m such an Elektron fanboy because of the immediate access to layer-making. Definitely a fine looking synth, though! I hope you enjoy it!

I like layers too. Three complex oscillators that even provide esoteric forms of pitched noise, a multimode filter, a formant filter, and a comb filter should provide plenty of layers of depth. The formant filter has a knob to adjust the depth of parallel processing to be applied too. The patches I’ve heard from demos have really convinced me of how complex this synth can sound. Here’s a little example (towards the end of the video) of a patch being created with FM, additive, and noise from each oscillator layered together.

1 Like

First Impressions: I had a chance to go through all the presets, and create a patch last night. I really dig this synth a lot. It is very fun to use, has a great feel (like a 70’s sci-fi movie), and I’m really into how it sounds; particularly, the comb filter, filter drive, FM with feedback wave, and square wave. This synth has a really nice PWM. The delay sounds really good to me too. All in all, very pleased with this synth after only a brief flirting. Can’t wait to find time to dive in some more.

5 Likes

Endlessly jealous.

If you have the chance please post some of your explorations/creations, there isn’t enough NF-1 stuff out there…

1 Like

Thread bump. I’m curious if those that still own the Modor have some opinions on the module. I’m looking at MPE enabled synths and the Modor looks like it’s on the list. No worries if you haven’t played with the MPE side as I’m after impressions on the sounds.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have the module and i really like it so far. I don’t use MPE but i have the Xkey 37 with Poly AT and its great fun. I got it just after the Digitone was announced and spent the 1st week wondering if i had made the right choice, after spending some time programming my own patches I am happy that i got it.
It has just enough FM to cover the important stuff and the sonar and wind waveforms are a unique feature that i have grown to like alot.

If you have any more questions then go for it :slight_smile:

I did a brief demo of a couple of patches i programmed

1 Like