Modest OT feature requests

… not talking granular synthesis here or anything crazy
just (hopefully) feasible little things such as:

audio

recorder length longer than just 64 steps (up to 256?)

threshold based sampling

slave pick up machines ability to hold divisions of master (x0.5, x.0.25 etc)

access to sample slots via lfo

(legato?) pattern changes (i.e. leave pattern 1 on step 10 and start pattern 2 on step 11 for instance) and the ability to have both “at pattern end” and “quantized on whatever” at hand, rather than a menu dive preference

midi

pLockable arpeggiator, program- and bank change

…maybe some of this is already doable and i just don’t know it. i just think the above would be little things but with a big impact
what you reckon?

Can’t you already record more than 64 steps with recorder set to max and larger record buffer?

yes you can. but not set to a specific length such as 96 for instance (when recording 6 bar loops). scaling the sequencer doesn’t help either as rec LEN refers to ‘orginal’ full scale sequences

here’s a thread from E-U discussing this
http://www.elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&func=view&Itemid=28&catid=9&id=231073#231073

I’d like to be able to use the fade in fade out options (which doesn’t work with MAX)

just saying, that if you mean automatic fade in and fade out in sampling to avoid clicks, it’s already there :smiley:

just saying, that if you mean automatic fade in and fade out in sampling to avoid clicks, it’s already there :D[/quote]
yes it is there indeed - but only works when using a specified rec LEN. and it would be great if one could set rec LEN to a specified length longer than 64 (hence the need to go beyond 64 in precise steps and not just MAX)

i’m not sure if ‘MIDI over USB’ counts as a modest request, but I have kinda got used to this coming from the A4, i’d like to keep my DIN in free for a footcontroller and use a USB midi in for a Lemur front end to the UI !

has this been discussed/explained in the past, it needn’t conflict with USB disk mode ! ?

really??? it doesn’t work with MAX rec length?!?!??! that’s a shame

really??? it doesn’t work with MAX rec length?!?!??! that’s a shame[/quote]
the point is that I’d like to be able to set up automated sampling for 6 bars, 8bars etc… anything longer than 4 bars really. that’s currently not possible (afaik)

+1 on that, 256 would be nice

1 Like

I’m new to the octatrack and surprised it doesn’t have the ‘legato’ pattern change thing you described. I think you can do this on an Electribe (you can on the iPad clone) and it’s really useful for beat juggling type effects and adding variation. For a ‘performance sampler’ this would be a big addition for me.

1 Like

really??? it doesn’t work with MAX rec length?!?!??! that’s a shame[/quote]
the point is that I’d like to be able to set up automated sampling for 6 bars, 8bars etc… anything longer than 4 bars really. that’s currently not possible (afaik)[/quote]
+1 from me too, one of the most annoying and unnecessary limitations.

1 Like

isn’t it already possible by using the scale setup and different multiplier? (ie. keep the recording length at 64 and manipulate the pattern scale! :D)

isn’t it already possible by using the scale setup and different multiplier? (ie. keep the recording length at 64 and manipulate the pattern scale! :D)[/quote]
i’m sure, but don’t quote me, it said somewhere in the manual (i’ve just read it) that the record buffer is always relative to 1x speed, irrespective of that multiplier !

nope :smiley:

now that’s a real shame. i suddenly felt glad my workflow doesn’t involve recordings longer than 64 :>

Good stuff here. The big one for me, that I really can’t fathom not having yet is some kind of version of CTRL8 like on the MD. I know the OT only has 6 knobs, so CTRL6. If I could have just a few of my favorite tweaks from different tracks all in one spot, I’d be super pleased.

I have a seriously modest request that’s been bugging me lately… MIDI control of the mixer! how can this still be missing going on 3 years after release?

is track level and track balance not what you’re looking for then, these are available per midi channel used ?

I mean everything on the mixer page – dir, main+cue levels, etc.

Regarding recording of more than 4 bars: I don’t understand why trigs cannot be used to stop recording in ONE2 mode. I got confused by that one several times. However, I can live with it.

For me, the most important change would be to play slots/slices via MIDI, but that had been discussed hundreds of times already in the EU forum. Maybe it happens sometimes, maybe not. This feature would just save 400 euros which I might otherwise be investing in a MPC500, but 400 euros seems a lot for just being able to play 48 samples on a keyboard.